jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Can the GOP Screw It Up? You Betcha....

1. BillyDRitchie profile image61
    BillyDRitchieposted 6 years ago

In fact, they tripped over the starting line, with two GOP House members voting even though they had not been officially sworn in yet.

Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX) and Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (R-PA) were at some kind of gathering in the Capitol Visitor's Center with supporters when the swearing-in started. 

A minor gaffe to be sure, and one that was easily corrected, but it is stupid mistakes like this that the media will take and run with for weeks to come.

Yes, it is going to be an interesting two years....

2. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Oops. Although that's relatively minor compared to the power struggle shaping up between mainline GOP and that pesky Tea Party.
    As you say, BDR. It will be a very interesting 2 years.
    I think the GOP is in a no-win situation. If they don't cooperate with Dems to get real work done, they retain their "Party of NO" label. But on the other side you have the upstart TP crowd who are the NEW Party of NO and much more engergized than the old white guys in the GOP.
    I will stop short of saying I feel sorry for the GOP.
    But they are in a pickle, that's for sure!

1. Stump Parrish profile image62
      Stump Parrishposted 6 years ago in reply to this

MM, you are overlooking Palin's ability to refudiate the problems they face.

Perhaps these two new house members blew off the swearing in oath to attend their first fund raiser. You know how constitutional law means so little over there to begin with.

More than likely they were meeting with the corporate lobbyists that bought their victory with coporate money. They had to report to their bosses to get their voting instructions and were told that the need to obey the constitution no longer applied to them .They were told to start doing the job they were hired to do for the company that bought their office for them.   
      Just another symptom of what ails this country. There is no respect for those who work on American's behalf. Elected office is carte blanche for criminal behavior for personal profit. Power is currency and is profitable.

3. Mighty Mom profile image90

Stump,
    Did you catch the SOTU?
    If so, did you notice the CEOs of Xerox and another major corporation (sorry, my mind is a sieve) were in the audience?
    Hmmmm.

1. Stump Parrish profile image62
      Stump Parrishposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No, I didnt and I'm p o ed about it. I dozed off and slept thru it. What you mentioned makes sense, they bought the seats that the new guys filled. They plan on keeping an eye on their investment. Seriously tho, that most of america will have no problem of this because they dont understand it's implications, is a sad state of affairs. How blatant does it have to be that corporate America is now running our contry for their profit and bonuses?

4. Mighty Mom profile image90

Frightening, but true.

working