jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Charitable giving. All talk, no walk!

1. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 5 years ago

I just finished reading Peter Schveizer's book 'Makers and Takers' in which he analyzes the giving of public figures, namely politicians.  The largest donar without fanfare (based on income tax filings) Rush Limbaugh.  The stingiest donar with the most fanfare, John Kerry followed closely by Al Gore.  The most notable donar in the nation was Vice President Dick Cheney.  Cheney gave 77% of his income while Vice President to charity....and shot a lawyer in the face.  now that's giving!

2. EmpressFelicity profile image84
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

I don't think that how much a person gives to charity is any measure of the kind of human being they actually are.

From my own personal experience, I can think of two people who were extremely generous charitable donors, and yet were also ruthless con artists.  Go figure, as they say in your country.

3. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 5 years ago

How true.  Charitable giving often soothes a guilty conscience.  I hope all realize I meant this 'book review' to be humorous.  I was making no political statement.  (other than throwing Al Gore's name in there).

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Joe Biden was pretty low on the totem pole, too, while Obama and McCain were generous.

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Funny how that works out between Dems and Reps ain't it?