Laws: Alcohol vs Cannabis

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 12 years ago

Marijuana user is sentence far worse than the crime and they learn a worst crime trade in prison. Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world where Alcohol and products containing alcohol are strictly prohibited by law. About 44% of people have tried Cannabis at least once. The Worldwide Governments against cannabis, like a paranoia cold world war on the public, if not the addiction to oil wars is not too expensive enough.   

Cannabis is 100% illegal in every country in the world and a death penalty in a couple of countries. The only way to kill a lad rat is the drop 25 pound of cannabis from a 10 story building on him. The cannabis sentiments foremost factor is to relax. Mean wail the rich drug cartels dominate drug push the illegal drugs, both lace with toxic, addictive and high profits.  There are hundred thousand deaths of alcohol overdose USA deaths each year, yet there has never been a marijuana overdose death in history.  Alcohol, tobacco kills more people than all other drugs combined.

NO Marijuana companies lobby the Government congress and give bribes and kick backs. It's, no wonder why authorities kill more people, than criminal do. A greater danger is America who has 4% of the World’s population carries 26% of the world’s  prison. I rather my Child abuse Cannabis rather than Alcohol as far as health goes.

Your thoughts?                                 

Your thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, alcohol is legal within certain guidelines.
      Tobacco, while bad for the health, doesn't cause hallucinations, etc., so it should be left up to individual choice.
      Marijuana DOES mess with people's heads and reaction time, and ingestion of it isn't as obvious as is alcohol, to a police officer, etc......

You may have a point on some of this, but......I think we should also consider that the effects of marijuana stays in a person's system longer than even alcohol, doesn't it?

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And, that's why the Federal and State governments have concluded that the only success campaign to get rid of Tobacco, is through heavy taxation upon those who use it. Sounds like discrimination to me.
        I would agree with the latter part about the ingestion isn't obvious, but that is also dependent on how much is actually ingested. However, the first part- "mess with people's heads and reaction time"? This is based on individuals. Not all are or have those problems. As for your other statement with regards of hallucinations? Cannabis doesn't actually do that to people. The stronger drugs do, but not Cannabis.
        Alcohol's effects are limited to certain other factors. The Cannabis someone smokes and how long it is in their system, is completely dependent on how much they smoke and how often they smoke how much they smoke. smile

Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil your statement made me think some more

And, that's why the Federal and State governments have concluded that the only success campaign to get rid of Tobacco, is through heavy taxation upon those who use it. Sounds like discrimination to me.

I added to it

Federal and State governments have concluded that the only success campaign to get rid of Tobacco is through heavy taxation upon those who use it. I’m sure pot and gays being less harmful than tobacco would rather be taxed than being illegal, sounds like discrimination to me. Lifetime use of marijuana is rarely associated with emergency room visits. There are a dozens of names for cannabis; there are only two names for American political parties to choose from.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

Brenda Durham

I agree with Cagsil about hallucination, I know of a man who was the first medical marijuana patients in Canada and today he takes 40 grams of pot a day. He said nobody has hallucination on home grown pot, only some odd pot laced with some other drugs sold on the streets could cause hallucination effect.

Reefer madness science in 1937 would say this…
        Marijuana is the public enemy number one, its first effect is sudden, violent and uncontrollable laughter, and they become dangerous hallucination. Other effects are inability to direct thoughts ending in incurable insanity.

3. profile image0
        Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Effects of pot may vary...but NONE are hallucinations. Period.

Reefer madness? Are you kidding me? You are actually citing that? Wait...you are joking. It has to be. Nobody would actually quote that as a reference.

In school they played reefer madness films in health class. We would  watch people take just one toke , then they would do things like run around clucking like a chicken then crash through a window to their dearth. O r women would undress and run into a lake screaming and singing

Us Kids would look at each other and say,  where can I buy that sh++.

1. earnestshub profile image83
            earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the latest bulldust from the anti marijuana set shows a picture of a brain after the effect of marijuana. It was exposed as a hoax. smile

2. DTR0005 profile image60
          DTR0005posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is defined as a hallucinigen. No, you don't typically have visual hallucinations, but that's how they define it.

2. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 12 years ago

Many years ago I worked in the building trade. I employed a gang of Rasta plasterers who at the start of the days work would always toke up. The joints were so strong that even though I smoked myself at the time, I couldn't stay in the same room.
    After their morning smoke they would get down to work and blitz the job.
    They were the hardest working gang I ever employed.

