W's book has sold far better than Clinton's did. Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (79 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Bush's memoir has sold almost as many copies in one month as Clinton's memoir has sold in 6 years. WHY?

A. people think the W book will be funny

B. people are amazed that W could actually write a book

C. people hope to discover if the bad decisions were made by W or Cheney

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Habee:
      I think the answer is simple: The majority of Americans believe in a "god thing."
      Dumb-as-a-rock dubya proclaimed, as did his controlling father, that this "god thing' guides their lives and decisions.
      Dubya screwed up terribly, led by his father, but didn't get his "willy" puffed on in the oval office (golly, wasn't Kennedy banging Marilyn in the whitehouse?).
      Dubya appeals to the dumb-as-a-rock believers in mythical "god things." Soooooo...they buy his book.
      Qwark

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A lot of people I know asked over and over..

'What Was he THINKING???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

So there was a lot more curiosity than with Bill Clinton whose positions were known and predictable.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It sold more because I promoted it. Obviously.

Even former US presidents look to see what IzzyM is publishing next!

LOL

1. Aya Katz profile image83
        Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, good to know that you are this influential. Can I recruit you to sell my books, too?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Who knows. Especially since there were lots of charges of plagiarism and other wholesale copying.

3. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Probably because Bush supporters can read. 

big_smile

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL!! Clinton was super intelligent, but I do believe W is a lot smarter than most folks think. I wonder if Laura helped with the book...

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bet Laura turns out to be one of those great "woman behind the man" stories when history is done sifting through.

1. tony0724 profile image60
          tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am no fan of Dubya either , but Laura Bush is a classy lady.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
            Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup

2. habee profile image93

I always liked Laura.

4. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 13 years ago

I actually read the book and it was SO poorly written, flow-wise and stylistically, I really appreciated that he wrote it himself. There are tons of famous people who hand their book options off to ghost writers or editors, and he clearly didn't do it. Plus it was semi-funny.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess Sarah Palin's ghost writer wasn't available.

1. yenajeon profile image70
        yenajeonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aw, I can't hate on Sarah Palin. Not, saying she is a genious, but she's a pretty awesome-looking mom!

5. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Thanks to the impeachment, Clinton's years were already an open book.

6. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Plus there is something very fascinating about a book written in crayon.

1. habee profile image93

LOL!!

7. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

If Laura is a "classy" lady, why did she marry "Classless" dubya?
    Money? Or did she think she might be able to perform a miracle and educate an obviously boorish member of the Bush clan of oil barons?
    QWark

1. habee profile image93

Maybe she was on a mission from God??

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha...I wonder why she couldn't teach him how to pronounce: noo-klee-er?
        My gransdon, 8 yrs old, used to say noo-cue-ler. He learned to say nuclear...first try.
        Dubya couldn't learn to pronounce it correctly in 8 yrs.
        Is it no wonder we're damn near bankrupt after 8 yrs of dubya lunacy?
        arghhh!
        Qwark

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
          BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, Al Gore had trouble saying the word "loser", sooooo....

2. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps the concept of love is foreign to you?

8. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

timing, I'm sure many found the book under their christmas tree. I think Clinton's book sold more the first week of release than Bush's first week, but his book wasn't published during holiday shopping season.

probably a number of people want to 'understand' the mind of this man. I'm not a fan of Bush W, but will probably read the book at some point. I thought Clinton's My Life was an excellent read, also a considerably more substantial read being almost twice the length.

I also like Laura.

9. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Whatever happened to the trend of First Pets writing memoirs?
    I'd like to hear from those cute little westies.
    Didn't Barbara Bush's dog write a book?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd buy Bo's book.

10. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

And Obama can't pronounce "corpsman" or "Massachusetts," and he's supposed to be really smart.

Hukd on fonnics wurkd fer mi!

I bet he will never say those wrong again though.

Um, he should never have gotten them wrong in the first place....

Have you never mispronounced a word? You must be unique.

I'm not President.  If I were, and knowing full well that even the slightest gaffes will not go unnoticed, then I think I would at least try to make sure I didn't goof my words.

And I'm sorry, for someone supposedly as intelligent and educated as The Chosen One, mispronouncing "corpsman" or the name of a state is simply inexcusable.

I will say that I certainly never made the claim that there were "57 states"

2. habee profile image93

I bet you're right.

