jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Fund raising for political campaigns.. Can someone tell me why?

1. FaithDream profile image86
    FaithDreamposted 5 years ago

Where does that money go? I heard Obama is running for re-election in 2012 and is expected to run a billion dollar campaign.
    I'm just wondering where does that money go? I see a bigger need for those dollars elsewhere, this doesn't make sense to me. It's not just Obama, it is any campaign. They raise money for campaigning when we have bigger needs to address.. like unemployment, homeless, disaster recovery, etc.

2. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 5 years ago

Pamphlets, advertisments, billboards, the wages of those working on the campaign (writing speeches, etc).

3. BillyDRitchie profile image61
    BillyDRitchieposted 5 years ago

Well, the spending of stupid amounts of money for election purposes can't be stopped, but one thing that can be is for senators and congressmen who wish to run being forced to do so on their off time or take vacation days.

How many of us could fail to show up for work over half the time because we were pursuing our own ventures and still have a job to come back to, complete with great pay and tidy pension?  So why do we allow our elected officials to do it?

And this goes for both parties......GOP and Dems are both guilty of it......

1. dingdondingdon profile image60
      dingdondingdonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Completely agree. I'd be sacked if I were absent from work for a few months and when I showed up again all I had to say was, "Oh, sorry, I was doing my own thing".

4. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

The Romans had their 'bread and circuses'.
    The Americans have their 'bread and media politics'. " Bread and circuses became the method that the ruling class of ancient Rome used to maintain their power and control of the people."

5. FaithDream profile image86
    FaithDreamposted 5 years ago

So the rich get richer?? What happened to volunteers? Is that gone in campaigning? I'm not on a campaign trail but I did volunteer when I was a teenager and volunteering meant something then.

6. John Holden profile image59
    John Holdenposted 5 years ago

Put a cap on campaigning spending.

7. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

The media cleans up, makes fortunes broadcasting paid political ads.

8. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

Where does the money go?

Besides the TV Ads, pay for workers.....

"Supporters votes, [edit: certain supporters!]  lobbyists, Company/Group backings in elections, investigators to dig up dirt on opponent, etc..."

It is all parties, not just the one.

working