jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Gay/Lesbian in the military

1. Novel Treasure profile image85
    Novel Treasureposted 5 years ago

What does being Gay/Lesbian have to do with a person's ability to fight for their country? Do they not have the same right to fight for the freedoms we all hold so dear?

Is there some study out there that shows homosexuals to be substandard soliders? Can they not make strategically sound decisions in combat? Is their aim any less accurate?

Or is it simply so homo-phobic commander-in-chief is worried that a gay soldier will be more focused on "checking" him out than on surveying the are for any "threat". If heterosexual men and women can fight together, train together, be in a unit and  a mission together, than I don't see the validity of not allowing homosexuals to fight along side heterosexuals. 

This post is not to discuss whether Homosexuality is right or wrong, so please don't take it there. It is simply a question of what makes a homosexual any less of a soldier, any less of an American. If they are willing to fight for our freedoms, die for our freedoms, why not let them?

1. Dave Mathews profile image59
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Novel Treasure: I fully agree with you. I see no reason why or how a person's sexual orientation has anything to do with defending one's country. The bullet from a rifle does not descriminate against what it kills. A bomb dropped or a missile fired from some plane 40,000 ft. in the sky doesn't care what damage it does or who it kills.

2. Jed Fisher profile image88
      Jed Fisherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'd like to think it's a complicated social issue, but really it's about the greed and sense of entitlement felt by spoiled rich brats. The progeny of bazillionaires want  to claim their inheritance, but according to stipulations in the will, usually they must first complete one honorable term of military servic and/or get married. To circumvent the intent of the Last Will and Testament of their deceased benefactors, these trust-fund heirs and heiresses raise holy hell to get the laws changed, not the least bit concerned about the effect it has on society at large.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image84
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

If they want to kill themselves for a false god, go right ahead.