Was the 2008 Election Actually a Coup d'état?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. AnnCee profile image67
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

With all that is going on in Wisconsin in opposition to a freely elected governor attempting to improve the economy of his state one has to wonder. 

Taking into account the amazing access union leaders have had to Barack Obama one has to wonder. 

Considering the participatory community organized nature of the Obama campaign one has to wonder. 

With the president of the United States coming out firmly against state's rights one has to wonder.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image59
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"... one has to wonder."

... No they don't.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image62
      I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"in opposition to a freely elected governor attempting to improve the economy of his state"

This is an opinion. The governor entered office with a surplus less than 2 months ago and he quickly enacted a tax-cut and spending plan that has the state in the red. He may have done this because he thought it was the best thing to do for the state's economy, or he may have done it so he could use the financial situation as leverage to break the unions, which generally support liberal politicians. I don't know which it was, I can't read his mind.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

How can you overthrow a president that had finished his second term?

A Coup d'état is a sudden desposition of a government, that term does not make sense when applied to an election in a democratic country.

Even Egypt cannot be described as a Coup d'état due to the lack of internal involvement.

3. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

A drovers Dog could have beat Bush in 2008 even though has was unable to run a third term

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"Was the 2008 Election Actually a Coup d'état?" Every presidential election is a coup d'état.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

It seems that what is going on in WI, IN, OH, etc. is more a reflection of the 2010 elections than the 2008 election.

I hate to constantly use CA as the counterpoint example, but in this case it works. We are also hemorrhaging red ink in our state. We have incredibly powerful unions -- state workers, teachers, prison guards, etc. Governor Brown has stated publicly that he is in favor of MORE participatory government. He has no intention of union busting. He'll beat up plenty on the unions, but won't strip them of their right to collective bargaining.

What if -- just for arguments' sake -- the Wisconsin unions agreed to everything the governor is asking?

1. AnnCee profile image67
      AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe Governor Walker is intent on getting rid of collective bargaining for public employees.   That won't happen easily.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That would effectively put them out of business which is the governor's objective and of the Koch brothers who are pulling the strings from behind the curtain. Walker is the Kochs' pulltoy.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image74
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"What if -- just for arguments' sake -- the Wisconsin unions agreed to everything the governor is asking?"
      You mean like they did?
      Well, they agreed to everything except the loss of their collective bargaining rights. But that's not good enough for the Gov. and the Bros. Koch, apparently. .

6. AnnCee profile image67
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

Maybe coup is the wrong term.  I suspect though, that this administration is not serving the American people.  They are owned by the unions and who knows who else.  Union leaders have had unprecedented access to this White House.  What the Democrat reps in Wisconsin are doing is against the will of those they were elected to represent.

Is it a coup if a government is taken over by a force that no longer represents the electorate?

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope, its just an ill informed electorate electing someone in who is ill suited to represent them smile

Then again I don't think there was an option that would be well suited to representing the average person hmm

2. Jeff Berndt profile image74

"Maybe coup is the wrong term."

Definitely coup is the wrong term. The correct term is "election." That's when the people all get together and vote on who they think should hold various political offices. The person who gets the most votes is the one that wins, with a few notable exceptions.

"Is it a coup if a government is taken over by a force that no longer represents the electorate?"

That depends. Did said force get elected? If so, no. Did said force violently overthrow the elected government? If so, yes,

Sheesh, don't you have access to a dictionary? Try your nearest public library.

7. Mighty Mom profile image77

Hate to say it, but every government is owned by someone.
    Is being owned by the unions any worse than being owned by corporations?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unions have been powerful in a number of states and cities, but their influence nationally has declined greatly to the detriment of our democracy which is now more of a corporate oligarchy.

2. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very little difference.  The unions are more likely to use violence to get their way is all.

3. AnnCee profile image67
      AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think so.  Democracies always die.  Look at Venezuela today.

The unions want Participatory Democracy.  The idea is that the time is right.  Technology, as used in Egypt recently for example, will make the participation of the mob possible.

“A democracy is always temporary in nature: it simple cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority will always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship.”

http://www.apatheticvoter.com/Article_D … racies.htm

The unions that represent public employees have discovered the power of "voting themselves generous gifts from the public treasury."  They are breaking cities and states and the country.

