jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

The waste of taxpayer money at the local levels of government

1. cat on a soapbox profile image83
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I am interested in hearing your specific examples of  the waste of taxpayers money at the city and county level. Today I received a sample ballot, as did my husband, for the General Municipal Election fo the City of Los Angeles. It contains one issue: a single seat for the Board of the LA Community College District. This is at a time of extreme budget constraints!!

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Nashville; the Mayor just appointed a new Director @ 179,000 base salary to over-see Bike lanes..!

we only have them in a few areas near downtown and out in the Rich sub-divisions..!   He stated he will put togeather a staff and make proposals?

They can not even control rain run off and flooding here, and this is what they come up with...

2. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

Local: Little Rock, Arkansas
    Pulaski County School District and North Little Rock School District receives millions and millions of state tax dollars for "desegregation purposes" each year. It is wasted continually and now the State Attorney General's Office is involved.

Of course the New site is dragging the information out so we will watch the telecast. This is old news since it has gone own for over a decade now and it never gets resolved. Arkansas shuts down smaller schools statewide because of the "state budget" for schools, but it is perfectly OK to waste dollars in these 2 School Districts. Dumb!

3. American_Choices profile image83
    American_Choicesposted 5 years ago

Our government inefficiencies are becoming burdensome.  From dishonest governors in Illinois to recall elections in Wisconsin. 

Where is American frugality?

We need teamwork not division.

We need standards of excellence not controversy.

4. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Where do I start?
    Our local citycouncilman (we call him Rob Wrong) erected a statue in the park behind our house. And paved a walkway to it.
    Now they are building a skatepark (because the basketball court that's there attracts the "criminal element").
    I'm all in favor of parks.
    But how about
    a) turning the lights on at night
    b) cutting the grass so the soccer teams who play there on Sundays (probably paying the city for the privilege) don't have to bring out mowers themselves
    c) maybe a security patrol once in awhile. Just to keep the druggies and prostitutes who do business right behind my fence in check.
    Priorities? Where are they???

5. 69
    logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago

4 million dollars for an animal rescue building.  How many homeless children would that money house?