jump to last post 1-26 of 26 discussions (181 posts)

How do we escape from slavery to foreign oil?

1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 6 years ago

Are we going to wait like a drug addict until we hit rock bottom before we "detox?"
    Qwark

1. profile image60
      ShortStoryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Until we are ready to put environmentalism in its proper place instead of being slaves to it we will never realize our own energy potential.

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Shorty:
        Ya got it!
        TY!
        ....and when we can vote honest, caring politicians into office whose politial goal isn't to get rich on under the table payments from "big oil!"

Both of these goals, in todays world, are improbable!

Qwark

1. profile image60

Be optimistic!

1. qwark profile image60

Short;
            lol...give me a convincing reason!   smile:
            Qwark

1. profile image60

Because sooner or later we'll have no choice but to put environmentalism in its proper (and important) place.

1. qwark profile image60

Short:
                Fingers crossed you're right!
                Qwark

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago in reply to this

what a dumb question.

We're not enslaved by "FOREIGN oil".

FOREIGN~~~ !!! KYAAAAAAAA!!!!

We buy it, willingly, because it's cheaper than the alternatives.

Quit using racism to scare people.

3. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

convert to natural Gas, will be the immediate answer, then drill on our side of the world. and switch Oil to a back up source. But.... Like Evan above just wrote

it will be more expensive if we buy from our own investors and speculators and not foregin, where it is cheeper. 

Big Block Investing in future's and Goverments like China, demanding more Oil and Euro-Eastern Traders with backing from money pools are more of a threat to Oil prices than anything going on in the Mid-East right now.

We treat Oil as an auctionable commodity, thus highest bidder gets the lot.

do like they do in Europe, live closer, ride mo-peds or pedal.  Take trolleys, Trains and busses. we almost have no choice now.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image83

A much better solution would be to realize that this is really nothing more than a non-issue.

We aren't slaves to oil, and we're especially not slaves to FOREIGN oil. (FOREIGN!! BE SCARED!!!)

We willingly hand our money over because it's cost-effective to do so.

1. superwags profile image80
          superwagsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm so scared about bolstering foreign regimes that I've given up coffee and now drink good old British mud with my breakfast. How are we to break this cycle of foreign slavery to coffee. And tea.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image83

If you're that worried about "FOREIGN" things, then I hope you never bothered to learn a "FOREIGN" language.

After all.. THE FOREIGNERS ARE TRYING TO MAKE US SLAVES TO THEIR LANGUAGE!!!

MWARRRR!!!

It's a non-issue. So is the "foreign oil" issue.

At least you're voting with your dollars instead of taking away my right to buy oil and plastics.

2. qwark profile image60

Natural gas? Yes! it burns clean and is plentiful!

Rogers has never had anything credible to offer. He is on my "no response list."

Our energy policy is controlled by oil.

It is so omnipotent that changes in our energy policy have not/cannot be changed.

We have the largest oil reserves on earth right here in N. America, but the asininity of conservationism rules!

This is a quote from Lee Iacocca:

"This country has the largest oil reserves in the WORLD, and we cannot drill for it  because the politicians have been bought by the tree-hugging environmentalists"

There are many options available to "create" the energy we need.

WE THE PEOPLE ARE SLAVES and it's of our own doing!

Qwark

2. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 6 years ago

Good gosh!
    No one is thinking about this?
    I guess ya'll love $4 - 6 buck gas prices.
    tch tch
    QWark

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
      Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Walk. big_smile

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You mean, slavery to the oil corps? You pay what the corps want you to pay. And be happy that you don't live in Europe Qwark, because you would realise that petrol is CHEAP in the United States hmm

3. aware profile image70
    awareposted 6 years ago

we plunder

1. qwark profile image60

..our own supplies! 
      Qwark

2. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
      Lita C. Malicdemposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Bad boy, haha! But it's happening! I've read you Sir. I like this!

4. aware profile image70
    awareposted 6 years ago

Plunder  as in  spoils of war. . Secure   supply by taking it. Im not saying we should. But we could.  WE are already hated ,most think that's our  intention to  steal  their oil.

1. canadawest99 profile image61
      canadawest99posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Stop driving to walmart to buy useless plastic stuff that people overseas make instead of us.

