jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

A Million Woman March in Cairo

1. AnnCee profile image77
    AnnCeeposted 6 years ago

So sad.  Very few dared to come and they were outnumbered by the men who'd come to grope and fondle them send them home.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/142806

One young woman interviewed by CNN was obviously Western educated.  She looked so deeply saddened.  Those women are in such a deep dark hole, how will they ever get out?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

they (the women) will know what is best for them in due time and they will work towards it.

AnnCeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

They don't belong to themselves.

it is their culture, I may not agree with some parts/aspects of it, but I can't tell them what is wrong or right based on what my values are. In due time, they can and will do it themselves. People are born to be free and with cultural influences around the globe, somehow things will change for them.

1. profile image59
            ShortStoryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Why can't you tell them what is wrong or right based on your values?

AnnCeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Because it's not politically correct to  have negative opinions about anyone but Christians, Jews and the American middle class.

Oh, and Conservatives of course.

Am not gearing towards that. In my opinion, I just think that it is not proper to impose your values to other people just because you think theirs is wrong. What they are doing to their women and children are disgusting, because it is not what we have been accustomed to, but still we should let them change things on their own.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63

they were socialized and grew up like that, then they will get fed up with it and they will set themselves free on their own

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Thank you for raising this topic, AnnCee. I saw that CNN interview as well.
    It's very common for Middle Eastern women to be highly educated abroad. I remember two sisters from Iraq (among many, many others) who attended college with me. They were so vivacious and full of life. I can't imagine them going home to a country that wouldn't allow them to drive a car!! But women do!

I am not a student of revolutionary history. However, an observation is that freedom comes (read: must be fought for and won) in waves. The Egyptian people are in a period of political flux. I can only imagine that creates fear and uncertainty. Men being men (and you know what I mean), they can only handle so much tumult at a time.
    And, the women are fighting against many, many centuries of total male domination.

If we use the US as a parallel, revolution against Britain 1770s.
    Women achieve right to vote 1920.
    ERA introduced 1923
    ERA passed by Congress 1972

Not very encouraging, is it?
    Plus, Egypt is 94% Muslim. That's an overwhelming obstacle.

What can these women do? Well, I would love it if they could seek political asylum here. Good thing I'm not in a position to make immigration policy, eh?

3. lovemychris profile image78
    lovemychrisposted 6 years ago

It's sad for our own country too, where rights that women fought, died, and went to jail for are being eroded as we speak.

4. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 6 years ago

They're filthy animals! Women in the middle east are 2nd class citizens!

1. Castlepaloma profile image27
      Castlepalomaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Those men should be sent to American jails and get raped there.
      Isn’t Religion wonderful?

5. ngureco profile image86
    ngurecoposted 6 years ago

They are in a very ‘deep dark hole,’ even though the first civilization may have started in Egypt.

Theirs is a different culture from your culture.

Currently, almost a million Egyptian households have access to internet and it’s just a matter of time before that 'rigid culture' is positively influenced to get these women to fight for their rights.

6. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Very true that access to information about other cultures can only help move Egypt in a positive direction.
    A lot will depend on what kind of government Egypt adopts.

7. AnnCee profile image77
    AnnCeeposted 6 years ago

The "Islamists" as the Islamofascists are now being called are rising like scum to the top of the heap in Egypt.  I don't think there's much hope that the light of reason will prevail there.

working