1. DTR0005 profile image59
        DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

AnnCee, you may not believe this, but some of things you post are eerily similar to opinions expressed in "Mein Kampf." I am name calling here - it's just an observation....

8. knolyourself profile image60

Have that many considered the reason that all these government entities are going broke, like the Wall Streeet gangsters that did a mafia bust-out on the US and the world, and who are all flying high with no one going to jail except for Madeoff who was a small time grifter in comparison. That and the Military Industrial Complex.

9. Mighty Mom profile image77

Ah yes, the Koch brothers.... the Wizards of Oz.
    I WISH we could pay no attention to those men behind the curtain!

One thing that really bothers me, however.
    Where were the actuaries in all these states (and the federal government) predicting the pension liabilities??? The health care liabilities are a bit trickier, of course.
    It's not like we woke up one day and said, "OMG, we have promised all these pensions and health benefits and now we can't pay for them."
    I think it's grossly unfair to the workers who worked 20, 30 or even 40 years expecting their government to honor their commitments.
    At the same time, NEGOTIATION is and always has been necessary on both sides.

1. profile image59

So why aren't the Dems back in the state capitol in Wisconsin, negotiating?
      Why aren't the Dems in the Senate negotiating to prevent a government shutdown?

As far as pensions go, the states should have had the brains to realize that most state pension plans are not and never have been sustainable.  I know people who are in state employ and they have incredible pension benefits that are far and above what I and my peers in the private sector receive.
      That said, if they promised it, they should pay up.  Just need to quit promising it.

2. profile image52
      Row Rowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL...the Koch brothers.

How come everytime I watch PBS they are supporting the liberal programming?

10. Mighty Mom profile image77

I wholeheartedly agree with you logic,commonsense.
    It's more of a "how the heck did we get HERE?" situation.
    The private sector moved off defined benefit pension plans back in the 1980s. I guess that was not a cue to the public sector to follow suit...

Living in the state capital, I see the "system" in action (or inaction) every day. Believe me, I am all for radical reform of  public employees compensation -- in fact, I would like a top-to-bottom productivity audit of all state departments to determine how many unnecessary JOBS there are. Not just reviewing the $ paid and promised to these people, but are all these workers really necessary (already know the answer to that one, but nobody asked me!).

1. profile image59

Yeah, I have intimate knowledge of what state workers do and the overabundance of unnecessary state workers.  They spend a lot of time writing and copying their resumes', making posters and fliers on taxpayer copiers on taxpayer paper, protesting their employer.
      The problem is not just the unions, it is the people who manage the state government, regardless of party.

11. Mighty Mom profile image77

I hear ya.
    The biggest puzzlement to me is that it is virtually impossible to fire a state worker. You have to do something really, really egregious to be terminated. Otherwise, you are like tenured and they can't touch you. Having many, many state worker friends, I have heard some horror stories that would make even the most hard-core Democrat cringe!
    And you are right. It is not party-specific. One of the biggest wastes here is that every time a new governor comes in, he cleans house. All the cush "appointees" get ousted and new people get those jobs (favors for party loyalty). There are so many questionable departments here -- and what do the "deputies" of these departments really do, besides collecting 6-figure paychecks? They go to conferences all over the place.
    I would say, nice work if you can get it -- wish I could score one of those positions.
    But honestly, now matter how bad the economy has gotten or my own financial situation, I simply cannot picture myself working for the state. A certain amount of contempt prior to investigation is at work here, I acknowledge.
    But I know I would be frustrated to spend 8 hours a day watching time being wasted on a massive scale.
    Don't mean to offend any hubbers who happen to be government employees. These are my own, personal opinions.

12. knolyourself profile image60

Maybe like that defining moment, as when Reagan busted the Flight Controller's Union.

13. Mighty Mom profile image77

The fact that this scenario seems to be being replicated in other now Republican controlled states is suspicious. If the unions are willing to accept concessions, then it's NOT about cutting costs or balancing the budget. It's about demolishing the Democrats by busting the unions.
    Diabolical.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74

"It's about demolishing the Democrats by busting the unions.
      Diabolical."

Exactly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)