jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Pentagon's $7 million NASCAR spend -- justified?

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

As the Tea Party freshmen pull out their machetes to slash the federal budget, here's one item that was spared.
    I don't know about you, but I could think of several ways to spend $7 million besides a decal on a race car....

http://www.kxan.com/dpps/military/House … ms_3722746

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just think of all the hammers they could buy with 7 Million.

At least three or four.

2. Stevennix2001 profile image82
      Stevennix2001posted 5 years ago in reply to this

paragraph from the site link: "McCollum said the military spends the funds to place decals on race cars and for a few driver appearances. The armed forces hope the sponsorships will help them attract recruits."

I for one don't agree with this to quite honest.  However, from a marketing standpoint, I can see where the pentagon is coming from.  Believe it or not, Nascar is the 2nd most popular sport in America behind the NFL, and everyone who follows the news knows that our military is already stretched fairly thin as it is.  Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that the government would do something like this to make the idea of the military more popular among our younger generation of Americans.  Therefore, on a marketing perspective, I can see where the logic of their thinking lies.  Do I agree with it?  Certainly not, as I can think of better ways to promote the military than this, but nobody asked me, so what do I know?  Anyways, I appreciate you bringing this up Mighty Mom, as it's a topic well worth discussing.

3. livewithrichard profile image86
      livewithrichardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

just some facts I found:

* 1 in 3 American adults follows NASCAR (75 million +).
          * NASCAR is broadcast in over 150 countries and 23 languages every weekend in season.
          * NASCAR races draw larger crowds than the Super Bowl, World Series and the NBA finals combined!
          * NASCAR is growing!
          * Race attendance has almost doubled in the last 15 years.
          * 6.9 million fans attended NASCAR Cup Series events in 2005.
          * 77% of NASCAR fans are between 18-54 years old.
          * 40% are women.
          * 80% of NASCAR fans said that when they buy a NASCAR sponsor’s product, they feel they are contributing to the sport.

From this I would gather that advertising with NASCAR is a fairly good investment.

How many more possible recruits could they reach if they advertised on Facebook or Sponsored Tweets?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82

Well with the way our society is going, and how immensely popular those sites are. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they're already doing that now.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

weren't you just arguing that we should have high speed rail because it boosts spending and creates jobs?

I'm in the f-ing twilight zone.

Government spending is bad no matter which party is doing it.

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

A prime example of the willful ignorance of citizens to not truly pay attention to the things that directly or indirectly effects their life.

Thank you Mighty Mom for pointing stupidity at it's best.

Why is the Pentagon investing in decals on cars? This seems to be an investment in the infrastructure of Nascar, however, but also is a misappropriation of funds. The "pentagon" shouldn't be investing any funds it received in anything other than domestic protection and foreign threat protection of citizens.

Remember, Nascar is a business, but not one that the "pentagon" should be investing in. So, no it's not justified.

3. lovemychris profile image78
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

"Nascar is a business, but not one that the "pentagon" should be investing in. So, no it's not justified."

Nascar is a business, that's WHY it is justified.

Anything business=good
    Anything people=bad

Repub view of the world, IMHO.

1. Cagsil profile image84
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I get your point Lovemychris, but just because the government justifies it....it still doesn't make it true.

The "pentagon" is the problem. It's not their responsibility, which I think we agree on. There is no need to point what side justifies it, because it's actually irrelevant.

Under no circumstances is it truly justified for the pentagon, of all places(or people), to spend money on a completely irrelevant business, with regards to their own responsibilities.

The pentagon isn't responsible for infrastructure of Nascar and anyone who think it is, is lying. wink

4. Mighty Mom profile image91

LOL Evan. I can see why you might feel you are in the twilight zone. No, I pointedly stayed out of the high speed rail discussion...

As for the NASCAR/Pentagon spend. As a marketing strategy, I can definitely see that NASCAR is the perfect demographic.
    And obviously they DO have a marketing budget -- how many Army ads have you seen on TV?
    Interesting that other armed forces pulled out of NASCAR sponsorships.
    And frankly, "hoping sponsorships will help attract recruits" doesn't cut it. Where is the measurement of results? Either it does -- or it's just a "feel good" for the Army.

Agree with you, Jim. Think of all the other things they could buy with that $7 million.
    3-4 hammers and possibly even a package of nails, too lol!

1. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol, sorry, I wasn't actually aiming at you. that was a mistake on my part.

I was just pointing out the obvious contradiction between people who say NASCAR shouldn't be funded, but who think that high speed rail SHOULD be funded (and vice versa).

This is a perfect chance to point out the idiocy of government and partisan politics.

5. Mighty Mom profile image91

Yes, this scenario is a great opportunity to raise those points, Evan!! smile

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

As has been stated, it's good advertisement.

I talked to a woman today whose husband is trying to get into the Navy.  He can't because he has 13 run-ins with police - such things as riding a bicycle 12 years ago with no tail light.  He was finally told outright that they wouldn't take him because they already have far more applicants than they can use.

My daughter in law is leaving the navy because she can't get a promotion and therefore can't stay in.  They won't let her continue her 12 year career.  She can't get the promotion because they are accepting only 3% of qualified applicants for it.

Doesn't sound to me like the Navy, at least, needs to advertise for anything!

7. The Power Of One profile image59
    The Power Of Oneposted 5 years ago

I would love to see that money spent on the soldiers themselves.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image59
      uncorrectedvisionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

One of the benefits of a strong recruiting program is the support of other soldiers, airmen, sailors.  If the ranks are spread thin and suffer burn out it is good for them to have others take their place as they recuperate.  It is a recruitment tool with an organization that has faithful followers.  That would make it a good investment.

2. Stevennix2001 profile image82

I second that notion.  Military soldiers are vastly underpaid for the work they put in for us. they're often unappreciated and vilified in the eyes of the media a lot.

8. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 5 years ago

It's just plain old dumb for the Republicans and the Pentagon to support this $7 million crap.