jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Israel slams Obama for turning his back on Egypt

1. pisean282311 profile image58
    pisean282311posted 5 years ago

Amid efforts by the Israeli government to consciously refrain from supporting embattled Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, the US administration has been flayed for "turning its back" on one of its most trusted allies in the Middle East and "throwing him to the dogs".

Israel said that US President Barack Obama needed to understand that "supporting the masses carrying out a revolution in Egypt is like support for the Muslim Brotherhood which is likely to take Mubarak's place. Israel said it was "disappointed by Obama turning his back" on Mubarak.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 5 years ago

What a tricky situation. I can sympathize with worries that the Muslim Brotherhood might take over if the current gov is tossed out. On the other hand the current gov is simply unacceptable and what those people are trying to do is amazing. My heart goes out to the people in Egypt right now and I hope that the do not settle for anything but real democracy, especially not the Muslim Brotherhood. hmm

3. CMHypno profile image88
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

I'm not surprised that Isreal is feeling nervous, but the Egyptian people have the same rights to choose their own style government as everyone else does.  Mubarek should have responded to the needs of his people years ago.

Your president is between a bit of a rock and a hard place - support the brutal dictator who the Western world has been bankrolling for years or support the rights of citizens to democracy, freedom of speech and prosperity.  All that aid has not done much for the average Egyptian, and many of them live in dire poverty.

Unfortunately, the world cannot continue to be run solely for the benefit and prosperity of the US, Israel and the West in general.

1. pisean282311 profile image58
      pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this