jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

New Poll Numbers: Obama Job Approval Up to 53%

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

New WSJ/NBC poll is positive news (for some of us).
    Seems those like Ms. Habee who have been calling for the voice of moderation, a meeting the middle, are seeing Obama as seeking to bring far left and far right to the table to NEGOTIATE.

Some excerpts:

In the survey, 53% said they approved of the job Mr. Obama is doing as president, up eight percentage points from December. Forty-one percent said they disapprove of the president's performance, down from 48% last month. The poll surveyed 1,000 adults from Jan. 13-17.

Among political independents, positive views of Mr. Obama's job performance surpassed negative views for the first time since August 2009. For the first time in a year, the president drew a positive reaction from white adults, when asked about their feelings toward Mr. Obama.

The poll found that Republicans, whose hand in Congress was strengthened by the November elections, face low voter expectations, with a quarter of respondents saying the new House majority will bring the right kind of change to the country. In January, 2007, 42% of voters said the same of Democrats, as they assumed control of Congress.

Among those polled, 55% predicted Republican lawmakers would be too inflexible in dealing with the president. At the same time, 55% said Mr. Obama will strike the right balance between flexibility and standing his ground.

POSITIVE        NEGATIVE       D/S
    Barack Obama            52               32           20
    Natl Rifle Assn NRA     41               29           12
    John Boehner            23               15            8
    The Democratic Party    39               35            4
    The Republican Party    34               40            6
    The Tea Party Movement  29               38            9
    Nancy Pelosi            26               40           14
    Sarah Palin             27               49           22

1. DTR0005 profile image86
      DTR0005posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Mr. Obama might just pull it off in 2012. The negative has a way of coming full circle and biting its purveyors in the butt.

2. 60
      C.J. Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this
    3. DTR0005 profile image86
      DTR0005posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think if unemployment numbers consistantly get better, his approval/ popularity rating will increase accordingly. I like the guy - basically. And I have to believe that he sits at the dinner table with his family and says to himself, "what the hell did I get myself into?"

2. Evan G Rogers profile image84
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

he ain't got my vote.

Ron Paul 2012

1. 59
      dcollins522posted 5 years ago in reply to this

3. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

The new "trend" seems to be centrist. Those on both sides who are willing to reach across the aisle and work TOGETHER (what a concept) are what the country now says it wants/supports.
    What a fickle country we have. But bipartisan works for me!

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Works for me, too! I told hubby that Obama's approval numbers would go up after his speech and the way he's handled himself lately. He looks more like a leader now than I've ever seen him and has kept his head in a tough situation.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There's a predicament.  If President Obama stays focused on solving problems, his numbers will  go up. As the republicans stay focused on opposing all things Obama, their numbers will go down.

4. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 5 years ago

At the Memorial Service/Pep Rally following the Tuscon shooting, Obama actually looked and came off like a President for the first time.  This is good.

While the rhetoric of bipartisanship sounds good, the fact is that Mr. Obama was decidedly uninterested in such cooperation for the first two years, as evidenced by such unifying comments as "We don’t mind the Republicans joining us. They can come for the ride, but they gotta sit in back.”  Obama is only opening the floor to both sides now because he has no choice.  It's either hold his nose and work with those wascally Wepublicans for face two years as a lame duck.

If Obama can take a cue fro Clinton's playbook and move successfully to the center, he's got more than a good shot at re-election in 2012.  My own guess though, is that he is so much of an ideologue, that he won't be able to do it for very long.  No matter how hard you try, the real you will always come out.