jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Didn't Obama Promise Sunshine Politics?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image82
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

President Obama ran a campaign promising openness.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/news/20090121/index.htm

Yet, here's where that led a certain Bradley Manning

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn … index.html

This isn't meant to be anti-Democrat rhetoric, this is a serious issue. Bush was responsible for, probably, even worse treatments of others.

This is not a partisan issue, this is a human rights issue. Obama is only mentioned because he is the one doing it CURRENTLY.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image91
      Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, he did promise that. I'm pretty ticked at him about this and other abuses he's allowed to continue on his watch.

I don't think Obama's driving this, but he sure ain't doing anything to stop it.

Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

wurd to that

2. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree, but reforming the military stoneheads is a battle.

2. lovemychris profile image81
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

This whole thing with wikileaks and this guy is strange, and we are NOT being told anything near the truth.
    Personally, I think they're keeping him there so he doesn't reveal something they REALLY don't want us to know.....like 9/11 type stuff. That's my personal opinion. So far, the leaks seem to reveal all the usual suspects....but what are they leaving out?

Years back, someone wrote that Bush had handed over power to the Pentagon. I really believe the Military Industrial Complex runs America. And not even for America!

I don't believe Obama would do this if it was in his power not to.

And Kucinich requested to go and visit Manning in prison....any news on that?

USA has been a horror show for a very long time.

Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I haven't really searched for the Kucinich visit, or whatnot.

I simply wanted to point out that both Democrats AND Republicans are sinister and vile.

1. tritrain profile image73
        tritrainposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree.  There are sinister and vile people on both, all, sides.

3. lovemychris profile image81
    1. tritrain profile image73
      tritrainposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That was a very interesting article. 

It makes me wonder if the highly, highly technical production of military technology is "requiring" the US government to keep them alive by propping up their stocks.

4. tritrain profile image73
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

Maybe he's being railroaded.

On the other hand, he knew what he was doing and sharing state secrets is serious business.

I highly doubt he knows anything about 9/11 specifically.  I had the same security clearance and wasn't privy to that level of information.

Also, keep in mind, the military justice system is not the same as the civilian justice system.  What he is experiencing is much the same as others that are inclined to share secrets. It has been that way for a long time.

I really have no pity for him at this point.

1. lovemychris profile image81
      lovemychrisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"Releasing classified information is a crime. Soldiers don't get to pick and choose which classified info they want to release. He knew what he was doing was illegal otherwise he would not have had to sneak the info out on a fake Gaga CD. The military has no choice. How can they not charge him?"

Plus--I know this is here nor there, but there were stories out that he was Assange's lover. Maybe he is doing this for "love"...and Assange gets all the glory.

5. lovemychris profile image81

Smedley Butler, "War is a Racket".

working