In W's defense, many people have trouble pronouncing "nuclear," as they do with the pronunciation of "realtor." I've heard well educated folks say "relator." My husband can't say "statistics." He knows the word and can spell it, but he always stumbles on it, wanting to add an extra "s." I think sometimes such examples are more of a problem with the tongue than with the brain. lol

Personally, I don't care if Bush had pronounced nuclear as fish smile

1. habee profile image93

Lol - nucular feesh. Can those be fried?

11. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

lol

lol

roll

12. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

That is the problem with CNN and YouTube. You can't say anything and make a mistake without it being played over and over and over. Past presidents probably made as many or more gaffes but since it wasn't played all over the place ad nauseum no one knew or cared.

Obama was in the middle of campaigning and was probably tired, do you really think he believed there are 57 states? And that was almost 3 years ago...the fat lady has sung on that, the one trick pony has died.

But, of course, it's Obama, people want to believe everything he does is wrong and awful and that no one else has ever misspoken and that therefore he is not fit to be president.

"But, of course, it's Obama, people want to believe everything he does is wrong and awful and that no one else has ever misspoken and that therefore he is not fit to be president."

Substitute "Obama" with "Bush" and the paragraph accurately describes the left's treatment of Bush for eight years. 

Oh, and you can bet that if Bush had said "57 states" it would still be the subject of ridicule three years later....

I wouldn't and I don't. Two wrongs do not make a right.

2. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only then, it was traitorous to ridicule the president. Now it's patriotic.

13. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

They can't read... and the cover picture was nicer?

14. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

Everyone already knew the dirt on Clinton, and we also knew he wasn't going to be sharing any more details in his book. Without the dirt, there isn't very entertaining stuff from the Clinton years. Was he supposed to write about how great the economy was and how competent his staffers were? People don't want to read 100 pages on the proper way to balance the budget.

With W, people were looking for some dirt. What was going on in his head during 9/11? How did he really feel about Dick Cheney? What role did he play in some of the dirty tricks that went on during his tenure (the Plame scandal, Swiftboaters attacking John Kerry, etc). Also, what was his excuse for supporting the deregulation in the banking industry that put our economy on the brink in 2008? People bought his book looking for dirt, excuses, and perhaps even apologies.

1. habee profile image93

This is kinda what I meant with my "C" choice. lol

15. Ron Montgomery profile image61

A story about a train wreck is much more interesting than one about a kid who fell off his bike.

There's a slight difference between a kid falling off his bike and Bill Clinton perjuring himself in order to deny Paula Jones her day in court....

There's a much greater difference between Clinton's lies and W's.  How many innocent civilians and soldiers died as a result of each?

1. profile image56
          C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bosnia.

What Clinton lie got us into Bosnia?

1. profile image56

It was about an oil/gas pipeline. NOT freeing oppressed people. In the case of Iraq and Bosnia failed foreign policy led to the death of soldiers and many innocents.
              Bush 1 has NAFTA Drafted. Clinton signs it. Clinton has an illegal war in Bosnia. Bush has an illegal war in Iraq. Obama runs against all of Bush 2's policies, yet he continues every single one. The wars, the tax policy, the patriot act, etc, etc. My point is this. We are being missled by both sides. People are voting for what they view as the lessor of two evils. Not a best case scenario.

1. profile image52
                paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Should one interpret it as success of the democracy or its failure?

1. profile image56

It means there is a problem. That candidates run on issues that divide us into two neat groups for voting reliability. Once elected their politics make for good theater while they serve the interest of lobbyist.

I'm not falling for a simple minded "this or that" game.

2. lovemychris profile image77

I don't feel missled by Obama. He is fighting an iron wall of money...long-held generational money. Robber baron money. Big business/corporate money.
                And the right-wing religious Fundies who think they own America.

We would never have Lily Ledbetter, Black farmers settlement, Native American settlement, repeal of DADT, Elizabeth Warren, extended Unemployment, or 9/11 victims aid with the Republicans.

Not to mention, the knowledge we got about the Federal reserve and their dirty dealings. These things would never have happened under a Republican.
                Nor do Republicans mention the middle class and working poor. It's all about the upper classes with them.

World of difference.

1. profile image56

It was a Democrat that created DADT. It wasn't the boogy man the Left is making it out to be. It was a stroke of genius. It allowed time for the "winning of hearts and minds" while allowing homosexuals to serve. I believe the repeal was shamelessly timed and only meant to serve as a distraction to an angry left who is waiting for all their campaign promises to come to fruition. 9/11 victims recieved MILLIONS under Bush.