5. aware profile image70
    awareposted 6 years ago

thought we were talking oil

6. aware profile image70
    awareposted 6 years ago

my motor is  4 cylinder .  yours?

1. qwark profile image60

Aware:
      So damned many other things are made from oil by products.
      Let's use our own oil damnit!
      Qwark

7. aware profile image70
    awareposted 6 years ago

Its  prudent to  save our oil for last. We will use it, but first use up theirs . I have faith that when  all the crude is  gone there will be another resource  to replace it.  I think the  technology is already ,ready. Big oil just wants to squeeze   us for every last penny  they can.
    Ray

1. qwark profile image60

Aware;
      I disagree, respectfully of course...smile:
      There is more than enuf oil right here in he good Ole USA to last us for many generations.
      Conservationists and paid (under-the-table) politicians won't allow us to free ourselves from the shackles of power held by "big oil."
      WE HAVE TO GET FREE FROM FOREIGN OIL....NOW!!!!!!!
      Qwark

1. kerryg profile image86
        kerrygposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Didn't we go over this last week? The US only has enough crude oil to last us for a few decades at current consumption rates. Shale oil is currently too expensive and too destructive to count on as a viable substitute. It makes far more sense to reduce our dependence on foreign oil by reducing our dependence on oil, period.

Renewables such as solar, wind, tidal, and geothermal could make a big dent on our need for oil and other fossil fuels to power homes, factories, and buildings, leaving more oil to be consumed by things for which we currently have no substitute for oil.

Simple conservation can put another massive dent in our consumption. We could save a billion barrels of oil a year just by keeping our tires properly inflated. Add in things like double-glazed windows, cool roofs, proper insulation of buildings, more walkable/bikeable cities, better public transportation, more local food production, etc. and we reduce our consumption by billions more.

None of this stuff is hard. It just requires the political will to carry it out, and the more we cling to unrealistic dreams of American oil independence based on its own oil reserves, the longer it will take to roll up our sleeves and do what it will take to become truly independent.

1. qwark profile image60

Kerry:
          Of course!
          There are many options!
          "Big oil" has it's heel on all of 'em!
            "   "     "   "  "    "  politics!
            "   "     "   "  "    "  the world economy!
            "   " has absolute control!
          Greedy, primitive man is the "thoughtful" crafty perp!
          Absolute power corrupts, ABSOLUTELY!
          Qwark

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Aware, hey you may have something here. maybe that why all the Islamic folks keep migrating here, They keep their Oil Profits after the Mid East runs out, we could be the New Islam!!!!!!

only prob. is unlike Quait we all would not get the Oil royalty Checks like they do.  Sam would give to China before they would us!

8. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago

Anybody ever hear of the 'Bloom Box'?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_Energy_Server

9. trooper22 profile image60
    trooper22posted 6 years ago

There is no shortage of resources per se.  The real problem is that we have too many consumers.  As the world population crests the seven billion mark, we humans continue to deny that there is just far too many of us for this planet to support.  Instead of adopting population control solutions, we increase rhetoric and denial.  We, like lemmings are on our way to what biologists call a J curve.  As our population continues to spiral out of control, we will eventually reach a plateau and then crash.  I personally have no hope for the larger body of our population.  We, just as creatures that exist within their environments naturally will be forced to adapt or die.  I have full confidence that once the peak of the curve is reached, our species will get the message.  But as history teaches us, it takes something catastrophic for humans to get the message.  I often wonder if this is not the intention of the powers that be.

1. profile image60

There are NOT too many of us for the planet to support. This is an outdated fear.

That depends entirely on how many resources we consume per capita. If everybody consumed at American levels, we'd need four Earths. If everybody consumed like an Ethiopian, we could fit billions upon billions more onto this one.

1. profile image60

Not so. If everyone got to the economic level where they could consume like Americans they would be facing the same demographic shifts that much of the developed world is starting to face now. Aging, declining populations would - presumably - satisfy some of the overpopulation chicken littles out there.

2. The Quiz Master profile image69
      The Quiz Masterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Reply:ShortStory
      Over population chicken littles?

This world is so over populated it's choking to death!
      There is virtually no where you can go now without another human being close by.

