jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Who should be our next President?

1. hubby7 profile image79
    hubby7posted 8 years ago

After hearing Michelle Obama speak before the Democratic National Convention on Thursday night, I was forced to reconsider the question of who should before the next President of the United States--John McCain or Barack Obama? Answer: MICHELLE OBAMA. big_smile

2. 0
    pgrundyposted 8 years ago

Michelle Obama is awesome and she did a great job. It's about time she got the positive attention she deserves instead of being nit-picked to death by the media.

3. hubby7 profile image79
    hubby7posted 8 years ago

Hi pgrundy,

As the saying goes, "All is fair in love and war". Politics is like war. All the nit-picking, unfortunately, comes with the territory. It must be taken in stride and endured. And yes, I agree with you. Mitchell Obama did a stupenduous job!Thanks for your comment.

4. 0
    Zarm Nefilinposted 8 years ago

Who "should" be our next president?

I would answer by saying that whomever is elected with paper ballots should be our next president.

Basically we need to get back to paper ballots.

That being said I will vote for Obama, even if electronically, although I am doubtful that our election process is really democratic at this moment due to electronic voting which has been documented and demonstrated to be easy to hack.

5. hubby7 profile image79
    hubby7posted 8 years ago

Hi Zarm,

I appreciate your comment. However, the days of the paper ballot are fleeting. Hence forth, until some other technology comes along, balloting--doubtlessly--will continue to be done electronically. Besides, it reduces our need to cut down trees. In fact, I would argue the more we get away from using paper, the better it is for the environment. One last point: Sure, the digital balloting process will have it glitches like anything else that is still maturing, all we can hope for are programs that can better protect the process against hackers.

1. 0
      Zarm Nefilinposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Naive and uninformed as regards this issue, but you have a right to your opinion.

6. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 8 years ago

Electronic voting machines are owned by private for profit corporations where access to the internal programming is denied and recounts are often impossibe.
    Anybody who has ever followed the results from these machines knows that absolutely 98% of all errors favor the Republicans.

7. livelonger profile image90
    livelongerposted 8 years ago

I agree with Zarm. At least Diebold is (belatedly) admitting their ballot machines have problems:
    I seem to remember Ohio was/is a swing state (it went for Bush in '04), so this is an important issue.

I'm fine with paper, too, until they get the electronics sorted out. (My district in California uses paper ballots)