Will the Arabic Wave also Sweep Ghaddafhi?

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
    Rajab Nsubugaposted 5 years ago

Even in the midst of protests, the most fierce leader that Africa has ever seen, stood out referred to the protesters as "dogs." Will Qaddafi's defiance stand the test of time or we are simply being treated to 'kicks of a dying horse?'

2. Flightkeeper profile image78
    Flightkeeperposted 5 years ago

It would be great if the Libyans can get rid of Qaddafi.  It would be even greater if they manage to prevent another dictatorship from being established with their next leader so that the violence and deaths are for no reason.

3. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
    Rajab Nsubugaposted 5 years ago

I am sorry to note, Flightkeeper, that we are most likely headed to a more volatile Middle-East than before. If we are to take a quick analysis into the protests you will find that they are more sporadic than organised movements with a common and defined agenda.

Lets take Tunisia following the self-immolation of Mohamed Bouaziz. President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali reigned and fled the country only to be replaced by his Prime Minister Ghannouchi who was tasked to form a new 'unity' government. He kept several ministers from the former ruling party in key positions. And just a day later, the fledgling government was rocked by renewed protests and the resignation of three ministers.

The change over in Egypt was much like a military coup. The constitution was breached since officially it should have been the Speaker of Parliament to take over and not the army. But more importantly is to note the statement from Iran. It refers to events in Egypt as a 'great victory.' This statement should be read alongside the intentions of Iran visa vis Israel.

In Bahrain other than protesters sleeping at Pearl Roundabout in Manama they are of little consequence same could be said of those in Jordan. I will echo Col. Mummar Qaddafi's words that the protests will bring nothing to Libya but only turn it into another Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia. Though I am not a supporter of the despot.