How did I become a minority citizen in my own country?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Dave Mathews profile image59
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

I am a Male, Canadian born, English speaking, Anglo-saxon, Caucasian, Christian, Senior citizen,who today in a multi-cultural metropolitian society has become a visible minority in my own country. How is it possible that I am a visible minority in my homeland?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kuya Dave because of international intermarriages, and  international migration. Canada is a receiving country, the laws are easier for migrants to enter the country.

Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ate Maita: I am aware of this but it does not lessen the fact that I have become minority citizen in my own country. I am starting to feel like a second-class citizen instead of being a naturally born citizen.

1. Cagsil profile image72
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well Dave, it seems as though, political fear and religious fear which drives society, continues to show itself in many ways. hmm

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63

I am sure the Filipino community there makes you special as they look up to you for spiritual guidance. Maybe the government?? do you want a change for some laws and rules. The thing is once you are naturally born or your citizenship was acquired through immigration, laws and privileges apply to all.

Ate Maita, all who know me, all who know the real me, love me and respect me and look up to me but possible employer, ask the question on their application forms; "Do you consider yourself a 'Visible Minority'?" Because I am a senior citizen, because I am over qualified, because in Toronto, there are fewer and fewer Canadian Caucasian Citizens, seeking work, I consider myself as a "Visible Minority" and people who have substantially less training and qualifications are getting hired over me. This really upsets me.

I understand now what you mean. Those are businessmen for you, they will always find a way to lower wages and those who are willing to accept lower wages will be hired.

Ate Maita I have yet to reach the point in a job interview where I am asked what wage I would be willing to work for. That sort of question is usually asked just before hiring as a part of negotiating.

Kuya Dave, the reality is that there will always be discrimination by age, sex, race, social status - education, standing in the community, profession and income.

Sad but true.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The same way the Native Americans became a minority in their own country. I do sympathize with your difficulty in finding a job. Many employers do discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, religion and other irrelevant factors. And in the U.S., at any rate, employment discrimination can be hard to prove.

Ralph what ticks me off to no end is that Human Resources asks the question on Application Forms, "Do you see yourself as a 'Visible Minority' if so Why? For someone like myself I see that as reverse descrimination.

3. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So in other words, you don't want the change that the world around you has brought. Perhaps you want time to stand still, and everything revert back to the way it was, where you thought you were safe.

That's a dream that a lot of people have, and it obviously has nothing to do with reality. What is real is what is now. Now is the only place you can make changes for the better. If you don't like your reality, then you may want to consider changing it. Part of change is the way we look at things and our attitude about it.

4. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are experiencing what the native Canadian experienced.

5. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, but I enjoy your band, sir.

6. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand.

74% of the population is white.
      76% self-identify as Christian.
      80% speak English.

In what respect are you a minority (apart from being male, a senior citizen, and born in Canada)?

Besides, we're all in a minority of 1 because each of us really is unique.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don W, thank you.   All this Caucasians will be/is a minority is just pure speculation.   Caucasians are the majority in Canada and the United States.
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9127505_f248.jpg

Speculators are fond of conjectures, indicating that by 2030, Caucasians will be a minority with non-Caucasians-Latinos, Blacks, and Asians being the majority.  However, such will not be the case.  Although the birth rate of non-Caucasians, especially Latinos, is higher than Caucasians, it will eventually decrease as non-Caucasians, especially Latinos and Blacks, become more socioeconomically affluent and educated.  Blacks used to be the largest minority; however, with increased education and more job opportunities, many have advanced to the middle and upper middle classes and with more education and affluence, the birth rate among Blacks decreased.   The same will be with Latinos.   By the sheer numbers of Caucasians in both Canada and the United States, there is NO chance that they will become minorities in these respective countries.

2. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This thread is 3 years old, I don't think he's going to respond... plus he's probably on tour.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
          gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, the OP has been BANNED from HubPages entirely.  Just click under OP's username.

2. profile image57
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

Decrease in majority birth rate combined with an increase in minority birth rate? Bad immigration policy? Lots of reasons are possible.

3. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 13 years ago

As important a question, Dave, is does it matter?  I'm not sure why you're asking, but it seems like the answer clearly could be a multitude of reasons.  I'd say embrace change.  It would be dull if things stayed the same.

1. kephrira profile image60
      kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bet you're writing that comment from a place where this hasn't happened. The trouble with it isn't about race, it is about culture - when  you don't feel like you belong in a place because it is dominated by a foreign culture. Everyone should be able to have a place that is home, including every culture.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
        I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But culture is always changing. If someone from 1950's America were to hop in a time machine and travel to 2010 America they would feel very out of place. Foreign culture is just one of many things that causes cultural change. I would say technology has just as much of an influence. You CAN have a place that is home, in your own home. You can't stop a culture from changing in a free society.

2. shogan profile image76
        shoganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't think I am.  I don't feel at all like I belong to a particular culture, aside from American.  I wouldn't know a "foreign culture" if it sat down in front of me at this point.

3. Janice Marquis profile image59
        Janice Marquisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I feel the exact same as him. I am a white female whose family came to canada in 1634 from one side. I am not a seniour but I am in my 40s now. I am from eastern canada where we have always been treated as second class citizens compared to the other provinces such as Ontario and Quebec,although we are the oldest province in Canada. I moved to ottawa and I cannot find work for almost 3  years now,but the global recession hit here in 2008.That coupled with 400,000 TFWs a year taking jobs away from locals, coupled with massive immigration,automation, companies moving to asia, companies moved to the U.S due to massive hydro bills in ontario due to liberal mismanagement- we lost 325,000 manufacturing union jobs in the past10 years.

