jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

deaf people and disability rights

1. 59
    shaun11posted 5 years ago

just a warning to anyone on disability benefits. With the government pushing for changes in the assessments that are ongoing,note...if you are deaf/hard of hearing, insist on someone being there for you during your assessment.
    ie..a member from the RNID or someone to witness the appointment. Further if you are deaf at all, insist also on written questions so you can give spoken answers.
    If there are any objections, again INSIST on that format or an alternative electronic (of which there are many ) format to be able to participate fairly in your assessment.
    They actually tried to get me to participate without any reasonable adjustment, i insisted on the above and would NOT leave until my request was accepted.
    THIS IS A WARNING...if you do not stand up to these people they will breach your rights, dont let them, i did't.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image84
      CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago in reply to this

well done! the problem is that people just dont believe that you cant hear. I reckon you should just tell them to take their spectacles off and then to act as normal that would scare the ....... out of them

2. 59
    shaun11posted 5 years ago

ah..someone who understands at last.Seriously though i just got to my feet and in front of my frienf exploded and told them that i want the assessment and i not moving until they find a means to provide that.Shock thats how the "doctor" looked.
    But she did it! it was completed and there will be no change to my benefit.
    The point is i just could not hear her questions so i was'nt going anywhere.So as i have said pass this onto all those people,INSIST.
    Cheers for your reply....Shaun.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image84
      CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago in reply to this

yes, 15 points immediately for not hearing and you have passed! ( ex Benefits Agency Appeal writer) I am lucky in that although my hearing loss is bad it responds to very high powered hearing aids which allow me to function. A while back we had a hub challenge to write on deafness and I wrote about my particular disease- otosclorosis. Apparently it has not got worse for three years so I am delighted!

2. 59
      shaun11posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Listen guys,
      Whether you work or dont. If your hearing is not a 100% then you are at a disadvantage.
      Ofcourse that disadvantage can have different degrees,ie quiet situations, noisy places, at meetings where cross talking over prevents good understanding.
      What i really dont understand is WHY people dont understand this.
      There are very simple measures anyone can use to prove what im saying.
      Try this! as a good hearing person in work or not (but id like to see your reaction at an important board meeting) Put a set or even one ear of ear plugs into your ear or ears and dont remove them.
      not just for one day but over at least a week. allow time for your friends or work friends to get totally miffed off with you always having to say WHAT!!
      Or try this if you wear glasses then go to class or that meeting you have to read out your very important piece the boss who has been waiting for this, try to continue because your afraid to tell him in front of everyone that you have forgotten your glasses then see if he or anyone else has the patience to care.
      You will see we are a strange bunch of not very understanding people.

3. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

I am 90% deaf and it never even crossed my mind to try to collect disability. You mean you can actually collect disability by just being deaf?

Or are you saying you have something else that is a disability and that you insisted on written questions?

I've always functioned just like a hearing person for the most part, even though I'm closer to being deaf than being a normal hearing one.

I've never asked for anything different when it comes to anything. Situations I know I will not function well because of my hearing loss I simply avoid. smile

1. leahlefler profile image99
      leahleflerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Deafness counts as a disability for the social security administration, but I believe there has to be proof that it significantly affects your earning potential (in other words, if you have a good job, they may deny your claim). On the SSA main page, if you earn more than $1000 per month, you cannot receive disability payments.

Everyone with a permanent disability (no income limitations) can receive a free National Parks pass for life - deafness counts toward this aim as well. For state parks, the requirements vary. In NY State, the hearing threshold must be greater than 80dB. My little guy has a 60-65dB threshold, so he doesn't qualify for the state parks pass.

4. Pandoras Box profile image83
    Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago

Darn shame WDW doesn't qualify as a state park!

I've got nothing against disabled people collecting from the SS fund if they need it, but still, if there was a like button on HP I'd have hit it on your post there Bill. Good attitude.

5. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

How deafness affects your life and the ability to get a job often depends on the area where you live. I knew a deaf girl who moved here to Orlando, Florida.

She was shocked at how there is no deaf support whatsoever here. She could not get a job here. So she moved to Maryland I believe.

Up there is a whole community built around a deaf school. Everyone there is deaf so of course all the programs and infrastructure is build with the deaf in mind.

In fact a hearing person would feel out of place there, and most deaf people don't WANT to talk to hearing persons.

So it depends on the area you live in. I just learned to do whatever I had to with my deafness and accept that some things and situations I just don't belong in.

Working at home is one of the ways I adapted. I don't have to talk on the phone, deal with anyone. I do all my communication by email,,,,, and forums. big_smile