jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)

Government takes over the Internet?

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago
    1. profile image60
      C.J. Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think a few unelected and unelectable bureaucrats have imposed their will on a growing media outlet.

Van Jones said: "We are coming for the media and that’s not all"
      He was ousted, but now three previously unknown's have taken the first steps to doing just that.

2. Pcunix profile image87
      Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is a very biased view of a very complicated issue.

I would say the FCC should be involved because Comcast, Verizon, Google et al. all have their own reasons to control Internet traffic in ways we may really not like. How would you feel if Comcast decided to slow down packets to HP and our sites because they want to optimize streaming movies?  Your answer might depend in how much you like streaming movies, of course.

Now, whether the FCC is going to help or hinder such efforts is another subject entirely, but I would rather have the power not be in the hands of corporations. If the FCC works against our interests, we can pressure Congress critters.  If Comcast and the rest are putting the screws to us, do we revert to AOL dialup to protest?  Not likely.

3. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The article lacks any sound logic or well supported facts, but it is an interesting read. It's mostly a boogey-man report based on a crystal ball interpretations of things, but, what can we expect from something on the opinion page, eh? 

I think reasonable people will have a hard time taking that too seriously outside the realm of "one guy's opinion."

2. maven101 profile image80
    maven101posted 6 years ago

This was inevitable...What bothers me is that the government, in this case the FCC, is going to bypass congressional debate and public input and start issuing rules by government fiat...

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

The Internet was never meant for public use in the first place. wink

1. profile image60

True. One could also argue that it was allowed into the public domain only to serve as a net. A net to gather information.

4. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

If something exists, it’s only a matter of time before the government starts screwing with it…smile

1. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think you mean if something doesn't exist, it's only a matter of time before the government invents it.

http://www.darpa.mil/

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
        paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol

You are right.

The government invented it, and we-the-people are now screwing with it.

It’s only fair that the government screw with it back.

However, Al Gore disputes your post.

1. Flightkeeper profile image78
          Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh yeah Al Gore, the god of the internet lol lol

2. ediggity profile image61

Well, at least you acknowledge you are biting the hand that feeds you.

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
            paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Whoa There!!! Who feeds who?

We feed the government, not the other way around. It’s called taxes.

For that matter, now that I think about it; we-the-people invented the internet because we were the ones that paid to have it invented.smile

1. ediggity profile image61

Keep up the positive and optimistic attitude.  Let us know how your Chrysler, GM, and Ford stocks do in the future.  Fight the power! lol

5. Jim Hunter profile image59
    Jim Hunterposted 6 years ago

Democrats are always looking out for our best interest.

By controlling what we read, see and hear we will be much better off.

Thank God for Obama and his democrat goodguys.

And don't forget Janet Napolitano is looking out for us 24/7/364 days a year.

I wonder what day they are skipping?

1. profile image60

They are not skipping a day. They are using that day to secure the secret "EXTRA" 7 states.

1. Flightkeeper profile image78
        Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That day is also known as National Pancake Day, the TSA and Janet Napolitano, unlike the police who love donuts, always honor National Pancake Day because of their love for pancakes.

6. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I wasn't sure what to think of it. That's why I wanted to hear from other hubbers.

1. Pcunix profile image87
      Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The most important question is do you want Comcast or Verizon to be able to throttle traffic in order to boost sites or services they want to promote?

If you don't, the next question is what would you want to do to prevent that? If you think free market competition will keep them honest, then you have the same opinion that editorial has. If not, you want Government involved in some way and we can move on to arguing about exactly how and how much.

working