jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Is a Slave Really A Slave When

1. jtyler profile image60
    jtylerposted 5 years ago

Is a slave really a slave when he doesn't know that he's been enslaved?

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. Shadesbreath profile image90
      Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It depends on who is assessing it.

All of us, on the outside, will look into the situation and define slavery for the "victim" based on our understanding of morality, social norms, religion etc.

However, the "slave," if he/she is content in his/her life, has no reason to apply terms of misery and opression to his/her circumstance. "Slave" is subjective. And, while I know a lot of you will be instantly incensed by that, I ask you to throw off the easy-answer crap you were spoon fed in school and THINK about real human experience.

You were raised a certain way by your parents. Some other parents will condemn how you were raised. Were you "deprived?"

Some union leaders will decry what you get paid is an outrage. You might think it's fine in this economy. Some starving guy in a poor country might curse you for a blind American a-hole who doesn't recognize how amazing your life is. So, are you a slave, a sell out, or an elitist a-hole?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

3. Ddraigcoch profile image83
    Ddraigcochposted 5 years ago

Yes, if your freedom and free will has been removed .

4. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

5. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 5 years ago

Slave is always slave, even when they are freed. Very few manage to escape the mentality...

6. 0
    Ghost32posted 5 years ago

The question is definitely one for the ages.  Reminds me of the opening to a song I wrote some years back.  Please note that the reference to "master" means "master of myself" in this context, while "slave" can be "slave to ANYONE or ANYTHING":

A man must be either master or slave
    And I don't quite know which one I rate
    But I don't think the chains are made
    That can hold me tight
    The cheaper ones I can easily bust
    I can outlast iron till it turns to rust
    And I'll leave the golden sort
    Way behind....

7. 60
    ShortStoryposted 5 years ago

The real question is: when is a door not a door?

8. Midianite profile image60
    Midianiteposted 5 years ago

I said the same question the other day  "For how does one know if he is imprisoned if he cannot see his captor's bars?" 

--- also, how do you create a question on hubpages?