jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

what is definition of being liberal?

1. pisean282311 profile image60
    pisean282311posted 5 years ago

how do you define being liberal?...is questioning tradition being liberal?...is understanding other view point and respecting that being liberal?..what is being liberal according to you?

2. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

I'll quote two paragraphs from the hub I wrote on that exact subject:

This isn't 1850. I believe we need more Federal '"interference" in order to make a better world for everyone. The interference is not in who you marry, what church you attend or anything else to do with your personal life, but rather to prevent you from interferfering with other people in those regards.

Interference with business is not to destroy capitalism, but rather to prevent dangerous products, unsafe working conditions and monopolistic control that could prevent you from succeeding in your own business. Liberals tend not to believe that free market competition will cure all ills. Most conservatives would agree, but would put more weight to the value of competition.

3. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

From the dictonary
    liberal |ˈlib(ə)rəl|
    1 open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values : they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people.
    • favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms : liberal citizenship laws.
    • (in a political context) favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform : a liberal democratic state.
    • ( Liberal) of or characteristic of Liberals or a Liberal Party.
    • ( Liberal) (in the UK) of or relating to the Liberal Democrat Party : the Liberal leader.
    • Theology regarding many traditional beliefs as dispensable, invalidated by modern thought, or liable to change.
    2 [ attrib. ] (of education) concerned mainly with broadening a person's general knowledge and experience, rather than with technical or professional training.
    3 (esp. of an interpretation of a law) broadly construed or understood; not strictly literal or exact : they could have given the 1968 Act a more liberal interpretation.
    4 given, used, or occurring in generous amounts : liberal amounts of wine had been consumed.
    • (of a person) giving generously : Sam was too liberal with the wine.
    a person of liberal views.
    • ( Liberal) a supporter or member of a Liberal Party.
    Thesaurus -
    1 the values of a liberal society tolerant, unprejudiced, unbigoted, broad-minded, open-minded, enlightened; permissive, free, free and easy, easygoing, libertarian, indulgent, lenient. antonym narrow-minded, bigoted.
    2 a liberal social agenda progressive, advanced, modern, forward-looking, forward-thinking, progressivist, enlightened, reformist, radical. antonym reactionary, conservative.
    3 a liberal education wide-ranging, broad-based, general.
    4 a liberal interpretation of divorce laws flexible, broad, loose, rough, free, general, nonliteral, nonspecific, imprecise, vague, indefinite. antonym strict, to the letter.
    5 a liberal coating of paint abundant, copious, ample, plentiful, generous, lavish, luxuriant, profuse, considerable, prolific, rich; literary plenteous. antonym scant.
    6 they were liberal with their cash generous, openhanded, unsparing, unstinting, ungrudging, lavish, free, munificent, bountiful, beneficent, benevolent, bighearted, philanthropic, charitable, altruistic, unselfish; literary bounteous. antonym careful, miserly.

Funny how it gets used as an insult hmm
    Why is that, is my question?

4. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I don't see "liberal" or "conservative" as having negative connotation. I just see them as two different viewpoints. Negative to me is "far" left or "far" right, or adding the words "uber" or "radical" or "extreme."

5. mike71090 profile image60
    mike71090posted 5 years ago

if you are liberal, you must be broadminded.

6. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 5 years ago

After honest reflection, if any of the following discribes you, you're a liberal.

If the exspression 'honest reflection' threw you off, read no further.  You're a liberal.

1. digitalthinker profile image59
      digitalthinkerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's nothing but a label. Be yourself.

1. pisean282311 profile image60
        pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this

7. BobbiRant profile image80
    BobbiRantposted 5 years ago

To me it means knowing, and acting accordingly, that I'm not the only person living on earth.  It also means trying to make the world a better place, having empathy and understanding there are many factors that create poverty, so I do not resent poor people nor do I think they are lazy.