jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

The Crux of the Problem......

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
    Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago

"Washington (CNN) - When it comes to cutting the nation's budget deficit and putting a dent in the country's massive debt, a new poll suggests Americans have a split personality.

Full results (pdf)

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Tuesday indicates that while the public overwhelmingly favors a smaller federal government, they also overwhelming oppose making cuts to the big targets - the federal programs that account for much of the government's spending.

According to the poll, just over seven in ten Americans favor a legislative agenda that would reduce the size of the government, with one in four saying they oppose such a move.

But it seems that most Americans would prefer that the biggest government spending programs are off the table. The survey indicates that more than seven in ten Americans say that deficit reduction is less important than preventing cuts in Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, education programs and veterans' benefits. At least six in ten feel the same way about unemployment benefits and roads and mass transit. "

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 … the-table/

My opinion is that we can HAVE the programs that the majority agree are important, but we are going to have to DEMAND that the rich pay a fair share of taxes to fund them.

1. artlader profile image60
      artladerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"DEMAND that the rich pay a fair share"

Yep. I am with you.

And start cutting at the Pentagon, too.

Thanks for asking.

- Art

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
        Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Congress for decades - both parties - has pretended for decades that we can have everything we want without paying for it. Now that the bill is coming due with a high dficit, some are saying - have the rich pay up - some are saying deny the needs of seniors and the poor - and a lot of politicians are trying to continue the old ways....

1. artlader profile image60
          artladerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are right about both parties being guilty, Doug. Well, I think so, anyway.

But these days, I find myself drawn very strongly to the liberal/progressive types and often horrified by conservative positions.

Not always the most comfortable thing here in South Carolina, but there it is.

I never, ever try to convince anyone to change his or her political inclinations, anyway. I find it almost impossible to have a reasonable conversation about politics. Everyone is so angry. Really, really angry. Frankly, I am not up to it. Sigh...

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Agreed. Spending cuts alone will not zero out the deficit!
    Spending cuts are necessary, but apparently Americans only want to cut programs that don't really account for very much of the budget. Don't cut our sacred cows!

While we are talking about paying our fair share of taxes, how about those corporations raking in profits??? Think we might want to ask for a little more from Exxon, Big Pharma? The automakers who owe their behinds to you-know-who?

No one disputes that indiscrimate spending is BAD.
    But it's a bit late for that. Let's take appropriate action on both ends -- funding and spending reduction.