The Department of Ag settlements? That's what your touting? Look this guy claimed he was going to end the wars! He has not. He said he would close GTMO...still open. All the D's were railing against the Patriot Act. It still stands. All the things he ran on, he's now running from. There is no hope for change. At least not with this guy.

1. lovemychris profile image77

"9/11 victims recieved MILLIONS under Bush.'

That was blood money, so they wouldn't go after the airlines.
                    They had to agree to leave the airlines alone when taking that million dollars per family. That is why one woman didn't take it. She called it blood money, not me.

DADT was the bill ALLOWING gays to serve, if you remember. Before that, it was against the law.

The wars, I'm with you...Obama said he would end them, not increase them. I don't know why or what or who we are there for.

But Obama voted for that Patriot Act just like all but 2 members did...he gave Bush that power, now you want him to give it back?
                    That's WHY people were railing against it in the first place! Once it's there, it's not leaving.

And finally, Gibbs said that closing Gitmo would entail the Republicans in Congress working with the Obama administration.
                    Call me stupid, but I don't see the Republicans willing to work with Obama any time soon.

I see it as very funny that some would have Obama just do things without the procedures we have set up in this country.
                    Wouldn't that make him a dictator?
                    Unitary Executive was Cheney's idea, not Bidens'.

2. BillyDRitchie profile image60

Perhaps if someone could come up with a lie that George W. Bush told that cost soldiers lives, I'd be willing to talk about it....

Has been discussed ad nauseum.  Your denial does not negate the truth.

You're backin a loser.

Yeah, I didn't think you could either.  Thanks for playing along....

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
                Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bush lied to get us into Iraq - he might not have said it specifically, but it was definitely implied.

Then he attempted to murder the wife of a political dissenter by outing the fact that Plame was a spy.

The man was a sleaze bag.

Here is a list of lies that were presented to us.

http://www.alternet.org/story/16274

Faulty intel is not  a lie....it's only a lie if you know it is false when you say it.....nice try.

As for the second, it has a nice black helicopter ring to it, but very little in the way of substance.

Guess I was hoping somebody might being something new to the table....silly me....

1. Misha profile image63
                    Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the giggles big_smile

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

They lied, people died.

But the worst part is that we BOUGHT IT and then we RE ELECTED HIM.

If a private entity made the same mistake, it would have been bankrupted immediately.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61

This is what I referred to earlier.  The truth is presented to you; you do as FoxNews commands and deny it.

Birds of a feather....

16. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 13 years ago

Everybody loves to hate George?

cuz he was evil incarnate

17. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Approve of it or not, the war probably made Bush's book of more interest.  911 was probably something else that added to interest.  Clinton's presidency ended in a "blaze of foolishness" that involved unprofessional behavior, a stained dress, and the whole lying-to-Congress thing.  (A lot of people don't have much interest in what someone so "all about"  foolishness has to say.)  When all is said and done (and whether they like the person or not), maybe it's still true more people care about the bigger issues than the foolish ones.

18. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

he was funny...i would like to read his book too...m sure he would make me laugh...secondly bush gave hope to world that it doesnot require anything special than self belief (no matter how wrong it might be) to become president...he is surely motivation for all ....

19. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Yes a lot of people probably think it will be funny, funny to hear the excuses he comes up with to justify things he did.

20. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

Memo to PrettyPanther....is this the same George Tenet that told President Bush that the evidence that Iraq had WMDs amounted to a "slam dunk case."

So which is it?

Bush lied.

Saddam welcomed the inspectors

The UN inspectors found nothing.

They pointed out that the info that the US gave them was nonsense.

They called it garbage.

Bush Lied.

Our government lied.

Saddam welcomed inspectors only after holding them off and delaying them countless times.

So the inspectors found nothing.  Big deal.  If you re read the UN resolutions, the burden of proof was on Saddam to demonstrate that he had disarmed, providing documentation of the destruction of his WMD arsenal.  He refused.

21. Kushal101 profile image58
    Kushal101posted 13 years ago

Though Bush was funny, he was not dumb as people think. As an Indian we can say that his decision to attack afghanistan was one of the best decision ever. Certainly people would be willing to buy his book.

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

he was left with no choice..he had to attack afghanistan...any person in his post might have done that....but attacking Iraq was mistake...secondly bush made mess out of economy...mess which might take years to bring to normal and by that time china would have become too powerful and would call the shots...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)