jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

zero tollerance or just zero common sence?

1. stclairjack profile image79
    stclairjackposted 5 years ago

you tell me,.... are zero tolerance pollicies just a bandage on the gaping wound left behind when we ripped common sence from the equation?

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Zero tolerance actions from government is just government demonstrating it's abusive power and control. There isn't a lick of common sense derived from government action. lol

3. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

Zero tolerance policies for bullies is ridiculous.
    They put the bully and the bullied in the same catagory.
    If you are bullied, and you fight back--you are suspended right along with the one who started the fight.
    Equally to blame.

Yes, there is no common sense.
    My grandson was bullied, and every single person I spoke to,about it...every one, said:"Tell your grandson to smack him a good one, he won't be bullied anymore."

Doesn't work that way.
    He is supposed to tell when it happens, but at the same time, has to have a witness.

Kid smacks him in the hall, no one sees? Oh well too bad.
    GS smacks him back, someone sees?

1. PrettyPanther profile image85
      PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have always taught my kids that just because something is a rule or even a law, it doesn't make it necessarily right.  I've even taught them that sometimes it is the right thing to break a rule or a law, but make sure you realize that when you do, you will suffer the consequences.

One of my boys fought back when he was physically attacked in middle school, and the other kid ended up with a split lip and bruised ego.  Both of them were suspended for the same amount of time.  You know what I told my son?  You did what was right, even if it was against the rules.  That kid left my son alone after that, too.

Anyway, that was my long way of saying that I think zero tolerance policies are the lazy way out for those who must keep the peace.  It takes time, patience, and sometimes courage to weigh each individual case rather than issue some blanket rule that is easier to enforce.