I say, STOP BREADING or at least every couple should only have one child so they can leave a legacy or fulfil some maternal desire. What's immoral about allowing couples to have one child? I think it's selfish and greedy to have more than 2, animals only have more offspring than us because they have less chance of survival, mostly because of us.

To answer the topic of this thread, we have been able to run vehicles on alternative fuels ever since the engine was invented and only greed has kept the population in the dark about other cleaner and cheaper alternatives, it makes me sick to the stomach.

With any luck there will be a catastrophic event that will wipe all humans off the face of this beautiful planet we use and abuse so much.

1. profile image60

"This world is so over populated it's choking to death!"

It most certainly is not, and if you really want to see all humans wiped off the face of the earth start with yourself and leave the rest of us alone.

10. knolyourself profile image61

How many is too many?

11. knolyourself profile image61

Think I talk to myself. "World’s sixth mass extinction may be underway: study".

12. Hugh Williamson profile image87
    Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago

"The real problem is that we have too many consumers."

We are now in the initial stages of the shortages which will become more acute until nature reduces the population, just as it does with any other species. Humans are NOT exempt from the laws of nature regarding the consequences of overpopulation.

Food - It's becoming more expensive as agro technology struggles to increase output. Extreme weather is becoming a more of a factor.

Oil - well, we all know about that. The U.S. has 15 yrs of reserves.

Pollution - Not many places left to soil except our own nests.

Global climate change - We prefer to pretend the glaciers aren't melting.

China is hoarding rare minerals, Russia is claiming polar oil in disputed territories for itself, genetically modified corn is being accepted by more countries since that's all that's on the market.

The problems of the world won't be solved if we keep breeding like fruitflies. This is about science not religion or philosophy.

My thoughts.

1. profile image60

'Overpopulation' is NOT a problem and morally dubious schemes for population control are NOT the answer to the real problems of the world.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image87
        Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You are not alone in that opinion, and therein lies the problem.

1. profile image60

Being realistic and not embracing panic at every opportunity is also NOT a problem.

Why do you think overpopulation is better?

Why should future generations suffer the consequences of this generations failure to face obvious facts?

1. profile image60

The earth is NOT overpopulated so there is no "better" to panic over.

Is oil the only thing that's running out?

Stretch the world's remaining oil as much as you want, the fact is that it's finite and going fast. Estimates vary, naturally, but many say there's 40 yrs of oil, 60 yrs of gas and 120 years of coal left. The Saudis and others are probably inflating their reserve numbers for economic reasons. (To comfort Investors). Biofuels require fertilizers which are produced using petroleum.

A check on most other world resources and give similar sobering figures. We cannot continue to consume at the present rate but if the  population keeps increasing -- we must.

We're running out of fresh water. People in Orange Co. Ca use recycled sewage to supplement dwindling fresh water supplies. ("Crap to Tap"). That's something to look forward to, isn't it.

Overpopulation is leading to wars, poverty, disease and a diminishing of progress in science, education, resource conservation and balance of trade. And oil.

This is largely a myth and rhetoric. I'm not bashing the sentiment - lots of people think this - but it's just not true.

There are barely any of the existing resources that wont be just as available for the next 100 years at least. Look up Erlich - Simon Wager. This is because we become better at exploiting them (extracting, recycling, slimming down the amount we use). The US upped its estimate of how much gas is sitting under them and available by 100% last year because of the ability to extract fractal shale gas, for example.

The world's population will plateau at around 9 billion. Population isn't leading to wars. There are no wars over resources generally, it doesn't make financial sense - this is why "oh we only invaded Iraq for the oil" doesn't hold water.

It has not damaged scientific progress, it's encouraged it. How can a large population hinder science?! It can lead to disease and relative poverty in crowded urban environments, I'll give you that. But for the majority of people the world gets better year on year on a steady trend by every measure.

I am actually involved in renewables, but this kind of rhetoric drives me mad!

Rhetoric or living with reality? You underestimate the problem.

"The Middle East and Europe are the most overpopulated regions. China and India, despite having the highest populations, rank lower, at 29th and 33rd respectively. The world as a whole, meanwhile, is overpopulated by two billion - the difference between its actual population and the number it can support sustainably, given current lifestyles and technologies." http://www.overpopulation.org/solutions.html

Yes, conservation and new technologies will help. Not enough though.

