jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

New polling results. Who do Americans trust re: budget???

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Hint: The findings may surprise you if you think Americans really favor a no-negotiation, no compromise, "Read my lips" (Boehner channeling Bush Sr)cuts-only approach to the budget!

Selected excerpts from
    1. CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll. March 11-13, 2011. N=1,023 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.
    2. ABC News/Washington Post Poll. March 10-13, 2011. N=1,005 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.5.

"Who do you trust to do a better job handling the economy: Obama or the Republicans in Congress?"
    Obama 46%
    Republicans in Congress 34%

"Who do you trust to do a better job handling the federal budget deficit: Obama or the Republicans in Congress?"
    Obama 45%
    Republicans in Congress 36%

"Who do you think better understands the economic problems people in this country are having: Obama or the Republicans in Congress?"
    Obama 47%
    Republicans in Congress 35%

"Do you think large cuts in federal spending would do more to create jobs or do more to cut jobs in this country?"
    Create jobs 41%
    Cut jobs  45%

"Has Obama been too willing or not willing enough to compromise with the leadership of the Republican Party on the budget deficit?"
    Too willing 30%
    Not willing enough 52%
    About right 10%

"Has the leadership of the Republican Party been too willing or not willing enough to compromise with Obama on the budget deficit?"
    Too willing 16%
    Not willing enough 71%
    About right 5%

http://www.pollingreport.com/budget.htm

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
      Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The most interesting statistic was how heavily independents are opposed to an extended shutdown of the federal government.

2. weholdthesetruths profile image61
      weholdthesetruthsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That had to be taken a convention of democrats. 

Trust Obama?   Who would be that stupid?

1. lovemychris profile image81
        lovemychrisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Apparently, the stupid ones were those who couldn't see through the Republicans selling points to get elected....thinking they were any different than they always, always are. They're not.
        They are always the same: Profits over people. When they're in charge, people suffer.

btw--2010 saw a great improvement in the foreclosure situation. Obama's policies ARE working. We need to strengthen and improve them, not get rid of them!!!

3. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't put much confidence in that poll which was taken by telephone both land line and cell of 1005 random adults, NOT " likely voters". I say SHUT IT DOWN! I'm sick of the republicans compromising! The house passed the CR yesterday almost insuring Obamacare will be funded by the 100 billion dollar stealth slush fund buried in the law! I'm extremely disappointed with the republican leadership for that!

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
        Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have to admit I am laughing. Democrats passed and funded health care, which makes good sense. The teabaggers expected to sabotage a law they can't repeal by shutting off funds. But they can't because the health care law IS ALREADY FUNDED!?

And the GOP didn't read the bill, so they never saw how they were flanked.

Too funny!

1. lady_love158 profile image60
          lady_love158posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Everything about that bill is devious! Nothing is as it seems... all the fear mongering the republicans were accused of are coming to pass including a single payer system!

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/03/15/c … alth-care/

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Neither side can be trusted anymore. lol lol

3. Mighty Mom profile image90

Everyone seems to see a shutdown as a really, really bad idea. And if it does happen, they see Republicans as responsible.

True, there are some questions that favor Republicans (but not by much -- pretty evenly split, even on those). The main thing I took from these polls is that although Americans "overwhelmingly" voted in Republicans to Congress just last November, already they are losing confidence in GOP ability to handle budget related issues.
    Are Americans really this fickle? I guess they are! sad

4. Mighty Mom profile image90

What do you mean "anymore"?
    Was there ever a time government was trustworthy????

5. Evan G Rogers profile image81
    Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago

RON PAUL!!! that's who I trust with the budget!

Never once voted to raise taxes! He regularly talks about reducing the military budget!!

Sounds like a good man to me!

working