jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Post-Mubarak Egypt

1. mikelong profile image82
    mikelongposted 5 years ago

Now that the 30 year dictator is gone, what sort of changes will be seen in Egypt?

Will this mark the end of Egyptian police brutality?

1. 60
      C.J. Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Human nature says that the new regime, who ever that turns out to be will be very interested in the "lessons learned". The most obvious is how Social Networking and the Internet has contributed to widespread civil unrest. I suspect the new regime will be as equally restrictive and in some cases more restrictive. Obviously Egypts legal system is going to have to be completely revamped. It's pretty clear that the former regime created an "enemies list" and used the justice system to handle them.

2. sir slave profile image61
    sir slaveposted 5 years ago

I doubt it.
    the thugs come out when ever big money is involved.
    the reason we HAVE relations with any of these nations is for resource theft.

1. 0
      ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Really? I would have thought that the major benefit to your positive relationship with Egypt is the fact that they have the 10th largest military in the world, and that anything other than positive relations with that specific muslim state would make your efforts in the Middle East much harder. If there are any business benefits to that relationship it is the fact that the 10th largest military in the world are buying the majority of its weapons from the United States.

Egypt is one of those rare countries which shares a positive relationship with China, Russia and the United States; it is quite possible that a new regime will exception to the events in nearby Israel (with whom they once had a short war) and as a result create tensions between US and Egyptian administration. Anything other than a positive relationship with Egypt is dangerous for the coallition forces, and Egypt is not a country which the United States could ever consider invading. As is the case with any country which is allied with both Russia and China (which is effectively none).

3. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

I wil turn out to be a secular state with a strong religious component.. much like Turkey is today

1. 60
      C.J. Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That would be the best case scenario.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image92
      Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, I don't live there, so I don't get to vote, but I'm hoping for universal adult suffrage, guarantees of individual rights, and the enforcement thereof.

Everything else is details.

4. TheSenior profile image60
    TheSeniorposted 5 years ago

For one I really didn't know it was this bad, however I have learned fast that Mubarack was that rich and didn't share it with the people - how sad.

Being that Egypt is an Arab nation - this can translate to the other Arab nations specially Iran and Iraq that they had better start giving their people more freedoms and fast or as the news services have stated about Egypt - that it might explode.

Let's hope that Iran and Iraq take heed from Egypt and start listening to the people - the other interesting fact about Egypt is that the military and the people are uniting to become one with freedom and democracy.

5. DatChicLeeLee727 profile image59
    DatChicLeeLee727posted 5 years ago

I think Egyptians have a real shot at democracy now that Mubarak is gone, but there is still a lot of extreme elements there that could upset positive change. The situation in the Middle East needs to be watched closely and allowed to play itself out before any judgments can be made.