The Iraq war wasn't about oil? It wasn't only about oil, but oil was a big part of it. Why haven't other oil-less baddies (N. Korea) been invaded?

Pop. will plateau at 9 billion? The UN population study, the most extensive to date gives 3 different scenarios. The largest forcasts 31 billion. Pick your number, nobody knows. Let's put our heads in the sand and go with the smaller number. http://www.un.org/esa/population/public … 0final.pdf

You deal in recyclables? Business will be getting better, no doubt. How about some data to back up your rosey forecast.

2. profile image60

"Is oil the only thing that's running out?"

Oil is not running out, and 'overpopulation' is NOT leading to wars, disease, the diminishment of progress, etc.  That is just false, empty rhetoric.

13. weholdthesetruths profile image59
    weholdthesetruthsposted 6 years ago

Drill, baby, DRILL!

Actually, US oil production is at its highest level since the early 2000s right now. Hasn't done much to lower prices. tongue

http://i54.tinypic.com/2le56km.gif

14. knolyourself profile image61

Henry Ford could run cars on Hemp in 1927.
    Notice Marijuana and its relation Hemp are illegal in all but three states and those recent additions. If it should take brains to get into heaven, should not be overpopulated.

15. superwags profile image80
    superwagsposted 6 years ago

Ultimately we switch to gas and other sources, particularly bioethanel and electricity for vehicles...

The US - in line with many other countries - upped it's estimate of available natural gas by 100% last year because of advances in aquiring fractal shale gas.

Not a lot of people know that!

16. Daniel Carter profile image91
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

It's pretty evident that as long as we are willing to buy gas at such inflated prices, the present scenario will continue.

When gas hits $4 a gallon (which apparently is soon) then we will start assessing our driving habits and using more alternatives. If it doesn't hurt, we won't change. If it hurts, we'll make changes.

We are in willing bondage to other countries from which we buy oil. There isn't enough discomfort yet to change it. And the last time this happened, all the dialog went away when gas prices dropped to $2.50 a gallon. So apparently we believe that this discomfort is only temporary.

1. profile image60

If gas hits $5.00 a gallon I'm just gonna hook a bunch of British people up to a sled and whip them until they take me to the packie and back.

They'll be too awed by the space-age invention of 'the whip' to complain much.

You don't earn enough

1. profile image60

I'll just feed them scraps from the garbage. They're Biritish, they'll think it's fine cuisine!

1. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've visited America and tasted American food, the garbage probably tastes better, it couldn't taste any worse.

1. profile image60

Hold on now. To be fair, did you chew with both of your teeth?

I sucked it, so what?

1. profile image60

Well, if you suck anything it's going to suck innit?

Wait a minute..................

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83

Ha! Most of our food recipes come from Europe. Good job insulting yourself!

But it's what you do with them lol

1. profile image60

We improve them and feed them to your betters.

2. superwags profile image80

Oh my god. An american is lecturing another nationality on cuisine. From a nation that invented cheese in a can, the breakfast pizza and the corndog!

lol lol lol

2. profile image60

Absolutely. All of the finest cuisine of the world comes to the US just as all of the finest of humanity comes to the US.  That's how we roll.

Really! I had a most disappointing Indian meal in the US, it was a posh place too!

Finest of humanity, why then the highest prison population in the Western world?

1. profile image60

Yes, well, "posh" to a British person is a relative measure, isn't it?

Like me? What do you know about me beyond that I disagree with most of what you write?

2. profile image60

"Finest of humanity, why then the highest prison population in the Western world?"

Is logic another topic they don't teach over on that molding island?

Yes, unlike on that festering lump of land that you exist on.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image83

NOT A BAD MEAL AT A SINGLE RESTAURANT!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

... Good job on discriminating against an entire culture based on one experience.

Next time you argue against racism, shut up.

Ach, don't get your knickers in a twist, I'm only winding him up.

2. John Holden profile image60

And we don't have to rely on importing the finest cuisine or the finest of humanity!

1. profile image60

Which explains why you are the mecca of boiled, inedible horrors.

We were once, I'll admit. Or so my father told me.

3. superwags profile image80

It's one of the great shames of the modern world that it is so difficult to find a michelin-starred restaurant that doesn't just do american cuisine.

