jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Were Teachers Abused? How Did the Unions Take Them Over?

1. AnnCee profile image79
    AnnCeeposted 5 years ago

I can understand factory workers and miners seeking to unionize in order to gain some safety and stability in their work.

But how'd the unions get ahold of teachers?

My guess?   It has to do with nothing but Communism.

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
      Jim Hunterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think it has more to do with mediocrity and protecting it.

Whether they are competent to teach is irrelevant, but their ability to pay dues is very relevant.

Got to keep those democrat coffers full.

1. AnnCee profile image79
        AnnCeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think the lack of competency is the result of unionization rather than the impetus for it.

Originally, how did the unions appeal to teachers?   Were their jobs being threatened?  Were they underpaid?   Were their work conditions brutal?   Were they treated like slaves?

2. BobbiRant profile image80
    BobbiRantposted 5 years ago

Originally the profession employed mostly all women and so yes, I'm afraid they were taken advantage of.  Watch 'Waiting for Superman' and you will see why teachers unions got started.

1. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I remember a teacher friend back in the 80s complaining that the profession was over run with middle class "ladies" who saw the job as a vocation and did not need to earn as they were mostly married to wealthy men.
      They opposed the unions and any other move to make the profession any more professional!

The government of the day, despite all evidence to the contrary branded the teaching profession as a hot bed of left wingers.