You always hurt the ones you love!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (39 posts)
  1. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

My favorite quote from Obama's State of the Union speech:  "We are the nation that put cars in driveways and computers in offices; the nation of Edison and the Wright brothers; of Google and Facebook."

True statement to be sure but let's now slow our racing pulses and take just a peak at the facts.  Yeah, I know that's usually a stupid thing to do where Obama's concerned but humor me.

1.  The Obama administration has effectively outlawed Mr. Edison's greatest invention, the light bulb and substituted some little curly thing in the name of fighting global warming.  (Mercury is our friend!)

2.  Using the TSA the Obama administration has made air travel one of the most combersome, aggravating and yes, embarassing experiences one might have.

3.  The Obama administration has filed anti-trust lawsuits against Microsoft (Google).

4.  The Obama administration has banned off shore drilling (for you liberals and green party members - that's where we drill in the ocean floor for oil) making it almost too expensive to drive that car parked in your driveway.

5.  The Obama administration is currently doing its best to regulate and control the internet thereby controlling all those computers in offices and homes after all, we can't have people saying anything they want whenever they want can we?

So, I guess my question is:  was Obama bragging when he said "We are the nation that put cars in driveways and computers in offices; the nation of Edison and the Wright brothers; of Google and Facebook." or was he pointing out where we went wrong?

1. saintodd profile image66
      saintoddposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yea he was bragging a little. That's alright. Because there is a lot to brag about in this nation. He however was also addressing where we could grow. Every healthy entity grows. (Nice forum post)

2. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

1.  The Obama administration has effectively outlawed Mr. Edison's greatest invention, the light bulb and substituted some little curly thing in the name of fighting global warming (Mercury is our friend!)

You have a problem conserving electricity that is generated with the burning of fossil fuels, correct? The only problem with this decision to force the public to ignore the lies of big oil and big power, is that most americans are too lazy to throw the flouresent bulbs in the recycle bin. The only way the mercury becomes a problem is if Americans act like Americans and state...the hell with future generations of my children, I have the rght to be a selfish prick if I want to.

2.  Using the TSA the Obama administration has made air travel one of the most combersome, aggravating and yes, embarassing experiences one might have.

No sir. Homeland security made air travel inconvienent. Homeland security was implemented under baby Bush to respond to the increased level of aggression that was a direct result of Daddy Bush's work in the CIA. Most countries we have been fighting in the last 2 decades were put in power by the Big Poppa Bush. Inconvienced air travelers are of no importance to the security of America. They have no right to fly. Don't like the restrictions your party has forced upon you, take a train, take a bus, or drive.

3.  The Obama administration has filed anti-trust lawsuits against Microsoft (Google).

The Bush admin removed restrictions and regulations that would have prevented the financial collapse of this country for kick backs and personal gain. The Bush admin placed a ceo of a toy manufacturing company incharge of overseeing safety compliance and American Children continue to die from hazardous materials in their toys.

4.  The Obama administration has banned off shore drilling (for you liberals and green party members - that's where we drill in the ocean floor for oil) making it almost too expensive to drive that car parked in your driveway.

Once gas hits $5.00 a gallon you might finally consider getting rid of the Hummer your buddy baby Bush gave you the tax credit to buy in the first place. You consider this a bad thing. In 1999 an American auto maker, GM, produced an electric car that changed the world. Big oil said no friggin way and you and your party agreed. Maintaining our dependence on foreign oil was reinforced as an being an American tradition and we were soon in a war with iraq to feed this lie. The military had a need to supply hummers for the war and figured why nt ask baby Bush to give americans a tax break to buy one for the republican soccer moms who need a safe vehicle to drive while applying make up, texting and searching the Sarah palin data base of witty comebacks.

5. The Obama administration is currently doing its best to regulate and control the internet,   How do you feel about the intrusion of the Patriot Act that made this legal. Bush was obviously right for implementing this program and yet you feel Obama is wrong for using it.

Obama was remembering the America we once were before the destruction brought on by the infreqent control the Repubs have had over washington since the fifties. Major accomplishments since then, In god we trust was added to our currency, Our currency became worth less than the paper it was printed on. We sent most of our jobs to Mexico for cheap labor but refused to decriminalize marijuana and this forced most mexicans to flee the great jobs we shipped down there and come here to pick fruit.