Such a dearth of French, Italian and Japanese michelin places....

1. profile image60

Not a "shame," just reality.

2. The Quiz Master profile image69

When gas hits $4 a gallon?
      We are paying $8 a gallon in Europe!

And what's the problem with ShortStory? What have you got against the British?

We have some of the finest chefs in the world.

What is American Cuisine anyway? Ribs, Hamburgers and Corn dogs?

I pricked his bubble by showing him that Americans weren't the greatest inventors in the world smile

1. The Quiz Master profile image69

Nice one John.

2. profile image60

American cuisine, like so much of America, is the best from all over the world.

And I don't begrudge  some has-been nations their nostalgia as long as they don't make a nuisance of themselves about it while we create the future.

American Cuisine?
          What a joke, you don't have one!
          The Hamburger came from Hamburg in Germany and everything else came from England, just like your ancestors.
          If you don't beleive me then follow this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of … ted_States
          I tried finding something typically American on the internet and couldn't do it. Your mid western breakfast is an English Breakfast. Bread pudding is English. Corned beef origionated in England. Deviled Eggs are European, French. And everything else you eat is either Mexican or European or Eastern cuisine.
          Don't tell me that English food is boiled indelible horrors when your thanksgiving meal is an English Sunday Roast!
          Also, you say that we have the highest prison population? Get your facts right: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/law/researc … eventh.pdf
          The United States has half of all the worlds prison population! The United States is number 1 in the world! England is number 83
          America is number 4 for the highest gun murder rate in the world and you are 6 times more likely to be mudered in the U.S.A than you are in England.
          No wonder your Hub Score is 24!

1. profile image60

"American Cuisine?
            What a joke, you don't have one!"

Of course we do; the finest in the world.

Ah yes, that great American invention, the yorkshire pudding, the sausage, the hamburger, fried eggs, chips, roast beef, . . .

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
                Jim Hunterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

BBQ,fried chicken,chicken fried steak, and hotdogs.

Good for you for adding to my list of non American foods Jim.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60

Is chicken fried steak a delicacy from the UK?

BBQ?

Fried Chicken?

I would be interested in the history of these.

2. profile image60

Does my 'hub score' have something to do with American cuisine, or are you just grasping for something to be bitter about?

Tell me one American meal that doesn't come from another country.

You haven't produced one hub in 4 months or ever for that matter.

I had a look at your profile. All you do is slag off other hard working hubbers, you should be ashamed.

1. profile image60

How is the number of hubs related to this discussion? Just lashing out blindly?

And as I've said before, American cuisine, like so many things American, is the best of all the world. That's why it is superior to anywhere else.

Just lashing out blindly? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, that's ALL you do!

There is NO American Cuisine, it's just a rip off of everyone elses.

You could fill a book shelf with origional English recipes and we also enjoy cuisine from all over the world.
                  To say your food is superior to anywhere else when it is food from everywhere else doesn't make sense.

Now answer my question, name one traditional American dish that didn't come from another culture.

I'm not sure you've considered the deep-pan breakfast pizza with extra cheese from a tube smeared over the top after cooking?

2. profile image60

"Just lashing out blindly? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, that's ALL you do!"

Not at all. I'm responding to your comments. I don't even care how many hubs you have. Your opinion is no less valid than that of someone with a higher 'hubscore.' See how that works?

3. profile image60

"There is NO American Cuisine, it's just a rip off of everyone elses.

Now answer my question, name one traditional American dish that didn't come from another culture."

I trust you don't need me to answer this question AGAIN, right?

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

"Tell me one American meal that doesn't come from another country."

They may all come from other countries.

But Americans perfected it.

Americans changed the recipes yes, NOT perfected them, you can't perfect something that was perfect in the first place.

And fried chicken came from the Scottish, the American version is African, so no you can't say Fried Chicken.

The BBQ came from the native American Indians.

1. profile image60

Of course we've perfected them, the same way we've done with the people who come here from all over the world.

It's what we do.

2. superwags profile image80

You just cannot be arguing that American food is the best in the world? I mean, I'm all for patriotism and all but come on!

1. profile image60

There is no argument. It is clearly and by far the best in the world, as explained above.

