Logic behind union protests?

1. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 5 years ago

Someone needs to explain this to me I guess.  I'm not anti-union but I do look at things practically.  Based on the latest figures there are approximately 385,000 union members in Wisconsin.  The population of the State of Wisconsin is roughly 5,700,000 therefore the union members make up 6.7% of the population.  Unions don't want to pay a dime more for their retirement or their healthcare thus the protests.  To hell with the other 93.3% of the citizens of Wisconsin.  Imagine having to pay a larger portion of your own retirement! What's the world coming to?

Why don't they be honest and come right out and say it?  "We demand to be taken care of in the fashion we've become accustomed to.  If you want to balance the budget do it somewhere else.  Let the non-union smucks make sacrifices because we're union members.  Why don't you just raise taxes?"  Why should the 6.7% be allowed to hold the other 93.3% hostage?  If you and 99 of your friends decided to go out to eat together and split the cost evenly and of the 100 only 7 wanted to eat Italian.  The other 93 wanted Mexican.  Where to you think you'd be going?  Mexican.  You know you would.  If the 7 didn't change they'd be free to go wherever they wanted but the 93 wouldn't be chipping in on the bill now would they?  Ain't it funny how logic works?

The mentality that's got us to this point is 'yes, we've got to make changes, and we've got to make cuts just as long as I don't have to change and nothing of mine gets cut.'

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We are facing similar issues in Michigan. The sacrifice must be shared fairly by everyone in the state.