Funny how some people can work hard on it and other like me, can't.

I do have a good time on pot some times,  if little is planed for the day.

1. profile image0

Okay, so y'all say it doesn't cause hallucinations.  (Actually, I don't think I said it did, either.  I compared it to alcohol, which CAN cause hallucinations....am I correct on that?)

Anyway, so.....you do admit that it (cannabis) slows reaction time and reflexes?  Yes or no?

1. Cagsil profile image71

Alcohol does not induce hallucinations either, but it does highly distort vision. wink

2. DTR0005 profile image60

I think it is classified as a hallucinigen because of the time dilation effects, heightened sensory perception, etc. I don't think marijuana is a harmless drug - certainly not as harmless as its proponents make it out to be. I have seen two generations of one family utterly destroyed by it, And I have seen more than a few friends end up on the high side of 40 with no career, no life, no nothing.

3. Castlepaloma profile image76

That depend on the person, for me it dose a little mentally. For Olympic Champion Michael Phelps, who vaulted to international stardom during the 2008 Summer Olympic , not so much.

Alcohol relates to half of traffic death relate to alcohol, pot smoking driver, drive much better than that.

1. DTR0005 profile image60

Vous etes d'origine Quebecois peut-etre?

4. profile image0

Yep, I think it does....not much, but it does. It doesn't effect you to a point that you can't drive, but most people using do everything on the planet to avoid getting into a car...but you would definitely score less on Trivial Pursuit if there were a time limit.

5. Moonchild60 profile image75
          Moonchild60posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cannabis does slow reaction time in most not all.  I did a great deal of research on this, in my HUB, "The Truth About Marijuana".   And why it is illegal in the first place. I know people that are hyperfocused on pot. Also we must consider there is pot that will make you tired and pot that will not.  Some smokers refer to it as "Daytime Pot" and "Nightime Pot".  Pot never killed anyone.  Alcohol has.  So has cigarettes . I think the death factor alone is enough to prove which is worse.

It’s the cannabis indica strain is the nighttime downers and Sativa strain is the daytime uppers. There are 3 cannabis seed stores, eight medicinal cannabis outlets in Vancouver and about 6 smoking lounges. Vancouver is the only ones in North America that have smoke venues and it is allowed with a blind eye. Tons of places show you how to smoke it and grow it, but no weed for sale. It's a pot haven because pot can be  hidden in many places. I just started a cannabis newspaper called BudTimes to sell my indoor mix gardens and I like to keep my head clear.

Giving kids ridiculous example like Reefer Madness, only excites their curiosity. Pot did not slow down Olympic Champion Michael Phelps. I was once a great swimmer too, did not love swimming as much as Phelps, Pot did not help me do those few extra laps needed for the Olympic also injuries are at a high level in this sport.

3. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years ago

Okay.
    So what's the good things about legalizing marijuana, if any?
    I wonder if we'd just become comfortably numb and start lolling around in bed like John and Yoko, or take to the streets hollerin' for free love and "peace" again before we start experimenting with the harder drugs and end up like Michael Jackson.....

(by "we" I mean society as a whole, if marijuana were to be legalized).

1. DTR0005 profile image60

I don't think there is anything good about legalizing it though doing so might kill some of the violence associated with the illegal drug trade. That's a hard one. Studies in Europe, specifically Holland, tend to indicate that legalization doesn't act as a gateway to other drugs. I am not so sure...

Maybe one in a hundred pot smokers lead to harder drugs. Over doing anything can unbalance your centre of importance in life. Holland most legal like nations, tests showed only 20 % of students take pot. In Canada pot is much more illegal and 38% of students take pot. Canada per capita is number cannabis user nation in the World. So it’s unstoppable and they lost the war a long time ago.

Alcohol, tobacco kills more people than all other drugs combined. Yet tobacco is 100% legal worldwide. Why not make cigarette illegal,? why make homosexual  illegal in 76 countries and a death in seven.  I sure pot, gays and atheists are less harmful than tobacco or alcohol

1. profile image0

That's debatable.  Very debatable.
          Which, however, brings up the most relevant point on the subject of cannabis-----the effect of lowering one's moral inhibitions.
          Need I say more?   Nope.

Not too much of anything, yet a little bit of pot, gayness, atheists and a touch of Jesus all can help our ethics inhibition.

Being too one sided, ends up fighting most everything with double morals.