17. Ralph Deeds profile image69
    Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago

A simple way to improve fuel economy and reduce CO2 emissions from motor vehicles would be to use the laws of physics and apply a weight tax to non-commercial cars, SUVs and trucks. This would cause people to stop driving heavy cars to the grocery store and PTA meetings. The tax could be tapered in over several years in order to give car owners and manufacturers time to adjust. A weight tax might be more palatable politically than increasing the gasoline tax to levels comparable to Europe.

Anyone who wanted to buy a Hummer, heavy pickup truck, Cadillac Escalade, or Chevy Suburban would be free to do so, but they would be required to pay for the "externality" costs of doing so. The manufacturers would remain free to develop vehicle technology however they thought best to serve the market without government fuel economy regulations and loopholes.

1. profile image60

Punish people for going to work (yes, often work that requires a larger vehicle) getting to work (a fair bit of the US deals with a heavy winter each year), and keeping an important segement of national industry afloat.

liberals have just the best(!) ideas.

Another spurious and illogical argument!
        The best performing vehicle I've had for bad weather was a small car of 1200 cc engine capacity.
        How many office workers need a large vehicle to drive to work?

1. profile image60

You DON'T know the answer to that quesiton, do you? DO YOU?

Another illogical answer.
            I asked the question, it was up to you or somebody else to supply the answer or I wouldn't have bothered to ask it, would I!

1. profile image60

Ok, exactly  how many office workers need a large vehicle to drive to work or to do part of their work? How many workers in each country are "office workers"? What is the exact definition of that?

Answers, please. Hurry up.

I asked the question, you are allowed to say that you have no idea.

1. profile image60

The answer is that there is no one answer to apply to everyone so the government and illogical busy-bodies should keep their noses out of individuals' choices of transportation.

And my logical friend wtf has that to do with inventions?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image69
        Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In my neighborhood I see a lot of people riding around in huge SUVs and other heavy vehicles, one person in each one burning a lot of gasoline for no good reason other than big SUVs are in fashion among their friends. If you agree that reducing our dependence on oil from the Middle East and reducing CO2 emissions are worthwhile goals, applying a weight tax would be a simple way to reduce unnecessary fossil fuel consumption. If you aren't worried about climate change and dependence on Lybian oil, then there's no reason to worry about gas mileage.

1. profile image60

Your neighbors should not be allowed to drive the kind of car they want or need without your approval? Do you know each neighbor's situation enough to decide for them what kind of car they 'need'? Are they not allowed to travel alone without your permission? Do all your neighbors work in the same place and keep the same schedule? Have you enlisted their children to inform on them if they exceed the fuel allowance determined by your collective? Maybe it's time they were sent down to the reeducation camp.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69

Can you read? I said everyone, including my neighbors, should be able to drive whatever kind of vehicle they wish provided they pay something toward the cost of the pollution and wasted gasoline they are creating. I also said that car design and production should be left up to the manufacturers.

Yes he does read, but just converts everything that might make too much sense for him into his natural language, gibberish!

He/she may be a sock puppet/alter ego of one of the Tea Baggers. No hubs, losts of forum posts.

Hm, yes, in fact I reckon he's a sock puppet's sock puppet!

3. Ralph Deeds profile image69

I didn't suggest taxing heavy vehicles that are used for commercial purposes, including contractors, farmers, etc. People don't need to drive Chevy Suburbans to work or to the grocery store or PTA meeting. There are much smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles available. And I wouldn't prohibit anyone from buying and driving whatever kind of car they wished. I'm merely suggesting that they pay for their pollution and unnecessary use of foreign oil.

1. profile image60

Who are you to decide what car people "need" to drive to the grocery store or PTA meeting?

Just one old guy with an opinion. I don't claim to that "I'm the decider." I'll leave that to W.

1. profile image60

Well then, who is the decider in this matter?

The NRA and its frightened little puppets in Congress are the deciders in this case. The fact that a majority of Americans support more effective gun control is apparently irrelevant.

18. Iontach profile image88
    Iontachposted 6 years ago

Find a new energy source or develop new energy producing technologies that will be worthwhile.

1. profile image60

OR, make full use of the energy sources we already possess in vast, vast quantity.

