jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Will Poll affect House Vote on Repeal of HCR?

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago

"WASHINGTON -- As lawmakers shaken by the shooting of a colleague return to the health care debate, an Associated Press-GfK poll finds raw feelings over President Barack Obama's overhaul have subsided.

Ahead of a vote on repeal in the GOP-led House this week, strong opposition to the law stands at 30 percent, close to the lowest level registered in AP-GfK surveys dating to September 2009.

The nation is divided over the law, but the strength and intensity of the opposition appear diminished. The law expands coverage to more than 30 million uninsured, and would require, for the first time, that most people in the United States carry health insurance.

The poll finds that 40 percent of those surveyed said they support the law, while 41 percent oppose it. Just after the November congressional elections, opposition stood at 47 percent and support was 38 percent.

As for repeal, only about one in four say they want to do away with the law completely. Among Republicans support for repeal has dropped sharply, from 61 percent after the elections to 49 percent now."

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/16/raw-f … -suggests/

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 5 years ago

The Republicans are wasting their time here. Instead of trying to repeal the law, they should have tried to simplify it. I think many voters would support that.

Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A lot of what the US House of Representatives is planning over the next two years is a dog and pony show for the Tea Party. The professional conservatives in thrall to big business hope to harness the energy of the Tea Party to propel them to power.The problem is the Tea Party has contempt for establishment (bought and paid for) politicians of ANY political party.

Expect the nutty ideas and candidates of the Tea Party to take center stage in 2012. Expect the voters to thoroughly reject them. Expect all hell to break loose in 2013 as the Tea Party is not asking for control they are demanding it. The popular will is on no concern - it won't be in the vote next week - and it won't be when the Tea Party gets an ass whippin' in 2012.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think the Tea Party is really hurting the GOP. I guess moderate Republicans will have to start a new party. I might have to vote Democrat in the next election! It won't be the first time.

Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The poll suggests a huge shift in attitude. Maybe, it's an indirect reaction to the Tuscon tragedy. The Congresswoman was a moderate who voted for Health Care Reform.  Conservatives are right that there is no DIRECT link between the Tea Party and the shooter. The moderate voter seems to be returning to moderation as an attitude as a reaction to the shooting.

This is the most devastating thing that could happen. The Tea Party relies on voter anger, which they manipulate. If the voter starts to think rationally, rather than react emotionally, the results of the next election will be .. a lot different.

3. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

As the economy continues to recover I suspect the extreme anger of the 2010 midterm elections will subside and reason will return.
    Not to everyone, of course. But enough.
    I agree with you, Doug. Moderates are returning to moderation.
    Habee -- why should moderate Republicans have to start their own party? They already have a party. They should formally dissociate with the TPers, tho. Kick them out and make them stand on their own. They won't. They'll fall. Quickly.

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Indeed. Kick out them and the religious right and there are Republicans I might even vote for.