2. Cagsil profile image71

It's not moral inhibitions. Those who know how to use what they use, understand the responsibility of using. I've known quite a few, over the course of my life, who smoked and I didn't.

Yes, smoking opens the mind to more possibilities, which would tempt inhibitions, but it still boils down to choice.

The way they handled themselves was great. A guy I know, was an excellent artist of characters/creatures and could draw almost anything, regardless of whether or not, he was high.

He could do a wide arrangement of things, like drive, walk, bicycle, talk and even chew while doing most of them.

People can function on drugs and those who cannot, fail to be responsible to themselves. The ones who cannot, are the ones doing the damage. Those who do function, are not found out or recognized. wink

2. profile image0

What would the good be? Hemp is outlawed, and was the largest cash crop in history...beyond tobacco, cotton, all of it...until the middle of the last century. The Declaration of Independence is written on it. It was the staple that built our country, and to a great extent...the western world, so the textile use of hemp, along with the oil is viably substantial. As for the smoking of it, eating, etc...much calmer, more deliberate and introspective people...a significant financial hit to the pharmaceutical industry, and better results for depressed people, cancer patients, people with stomach issues, etc.
      The only reason pot is considered a "gateway" drug is this: you are constantly told how bad drugs are while growing up. It is hammered into you. Then, you try pot...you realize they were lying, and then try other things because you now do not trust the rhetoric...THEN, you try something that actually IS bad, like coke...and down the rabbit hole they go. If we were honest, and said pot isn't equal to things like acid or coke...actually acknowledged it benefits, then I doubt it would gateway into anything other than cheetos.

Your right about 25,000 products can be made from hemp.

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol hi there.

1. profile image0

Howdy  cool

big_smile

2. Moonchild60 profile image75
        Moonchild60posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know Right Kimberlyslyrics?  Sounds good to me too!!

4. earnestshub profile image83
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Margolis in his excellent guide to drugs describes alcohol as a fifth rate depressant. smile

5. aware profile image68
    awareposted 12 years ago

Prohibition  didn't  work . The drug war  has only made things worse i think . not to mention that legal  drugs kill more  from over dose than all illicit ones combined. Hypocrisy is no way to solve this problem . I feel
    Ray

1. profile image0

I agree the amount of addiction and overdoses with legal drugs are far more deadly, especially to our children, Doctors are on the take as much as cops we can't forget.

6. Amber Mandala profile image60
    Amber Mandalaposted 12 years ago

Honestly, if most of us were aware of the great injustice of the drug companies, we would prefer medicinal marijuana  over many prescribed medications.
    Although, I'm sure that high blood pressure, diabetes, night sweats, nightmares, sleep walking, s**ts, erectile dysfunction, early menopause, heart attack, stroke, nervousness, paralysis, memory loss, kidney failure, cancer, liver failure, hair loss, loss of vision, thoughts of suicide, and/or death, and having to take some of these medications for the rest of your life because coming off of them would risk any of the mentioned above, may not effect "all of the general population", with some of these medications but........
    Oh well, as long as it's legal.
    Prednisone
    http://www.drugs.com/sfx/prednisone-side-effects.html
    My late husband was on this medication from Jan. 2002 until Jan. 2011 when he passed away. It caused permanent diabetes. He couldn't come off of it because of the more acute side effects as mentioned above. He's not alone.
    Ambien
    http://www.askdocweb.com/ambien.html No personal experience.
    antidepressants
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antidepressants
    click on any one of these to check out some of the side effects.
    Just to name a few.
    Not a user of marijuana myself but I have witnessed it do far more good than harm for medicinal purposes.

I thought you were too young for a husband, sorry to hear that.

It’s sad to treat people like they are criminals over pot, when each one of us are our own best doctors. Yet the Doctors do have interesting machines that go ping!! ping!!

1. Amber Mandala profile image60
        Amber Mandalaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

I think that the reason that pot isn't legal yet is because it's so readily available to the public. There is no money in it for the pharmaceutical companies.
        And of course,  the politically correct "good Samaritan" syndrome.
        sigh***

Imagine if anyone can grow their own pot or medicine, being green first rather than finance first. Imagine replacing many of the oil, lumber and etc… companies with smaller businesses. The 1% rich that manages most of all the earth’s wealth and the good land would freak.  We can always vote them out and with public opinion; our public opinion is the only other super power for hope.

1. Amber Mandala profile image60
            Amber Mandalaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! It is ultimately our choice. We are the majority.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)