So I guess my answer is...We are still a nation that puts cars in the driveway. The fact that they average 10 miles per gallon doesn't matter. We are still a country that puts computers in every office. The fact that they are all built by foreign companies doen't matter.

He ws definately pointing out where we went wrong and I believe he was pointing at you and those who think like you.

1. Stump Parrish profile image60
        Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LMAO, it was kind of fun to answer each point before moving on. I got to offer my opinion and then see it repeated in one form or another. I must be a certifiable genius. Or maybe just a pothead, who knows?

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm w/ you, sorry I got carried away and didn't read your post to start w/.

2. Flightkeeper profile image69
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

You're so right Tobey, we WERE the nation that did all those things.  But not so much under the Big Zero.

3. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

"Have you heard? Incandescent light bulbs will be phased out, beginning in 2012. This was part of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, signed into law by former President Bush.

http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-buil … nservation

I haven't started to factcheck the other crap in your post.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
      uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As bitter as the following tastes, it must be said, Doug is right - the incandescent bulb was "outlawed" by Congress and GWB.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank You. I have great respect for conservatives who can recognize and admit facts.  That leaves plenty of room to disagree about the significance of those facts - but that's an honest disagreement.  Ted Kennedy was able to negotiate 'across the aisle' because he found plenty of republicans who maintained that devotion to truth.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

blind leading the blind

4. Doug Hughes profile image60

"We were created in the wake of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, to strengthen the security of the nation's transportation systems. The Aviation and Transportation Security Act, passed by the 107th Congress on November 19, 2001..."

From the TSA web site.

November 2001  - who was president again? Or perhaps you can point to specific changes TSA made since Obama became president that were NOT part of security decisions made in the PRIOR admin.

OK So number 2 is as flawed as number 1.

Dateline November 1999

""Microsoft has demonstrated that it will use its prodigious market power and immense profits to harm any firm that insists on pursuing initiatives that could intensify competition against one of Microsoft's core products," wrote Judge Penfield.

Penfield's findings of fact, no matter how damaging, are not the final act in this monumental case in which the Justice Department accuses Microsoft of violating Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act. "

I like the success story that Microsoft is. However they have been guilty as a matter of  fact of anti-competitive practices in the US and Europe on multiple occasions. New filings by the Justice Department - NOT the administration - don't invalidate citing MS as the success story of our generation, and that success does not exonerate them from violations..

Under President Obama, the Justice Department operates on its own, not as a hit squad that files phony charges against the opposition as was done under Bush.

5. Doug Hughes profile image60

October 2010

"The Obama administration on Tuesday lifted the deep water oil drilling moratorium that the government imposed in the Gulf of Mexico in the wake of the disastrous BP oil spill. "

I guess you didn't get the memo.

Number 4 is false... also

6. Doug Hughes profile image60

There is NO move at all by the administration to control content. The wingnuts are trying to spin things that way but an examination of facts always shows the same attempt to distort.. that this entire post reflects.

All six items Toby brought up are either false - or deceptively misleading. Why are we not surprised?!!

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because that's what the Right does. Constant lies.

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Tobey,
    I understand your points and I also understand, as saintodd pointed out, what Obama was getting at.

True statement to be sure but let's now slow our racing pulses and take just a peak at the facts.  Yeah, I know that's usually a stupid thing to do where Obama's concerned but humor me.

1.  The Obama administration has effectively outlawed Mr. Edison's greatest invention, the light bulb and substituted some little curly thing in the name of fighting global warming.  (Mercury is our friend!)
    Yes, and the CD made Edison's phonograph obsolete.
    Progress happens.

Air travel has been getting more cumbersome and uncomfortable for years. The new TSA procedures suck, don't get me wrong. But I think we have bin Laden and his cohorts to thank, not Obama.

A lot of people have filed suits against Microsoft. I wish he had included Apple in his technology examples, but oh well.

Whether we buy our oil at inflated rates from OPEC or get it from our own oceans, our thirst for oil is insatiable. There is not an infinite supply of oil out there. Maybe we shouldn't be driving V-8 cars? Maybe we should have better mass transit? Maybe driving more fuel efficient vehicles is a good thing?[/b}

5.  The Obama administration is currently doing its best to regulate and control the internet thereby controlling all those computers in offices and homes after all, we can't have people saying anything they want whenever they want can we?
    [b] This is patently untrue. Are you referring to net neutrality?