19. Bizziebee profile image74
    Bizziebeeposted 6 years ago

Yes, I do hope we break the chains of oil-reliant machines!

20. Evan G Rogers profile image83
    Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago

I'm going to have to go with: "This is a non-issue".

I willingly hand my money to oil companies. They make my car move, they make the plastics that make so much of my life convenient.

Sorry if "FOREIGN BASTARDS" control much of the oil, but "Freeing ourselves from foreign oil" is just a masked way of saying "I'm a racist".

21. profile image71
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

I was just notified that I won 750000 euros in the Swiss lotto so I can afford all the gas I want.  Just as soon as I send them some money for paperwork and all my personal info! smile

I have a similar offer from a Nigerian General looking to deposit some money in my account. I'm just forwarding on my details now, then I'm off to buy a Hummer and travel around at 5 MPG.

22. I am DB Cooper profile image70
    I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago

The solution is to decrease U.S. demand for oil. There are many different ways we can do this. Improving fuel efficiency in vehicles is the first step. That doesn't just mean hybrid and plug-in electric cars. Improving fuel efficiency on heavy vehicles like trucks and SUVs is also critical.

I think we're already seeing this, as it's getting harder to find SUVs that only get 10 mpg anymore. My friend's 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee was getting 8 mpg average when he finally got rid of it. His 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a much more powerful Hemi engine and gets better than 16 mpg average. With the same amount of driving, his new Jeep uses half the fuel of his old one. That's where the major change is going to come from, because not everyone wants to drive around tiny little cars. The biggest percentage change in fuel usage is going to be from truck and SUV drivers buying those same types of vehicles with more efficient engines.

Major changes to the power grid are also needed. I'd like to see this country start building nuclear power plants again. The technology seems scary, but it's actually very safe and clean compared to oil or coal. The nuclear fuel being used by advanced plants in other parts of the world is not susceptible to terrorist attacks. The newer nuclear technology also allows nuclear plants to be much smaller than those behemoths we saw in the 1970's. They are small enough to be built just about anywhere, which would decrease the loss of energy in transmission.

Of course, I do support efforts to produce more green energy. Wind and solar power should be part of the equation, including on the consumer level. We need to cut back on regulations that make it hard for people to put solar panels on their roof because it might disturb the aesthetic of the neighborhood.

By combining all of these things, we should decrease our demand for fossil fuels, both foreign and domestic. The way I see it, there's no reason why we should even think of fossil fuels as being foreign and domestic, because most are owned by private companies who sell it on the world market. Increased drilling on American soil just increases world supply and doesn't really do anything significant to our "dependence" on foreign oil.

23. knolyourself profile image61

Anybody ever hear of the Air-car made in Spain. It runs on compressed air a tank of which gets about a hundred miles and can be used in conjunction with electric or gas powered engines. Not necessarily any kind of solution, only saying it is on the market, but nobody in America will ever hear of it.

I read about it at the time but my understanding was that it was effectively battery powered, it just used air for very slow city driving. Anyway, I've heard no more about it.

My local car plant has the first production of the new LEAFs (fully electric cars)going on now. They get the equivalent of 99mpg and have a range of around 80 miles. My city has power points installed in all public carparks now too so it's not too far away.

24. knolyourself profile image61

Well why not cooking oil then.

25. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 6 years ago

Golly!
    I'm slow!
    I never imagined that the world's addiction to oil could be solved, subjectively, by an interest in "cuisine!"
    How in the world could I have missed that pragmatic solution!
    I'm so ashamed!   :-)
    Qwark

26. Hugh Williamson profile image87
    Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago

Most new IC engine designs try to solve the energy problem using radically new concepts, which don't pan out. I think the Revetec design shows promise b/c it simplifies and lightens the gas/diesel engines that we're used to. It eliminates the crankshaft and cuts the weight of the engine in half. It has fewer parts making it easier to manufacture and repair. It also shows promise for lower emissions and better fuel efficiency.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4751939_f248.jpg

Prototypes have performed well and the design has been licensed to 2 Chinese mfgr's and one in Turkey. A German company is negotiating with Revetec also. The concept may go bust but it looks promising right now.
    It's not a solution to the oil issue but it may help.

http://www.revetec.com/home.html

working