jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

In honor of the President's Day holiday one week recess for Congress?

1. rocketjsqu profile image84
    rocketjsquposted 5 years ago

Am I the only one who is infuriated by this or what?  Ok, I recognize the importance of commemorating or past presidents. 

How is it that govt employees get a one day holiday, some with pay some not, and yet the members of Congress get a one WEEK recess for the Presidents DAY holiday?

Our govt is currently in the midst of a fiscal crisis, yet Congress is taking a week off? 

Imagine in the private sector if your company was in the same kind of crisis, where you are about to run out of money to pay your bills, would you send your entire executive staff on a weeks vacation?  This is obsurd.  This may seem trivial to some, but it is exactly the kind of oversight that allows our Congress to pass cushy benefit packages to govt politicians.

Come on people, we need to raise our voices and get these elected officials back to work to get the job done.  Take a day off maybe, but a week?

2. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago

I agree.
    I think it would be fitting if they gave the peons underneath them the week off and they themselves be sent to a soup kitchen to wash dishes all week without pay.  Then they might have some idea what it's like to actually....work.

1. rocketjsqu profile image84
      rocketjsquposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Somewhere along the line "we the people" have allowed our elected politicians to decide how much they pay themselves and what kind of benefit package they receive.  Where in the private sector do employees get to decide how much the company pays them (excluding unions)?  Why should our elected officials be able to decide there own wages?

3. Evan G Rogers profile image81
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

you recognize the importance of commemorating past presidents?

really?

I sure as hell don't!

4. lovemychris profile image81
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

It hasn't exactly been a boon of activity over there since "The Take-Over".
    From what I can see, all they've done is take away rights from women and take away programs for the poor and needy.

Mr. Speaker: Where are the jobs?

Let me guess:  They are all on a private junkett on some Bahaman Island, paid for by the Koch Bro's?

5. lovemychris profile image81
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

"Where in the private sector do employees get to decide how much the company pays them (excluding unions)? "

They don't. They have to take whatever the boss decides.

That's what's great about unions...you have a say in YOUR sweat and blood!

working