jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Bush vs Gore resurrected:

1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago
  2. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

I read this hoping for some enlightenment.
    But considering the source -- George F Will is one step to the right of William F. Buckley and Orange County is so Republican the oranges are actually red -- there was nothing new here at all.

Having said that, it is heartening to see how Alaska has reacted to Joe Miller's challenge of the write-in vote for Murkowski...

3. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I just don't understand why the Gore v Bush thing is being brought back to life. Any idea, MM? Do you think it's meant as a diversion?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

it is the 10th anniversary of an historic decision.  AS GW correctly points out, the courts should never have been involved.

1. habee profile image91
        habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Duh! Thanks, Ron...I didn't even think about it being the 10th anniversary.

I think they should have done a recount for the entire state.

2. Jim Hunter profile image61
        Jim Hunterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is correct, the courts should have never been involved.

Bush won the original count and then the recount.

Who needed a court decision when the election had already settled it?

Oh yeah, the democrats who did everything they could to steal the election.

4. PrettyPanther profile image84
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

I hate to think about it.  Imagine how different things would be if Gore had won.  Would his administration have been on top of the 9/11 warnings and prevented them?  Even if the attacks still occurred, I'm almost certain it wouldn't have resulted in a decision to invade Iraq.

It kind of makes me ill to think about the ultimate consequences of that Supreme Court decision.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

Even the judge who voted against the decision says it time to put it behind.

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
      Jim Hunterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'd want to put it behind me too if I was a Judge and didn't understand the law I was deciding on.

But, I get your point.

6. OpinionDuck profile image60
    OpinionDuckposted 6 years ago

do we want to keep looking backwards, it could account for the lack of forward progress.

If we look back we see Monica Lewinsky, and Jimmy Carter failing to free the hostages in Iran.

We also see Congress and all the Presidential Candidates shirk their primary job and spend two years begging for votes.
    They were still begging for votes when the economy collapsed, and they looked like a deer in the headlights right before the deer got run over.

I am sure that we have enough problems today that time spent on them would be more beneficial than looking back.

1. Petra Vlah profile image59
      Petra Vlahposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You maight be right Duck; not learning from past mistakes and keep on repeating them is the way to go...miracles do happen and we may get different results, but do not count on that

7. OpinionDuck profile image60
    OpinionDuckposted 6 years ago

Lessons could be learned from the past, but our congresses and presidents didn't seem to learn anything, as evidenced by the repetition of history.

Korean War -> Vietnam War -> Desert Storm -> Afghanistan -> Desert Storm 2 (Iraq)

The focal point today should be China and Pakistan

working