jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

So much for nuclear safety...

1. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago

I will never understand the short sightedness of human beings...

1. diogenes profile image83
      diogenesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree, Sophia...Homo sapiens, "man who thinks," flatters us.  I can honestly see mankind become extinct over nuclear accidents if we aren't more prudent in the future.  There's nearly 500 of them around the world and more being built.  The lobby to get them approved and built is very rich and strong and moves administrations to grant permission.
      I am heartily sick of the British Prime Minister, David Cameron.  I thought we had at last elected a bureaucrat with brains, but it seems we have another war-minded brainless hawk.  He has gone on record recently as dismissing the disaster in Japan and said it won't affect our own nuclear plans.  Believe me, is anyone can screw up, the Brits can and willl.   Bob

1. recommend1 profile image71
        recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Brits have already screwed up at both Dungeness and especially at Seallafield where contamination of the sea is widespread and kept very hush hush.  The Sellafield discharge point that was continually leaking radioactive content into the sea was blocked by Greenpeace many years ago now but the incident did not make significant news waves through the simple method of the government and Sellafield just saying nothing pretty much.  Without food the news stopped following it very quickly.

This is the situation with most of the older nuclear sites in the world I expect from my experience of being peripherally involved in them and seeing how they operate both mechanically and politically.

1. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Do you remember at the time of Chernobyl the fallout was magically attracted to Sellafield and Dungeness!

2. lady_love158 profile image59
      lady_love158posted 5 years ago in reply to this
  2. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago

@ diogenes and recommend1. A friend called me the other day to say he had no idea how dangerous facilities were. I think the vast masses have been kept in so much ignorance that there is no outcry against it.

I truly do not see human kind lasting longer than another century because we'll wipe ourselves off the face of the earth. And we'll probably take a good few other species with us.