jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

If the government shuts down...

1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Will SS checks and the mail stop? According to the CRS Report to Congress and CNN, the answer to both is "NO!"

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/21/news/ec … /index.htm

On the other hand, FOX News and some Democrats for once agree. They say SS checks WILL stop:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02 … ent-shuts/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/19/us/po … .html?_r=1

So who's right?? FOX and Dems, or CNN and CRS??

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

The Media is bought and paid for by the highest political Bidder.

The truth is we have run out of monies before, it was a temporary thing, not perminant. They need votes and it will always be a temp. condition. It is a sham performance, done for fear.

None have the answer because people called Editors work with Media owners and politicans to keep truth hidden. We have lost the Art of Journalism. It has become Entertainers doing news clips for posturing, for contracts. Nothing is dug out and reported correctly.

Added to this, The True art of investigative reporting is not being taught, it has been replaced by Radio, TV-Film majors who  are built well and can speak well with correct voice inflictions to make it on TV.  Weither you know anything or not, and or have any ability to write well is beside the point.

Double D's and a great Radio voice make it every time- reguardless.

And an added bonus comes to those Owners if you are less aware and more naive, then the better it is for an Editor to control you!

2. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

No one has an answer? When the gov. shut down under Clinton, I think SS and some other agencies kept a skeleton crew on staff to take care of mandatory obligations.

3. fundguru profile image61
    fundguruposted 5 years ago

Honestly I think all the media coverage is already part of the next election game. Seriously if the US suddenly would run out of money to pay the bills, then it would have severe consequences for the entire nation.

So not only SS checks, but then also several federal employees wouldn´t receive their payments and the Dollar would incredibly loose its value towards other currencies. Inflation would explode.

Can you imagine the chaos that would happen?

So its more a media game between Democrats and Republicans to manipulate voters. The republicans try to blame Obama and may really go the last step and freeze the debt sealing and the Democrats then blame the Republicans, because they didn´t agree.

So if you watch or read Fox news, then its obviously a media publishing in the interest of Republicans and well of course the website of the Democrats says something different.

But at the end nor Reps nor Dems decide, but the American citizens.

1. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, this time FOX and the Dems agree! That's why I'm confused. lol

4. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

with states like cali and wisconson bein in financial dire straits it makes you wonder how long until all 50 are! It could be the begining of the end for the u.s.

5. lady_love158 profile image59
    lady_love158posted 5 years ago

Good!! Shut it all down!! That will keep them from wasting our money! Get used to it people America is bankrupt!

1. Brie Hoffman profile image81
      Brie Hoffmanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Got that right lady love!

6. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago

Best we learn how to be good neighbors to each other, regardless of what happens in government. The government isn't going to save us from our sorrows in the end. Only we are going to do that. Paying it forward could be something we could do any time because there's plenty of trouble everywhere that the government isn't ever going to solve.

1. habee profile image91

So true, Daniel! I LOVE the idea of paying it forward! I really feel that we're all in this together and must depend on each other. If only everyone felt that way...

1. Daniel Carter profile image90
        Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

When the world goes to hell, I'll move next door. smile

1. habee profile image91

That would be awesome! I'd love to have you as a neighbor instead of the scary-crazy-mean woman who lives across the street. lol

7. 69
    logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago

I think that could be a movie.  "What If The Government Shut Down and No One Noticed"!
    Don't you just love these national news people just trying to scare the bejezzus out we'uns out in the sticks.  I gotta laugh at their overdramatizing the mideast problems and the scary ol' Repubs on the verge of causing Rapture!  Too bad they don't have a real clue about what they are carrying on about.
    The world is coming to an end, but not in our lifetimes! smile