jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)

Here's why china owns us! A must see!

1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 5 years ago

1. TLMinut profile image61
      TLMinutposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Adorable little faces!
      Of course, our western kids do these things too but I can't say I see ours playing guitars so young.

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

They start 'em young over there...in every field of endeavor.
        They seem to understand that education begins at birth.
        If there's talent, they capitalize on it.
        1 and 1/2 billion people people who, it seems, have a purpose and are going for it!
        I was amazed at the talent displayed by these little kids.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image66
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

trainings for children are very rigid there! if you are good for example in gymnastic, they will train you rigidly. There is still some remnants of being a communist country in China. Giving honor to your family and the country is far most very important. See gymnastics as an Olympic sport, who always win? Russia, China, Romania et al. There is some remnants of that, they thrive in sports where there is rigid training.

Plus it goes with the parenting style, follow your parents, there is no leeway. Parents work hard so that the children can be educated and they can hire tutors even on weekends and after school. There is little free time for the things which are not directed towards learning, theoretical and extra curricular activities. Even when they go home from school, they still need to learn until they sleep. You should excel and learn that is what parents inculcate in them. Overload? I don't know. Maybe it works for them. Perhaps this is good in that kind of economy and culture wherein you should be well educated to even get a minimum job. Plus parents and aged people should be followed at all cost

At the very minimum, you should learn abacus, math and computer at pre school. Math is their priority. Plus of course they can hire foreign English teachers now in some private and state universities just so they can learn English. There is variation of these kind of culture among Asian children but to a different degree.

This is just my opinion growing up in Asia and have many Chinese family friends.

Of course here in the US, we have different culture, stereotypes of Oriental students who are geeky. I truly believe this is due to family pressures to excel no matter what. Independence, so little.

I choose in between, I want my child to have a normal life, to be able to choose a sport/hobby they can excel while just supporting them.

1. recommend1 profile image71
      recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

You pretty much have this right !

The education up to University or College level is full on, my missus is in the other room teaching after-school kids right now!

I am not sure it is a specially bad thing in many ways - although when this system that is already full-on is also overdone it can be over the top.  Many of the lessons at all levels (up to those just before the state uni entrance exam) are often game and group-play oriented that takes some of the edge off it.  When these guys arrive at Uni they are often far less sexually advanced and competetive and can appear a little naive.  The Uni education suffers from following the same kind of teaching regimes with now adult students and not enough creative work.

If we do have a kid between myself and my Chinese missus I will happily see him/her educated in China - then send him/her to the UK for Uni.  I consider this to be the best of both educational worlds.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image66
        prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Cambridge, Oxford, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE),

I don't have anything to say about the naivete among those pre-college students except to say, what can you expect from Asian parents, they are relatively stricter, my parents are like that too -- LOL..

As I expect the in-laws to do all the donkey work the upbringing will not be so strict I guess !  The Chinese outside Mainland China in the UK, Singapore, Hong Kong etc seem to be old-fashoned strict compared to China.

I think so too, perhaps because they have to strive more when they are in other countries.

Hmm, your future babies will have both worlds and they will have doting "yeye" and 'nai nai" to take care of them!

Kinda cool don'cha think ! ?

Life in the middle is a good place to be, it gives us 2 choices of direction to run when the crap hits the fan big_smile

1. qwark profile image60
                  qwarkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

G'mornin' Recommend and Prettydh:

I don't think there'll be a place to run when the "crap hits the fan."

I can't imagine how life on this planet can continue to exist, when the 'dominant" life form is so dysfunctional.

You've read some of my "hubs."

Sometime, in the very near future, there will have to be a massive human "culling" to reduce the human population to a number which can be successfully controlled and governed.

How that "reduction" will happen? I can only guess, but it will become a necessity!

When "it" does happen, over a very long period of time, a new human creature and way of life will evolve.

From an epistemological point of view, there is no limit to what the human brain can evolve to become.

If we "survive," there will come a time when evolution will produce a dynamic, human "singularity" that can only be imagined today.

The laws of physics will allow us about 2 billion more yrs to become "all we can be!"

2. dingdondingdon profile image61
        dingdondingdonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A China-educated child would not survive in a British university. The education system is far too different. While China (and Japan and South Korea) mostly focuses on memorisation of a subject, British education places more value on understanding the general principle behind it. Take a Math test: the Chinese way would to be memorise the answer to as many sums as possible. The British way would be to understand the method used to answer the sums and not bother with memorising the answers.

This is why Chinese students at British and American universities often plagiarise - because this is not seen as a negative thing in China's educational culture. Rather it is seen as acknowledging that your betters have already said it and you cannot expand upon it.