Tea Party types more generous than liberals?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (37 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'm not a TP member - I find many of their views a little scary. I did, however, find this article interesting:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 11064.html

I have Democratic pals who are all for giving tax money to the needy, but they NEVER contribute their OWN money to charities. Do you think that's because they expect the government to take care of it? What if the people I described don't even pay income taxes? Do you think they're being hypocritical, or are they just following the income redistribution strategy? If these people don't have the money to donate to charities, should they at least donate their time?

1. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who knows. I have only known one hard core liberal that was a big giver. She gave of her time and money. She was very wealthy. She was constantly helping needy children in her own community. She routinely re-decorated her home and gave the old stuff to the needy.
      What she told me is this. Conservatives give more money. Liberals give more time. Conservatives give to the world, Liberals give to the community. It was her take on the issue. She was extremely distrustfull of large charitable organizations.
      I do think that on the whole, center right people give more money than center left. I do think that for the most part liberals do believe that it's up the government to ensure the welfare of the citizen. They see income redistribution as a vehichle to achieve that. Of course the conservative sees this as robbery and encouraging irresponsibility. I believe it's a little of both. There will always be those who need help. The key is help, not a hand out. Liberals would do themselves a favor by encouraging responsibility and honoring achievement. Conservatives would do themselves a favor by becoming more involved in the community and therefore more understanding of those in need within the community.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good analysis, CJ! We seem to have similar ideas - I'm a right-of-center moderate on most issues. I also know some liberals who are very generous, along with some stingy conservatives.

I don't trust a lot of large charitable organizations, either. I mostly contribute to local charities. I like to know where my money is going and who is helped.

2. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this is a pretty accurate assessment.  In my experience, many liberals distrust the ability of private charitable organizations, especially religion-based ones, to fairly distribute money.  We also are aware that a good percentage of private charitable organizations are fronts for their founders to rake in money.

3. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said, CJ!  I think there's an awful lot of truth in that post.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image64
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, George Soros, Bono and plenty of others?

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
          Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If only the majority of the ultra-wealthy - and I'm talking over 250 of folks in the Fortune 500 list - were like Bill and Melissa Gates. They have not only committed most of their huge fortune, but their considerable management skills to finding the projects worth doing , and recruiting the right people to make those projects work.

Though the Gates' have company, most people who commit themselves to making huge fortunes are unwilling to part with any significant portion. These misers are not tea party folks - they are the top 1 percent and they OWN 38%  of net worth in this country.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why is it so hard for you to recognize that the "redistribution" has been going mostly one way--from the middle class and the poor to the very richest Americans?

1. habee profile image93

Ralph, you completely missed my point.

2. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And it's the conservatives who support the policies that do this.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

The Wall Street Journal article doesn't seem to address the fact that conservatives tend to be older than liberals, and that affects their ability to give. A young adult just starting out in his career of choice likely has student debt higher than a full year's salary. That's probably going to prevent that person from making a considerable donation to charity. Although they might not give monetarily, I see plenty of liberals (almost all of whom could be described as modern "hippies") working at the local food bank.

1. habee profile image93

Good point, DB. I hadn't thought about age. BUT...I think I read somewhere that as a group, liberals make slightly more money than do conservatives. I need to find that.

2. habee profile image93

Conservatives donate a larger % of their income, according to this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/opini … r=1&hp

Of course, if they earn more, they have more disposable $.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
        uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Salvation Army Kettles are a more insidious plot to separate you from your money than the IRS.  They waste a much larger percentage of the money given to them freely than the federal Government does of the money it compels from you.  Who honestly thinks that the insulated, distant, bureaucratic federal government is more compassionate, more connected, more efficient and more "charitable" than a private organization but the delusional.

Time and again, story, report and study demonstrate that the typical, Mid-westerner with those out dated middle American values that have come to be called conservative and religious and intolerant give more of everything than those who willingly call themselves liberal or even moderate.

