jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)

Fed Gov: Do You Agree With "Shut It Down!" ?

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

There are many negative consequences to shutting down the federal government, ranging from minor annoyances to pretty major trickle down effects on our economy.

The one that jumps out at me is no pay for our military.
    Say WHAT?

Apparently there was a budget cut number agreed to last night by both sides. At 4 am Speaker Reid received a text saying that agreement was no longer acceptable to the GOP caucus.

I saw a Tea Party representative interviewed on CNN this morning. Tea Partiers are overwhelmingly in favor of a government shutdown. When the CNN interviewer pointed out that a shutdown will actually COST money the Tea Partier basically said, "well, yeah, but..."

So what is this REALLY about?
    *shakes head* roll

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
      Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's about the Tea Party's destruction of the remnants of the former Republican Party. Not all Tea Baggers are on the same wave length, but their common denominator appears to be a determination to cut government expenses with little or no regard for the effects on the poor, on the environment, on retirees, on Medicare and Medicaid and worse of all on unemployment and the economy.

Many Tea Baggers also are defined by what they oppose--global warming deniers, anti-abortion, anti-family planning, anti-sex education in public schools (except for so-called abstinence training), anti-evolution, anti-separation of church and state, anti-Federal Reserve, anti-regulation, anti-immigrant, anti-tax, anti-affirmative action, anti-gay, anti-gun control and so forth.

Some Tea Baggers are virtually opposed to most of the legislation and Supreme Court decisions that have occurred since the Constitution and Bill of Rights were adopted 300 years ago.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image84
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The only negative consequences of shutting down the government will be that we begin to realize just how much our federal government does.

Then, hopefully, people will look at the constitution and see how much of those things are NOT permitted.

1. lovemychris profile image80
        lovemychrisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Like forcing women to give birth against their will, which is what this shut-down is all about.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image84
          Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There are plenty of ways for a woman to not have a child, and if they require ME writing them a check, then...

... what if I don't want to write it?

3. turgeo2004 profile image60
      turgeo2004posted 5 years ago in reply to this

the best thing to happen for the states and the people is for the Federal Government to shut down Permanently.

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
        Mighty Momposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Really? Seriously?
        What state do you live in?
        Cuz if that happens, I hope all the people who support that idea live in states that can absorb all the functions formerly provided by the feds.
        Oh yes -- and WITHOUT any federal funding for anything.
        That would be very interesting, indeed.

1. lovemychris profile image80
          lovemychrisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, maybe they can sign an agreement to rent the roads, the parks, the highways, the hospitals, schools....you know, all that stuff the federal gvt provides.

Oh, and let's make them do business like the banks: Charge HUGE interest fees!

2. Ralph Deeds profile image68
        Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Brilliant idea!

working