jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Forgive or carry the burden?

1. thirdmillenium profile image73
    thirdmilleniumposted 5 years ago

Is forgiving a sign of weakness or strength?

1. Pandoras Box profile image83
      Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Strength. When you hold ono it the only person you really hurt is yourself anyway. That's dumb and pointless, and not very fair considering you yourself need grace -forgiveness from others for not being perfect, so you may as well forgive and move on. It's the only sensible thing to do.

Doesn't mean we have to forget, however. wink

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

2. frogdropping profile image86
    frogdroppingposted 5 years ago

I forgive - though how quickly depends on what it is I feel needs forgiving. And I don't button up the back so I'd say it's a strength, not a flaw.

A lack of forgiveness would (I imagine) lead to a sense of something undone, unresolved, something to hold a grudge over. Unhealthy and unrealistic - our past is only alive in our memory.

3. guy1973 profile image60
    guy1973posted 5 years ago

from my own life's experience I will say that forgiveness is the way. living with the burden of unresolved issues, is first of all not good for the health. no matter how tough it is somehow one has to let go

4. 60
    C.J. Wrightposted 5 years ago

Forgivness is key. However there are two types of forgivness. The first is what most think of. It's a restorative type of forgivness. This is where the offender has asked for forgivness. The offender proves they have changed though overt displays of repentance. The offender provides tangible proof of contrition.
    The second type of forgivness is a non restorative forgiveness. It is for the sake of healing on the part of the victim, not the offender. Think "Father forgive them for they know not what they do"