Ottawa is slowly becoming like toronto. Hardly anyone speaks english,they are stuck in their cultures and foreign dresses. You have some men treat women awful due to their backward arab cultures. French people here have priviledge in hiring. You are correct that if you are white and do not speak french you are treated as a second class citizen especially in govt offices and if you are single and do not hold a job for life. I am battlling this right now in my life,being harassed by govt workers. I cannot even find stable housing or work and no one will help me but some immigrants come and land here and have a free house lined up and a big cheque is cut for them. We also have alot of gangs here now that are foreign, we did not have gangs here 20 years ago.

1. Janice Marquis profile image59

and its sad to see your north american culture dying every day. These people call themselves canadian only for all the social services they get for free including free medical.They have no intention of'changing" although previous waves of immigrants were forced to change and we not allowed to keep their languages and cultures (for example the scots and Irish).

2. Dave Mathews profile image59

My reason is I'm unemployed, The Question is asked on Job Applications about being a visible minority,I'm 63,I'm Canadian Born, I'm over qualified, and the people getting the jobs are immigrants with no training or Canadian experience. That to me is reverse discrimination.

Hey Dave, the dumbest thing I've ever heard of is being "over" qualified for a job. It's just a company's position to maintain cost effective workers. Or distortion if you want to get to the truth. hmm

Cagsil: I know what you're saying about over qualified and I agree with you but it is the term being used today by management for not hiring someone they need not train in their ways. The jobs I am applying for I have 10 years experience and specialized training in all aspects. Management wants a "YES DONKEY" an employee who will blindly follow orders regardless if it is dangerous or not and who is willing to perform slave labour until they drop.

4. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

How did I become a minority citizen in my own country? What says you have become a minority citizens?

Minority and Majority is subjective to an individual's perspective. Anything can be seen as a minority and anything can be seen as a majority.

So, I guess it boils down to how "minority" and "majority" are being defined at any given time. wink

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, I think I'd disagree with you about Minority & Majority being subjective.

A Majority is anything over 51%.

A Minority is anything less than the Majority.

It's subjective, because it can be applied however one choose to apply it.

Example: Middle class Americans are a majority? The Wealthy are a Minority.

Understand?

1. Rafini profile image82
          Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do, but probably not as you intended.  hmm

The middle class are a majority because there are more people in the middle class than the wealthy or the lower class.  (numbers don't lie - it can't be subjective because the number of people in middle class isn't dependent on a single persons mind)

The Wealthy are a minority, because there are less wealthy people.  (again, numbers don't lie - it can't be subjective.  the number of wealthy people is based on something outside an individual persons mind)

It is the application. hmm Nevermind.

2. Dave Mathews profile image59

Facing the various different nationalities in my country, especially in my city, I am a visible minority today.

5. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

I, myself, am confused.  As an apparent Caucasian person, my family tells me that we have Indian (American - red from New Mexico) and also Moroccan blood.  So what do I put on job applications - of two or more - but it is remote and a small percentage and their application has no other place for a pure mutt.

Yes, I am pure mutt and admit it proudly.  An American mutt filled with tons of diversity.

All of this and my Grandmother was mad I was named Kelly because she stated then the public would know we had Irish roots! 

Yes, Grandmother tried to teach me ethnicity - which names were German but I didn't see the sense in that and Grandfather agreed.

The world is changing - the definitions of minority hopefully will become extinct.

Meanwhile, I remain your faithful "American mutt".

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, Gma!

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I think CJ Wright pointed toward the most obvious answers.
    Dave, you say you are a senior citizen. When you were born whites married whites (for the most part). Over time, interracial marriage has become more common and accepted.
    Other ethnicities procreate at a higher rate than whites.
    I don't know the demographics of where you live, but I would venture to guess that the population is skewing younger as the WWII generation dies off and Baby Boomers are no longer the dominant group.
    I live in California and our population is shifting as well.
    Personally, I like living in a multicultural environment. My Irish immigrant grandparents had their day (and passed on a proud heritage!). Newer immigrant groups are Americans too.
    Vive la difference!

7. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I think the Bureau of Labor Stat has statistics for incomes and they are the ones classifying citizens whether they are middle class etc irregardless of social status. Based on pure income only.

And statistics are never wrong? hmm

Statistics are never manipulated? hmm

That is the only estimates and data we can have as the govt is the one responsible for that data.  If they manipulate data, then they are fooling themselves. Probably they smoothed it out a bit perhaps

And, what about incomes that are not included because people don't report them? lol

You don't have to answer that. lol

8. profile image0
    Muldanianposted 13 years ago

As a native English person living in Birmingham, England I too know what it is like to be in a minority.  Although I am only 38, I have seen huge changes in the poulation in my lifetime.  As a child, English people made up the majority of Birmingham's population, now they are a minority.  This is as a result of decades of immigration to the city, an exodus of English people away from the city and the low birth rate of the English compared to those who have made Birmingham their home.

I see this as a process of worldwide migrations.  In previous centuries, it was white people who made up the greatest number of migrants.  Europeans, who made the Americas their home were the immigrants of their day.  So, strictly speaking, white people are not the natives of Canada, the USA or Australia.  The only place white people are truly native is in Europe.  But, as so many millions have left Europe over the centuries, and as a result of two world wars, family planning and the fact that so many Europeans are now single and are choosing not to have families until later in life, if at all, then new people are needed to replace the declining native Western European population.  In Italy there are whole villages, where only a handful of people live, and homes are empty.  If Western Europe is to survive then it will have to be with new people, who come from Asia, Africa and the Middle East.  Canada may be in the same position.

1. Janice Marquis profile image59

This is all propoganda my dear.We are not having kids because we are pushed into poverty and immigrants are replacing us by taking away our opportunities to live a great life!

9. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

Historically and globally speaking, we Caucasians have always been in the minority. It just so happens that our lame lily-white Western civilization is finally becoming more representative of the world at large.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)