So, I guess my question is:  was Obama bragging when he said "We are the nation that put cars in driveways and computers in offices; the nation of Edison and the Wright brothers; of Google and Facebook." or was he pointing out where we went wrong?
    the former, certainly. America, the land of innovation!

8. Flightkeeper profile image69
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Hey Tobey, make up another list so that Doug can do some more research and enlighten us all.

lol

Thanks FK but MM seems to have come to the same conclusions as I did.

Debunking wingnut myths and fairy tales is a full-time job, and I do have other interests, like cute blondes. (That was a reference to my 7-YO daughter.)

1. Flightkeeper profile image69
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It sure looked like you had nothing better to do. lol

1. Christy Goff profile image61
          Christy Goffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Air travel is more cumbersome, and I am greatful.  My husband flies all over the world, and thinking that the person setting next to him doesn't have a bomb is helpful.  Oh, I am so with MM if you don't like the oil prices, drive a more efficient car.  Can you guess at how many jobs would be lost if there was no oil field?? Then the unemployment rates could go up even more, and of course that would be Obama's fault as well.

Toby did not even pretend to present a link between gas prices and the freeze on new drilling (deepwater only) in the Gulf. A little research would show that the amount of oil involved is a drop in the bucket and the freeze on drilling unrelated to the most recent spike in prices.

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image60
              Vladimir Uhriposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Increase prices are related to taxes for all who drive. Hey, no taxes for low and middle class???
              Price of electricity will be sky rocketing! Is it not significant when president say so?  I do not like kind of prophecy.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
            prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And when I travel with a baby in airplane, I want my baby to be safe. I would rather be inspected than be sorry. Pat down is just ordinary when you compare to what I experienced riding planes in diff. parts of the world.

The worst things that many people do with their bodies re: their health  smoking and eating like the world will never end or tomorrow never dies. We need security and while we develop technology we should sacrifice a bit.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

but when all our freedom is gone, then what?

2. Christy Goff profile image61

Exactly, or how about this, sorry your daddys dead, but people didn't want to be patted down, so someone got on the airplane with a bomb, but it's okay because daddy had insurance, so we will let the money tuck you into bed.  It really makes me angry that a little discomfort is worth more than someones life.

not my point at all smile

1. Christy Goff profile image61

Sorry I was actually replying to Pretty.  I know its harsh, and not everyone believes the way I do, but I have a true fear of losing my husband over someone having a bomb.  I don't want to lose our freedom, but I don't want to lose my husband either.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63

Same with my baby, I always travel with her, she is only three years old. We can sacrifice a little bit until they can sort it out well and the people manning the airports will be well trained.

2. Doug Hughes profile image60

You want the freedom to die in a terrorist attack along with the majority who is willing to exchange some personal inconvenience for security. Going back to your comment about lost rights.. No one is intruding on your privacy at home -  wiretapping your phone without a warrant or opening your mail. Liberals want to protect those rights - it's conservatives who compromised them in the Bush years.

If any airline wants to be the airline of less security for the comfort of passengers, I'm willing to go along with that - as long as ALL  travelers understand the risk associated with no pat-downs on Suicide Airlines. But don't try to drag down the standard across the board. If you think there is a market for bashful travelers who are willing to play Russian Roulette with suicide bombers, go ahead, find an airline who wants to play.

you didn't see the website.

I can't help you there.

3. Vladimir Uhri profile image60
              Vladimir Uhriposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Control and control for reason of security!  Soviets did the same from fear Americans are going to attack.  To secure nation there are many alternatives.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63

I don't call that control, it is precaution. There are terrorism related arrests in 2009 and 2010, domestic and international. Five days before I was about to fly from Narita to Detroit in 2007, there was an arrest made - suspected terrorist attack of a flight from Narita to US.

I think there is nothing wrong in being cautious. Lives are precious and terrorism is alive, see in London in 2005, India, Pakistan and this week in Russia.

9. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Well, that was fun wasn't it?

You mean posting a series of lies and deceptions to be picked apart with facts and evidence.. Sure. Let's do it again.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

hey tobey 100

sorry your post wasn't  appreciated. smile

10. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I agree, it was a waste of time lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)