I am puzzled how we have come to despise the values embodied in our national foundation.  Perhaps what frightens people about conservatism, religion, the tea party, Constitutionalism is that all of these espouse a standard.

I am puzzled by those who quake in fear that there maybe a real standard for living a good life.

1. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We reject those things because they don't work, are intolerant, impede progress and have brought misery to millions.  Those seem like good reasons to me.

A wonderful demonstration of no shared universe of discourse Thank you for your continued contribution to my contention that conservatives and liberals live in worlds.

We do live in different worlds and we truly detest the others views.

Fortunately those of us at the extremes don't matter. The vast, muddling middle is who actually determines our course,

You misinterpret my attitude toward liberalism.  I don't despise the views of liberals.  The liberal perception of the world makes me sad.  For exactly the same reason that schizophrenia, alcoholism, poverty, cancer and communism all make me sad.  What ever makes the full realization of our nature more difficult saddens me.

The conservative view makes me far more than sad - it frightens me. 

However, on the "rights" issues,  I do recognize that your views might be 'right" if we define that as bringing general happiness to the most people. If we consider individual rights (as I do), then one persons misery is far more important than a little discomfort and accommodation by the majority.

Individual rights?  Isn't liberalism predicated on the "we" not the "I?"  Isn't it collectivism, the direction of an elite, the power of centralized government that all mark liberal notions of how a society is to be run.  Aren't personal property, individualism, the citizen as sovereign all antithetical to liberal notions of society?  Isn't the pinnacle of liberal politics and economics the subsuming of all personal, individual property, effort, endeavor to the "common good?"

Aren't you the one who said that personal property only exists because "WE"(my emphasis) say it does?  Liberalism is poisonous to personal, individual liberty and there is yet another reason that it saddens me.

3. Pcunix profile image90

People tend to get more liberal as they age, not more conservative. Churchill didn't know that, of course.

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Conservatives tend to be more religious; their charity includes donations to churches,. Take that out and they are miserly.

1. habee profile image93

Not true, PQ:

"According to Google’s figures, if donations to all religious organizations are excluded, liberals give slightly more to charity than conservatives do. But Mr. Brooks says that if measuring by the percentage of income given, conservatives are more generous than liberals even to secular causes."

Conservatives still donate a larger % of their income, even to secular causes.

Wonder how moderates rate??

Well, my side still gives more. That's because we are smarter and make more money smile

(please do note the smiley)

1. habee profile image93

Lol, PQ! Wish i cud be smarrt lik yu librals!

Merry Christmas, PQ. Good to see you back and in good form!

Well, you can wish, of course smile

Intelligence is vastly overrated, anyway. When it comes to most real life issues, I trust my emotional response much more than what the rational side says it thinks.

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Liberal families earn 6% more, on average, than conservative families.

5. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...working within the charitable sector...social services...the people who donate come from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds....all i see is that people in general are very generous whether it is time, money or products such as food and clothing....i don't look or try to figure out what their beliefs are....for me, it doesn't really matter....as for age...i'm always amazed at how thoughtful children are...comes from their parents/teachers influence....

...on Monday a group (about 20) of mentally challenged adults (downs syndrome, etc) dropped by to donate food and gifts...it was amazing...everyone was so happy to bring some good cheer and drop off donations...it made my day...and brought a few tears to my receptionist...she was overwhelmed by the spirit of those folks....i see these acts of kindness all the time....and it always warms my heart about how people are generally good, kind and thoughtful....

Merry Christmas all!

1. habee profile image93

I agree with your general assessment of humanity! We're teaching such values to our grandchildren.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image61

I appreciate your good heart - Merry Christmas to you.

6. Hugh Williamson profile image76
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

A Gallup poll concluded that religious people make less money than non-religious but they give more to charity. It also found that religious people make more of an effort to help a stranger or volunteer at local charities.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111013/World … thers.aspx

I'm not sure I completely agree, but they do have data to back up their conclusions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)