Is this the end for Gaddafi?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

America has just announced the use of unmanned drones in Libya.

These things can target where nothing else can, so is there going to be a regime change because Qaddafi or Gaddafi is remembered as the guy who became a grease spot for holding out too long?

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

he has this way of surviving, he's like teflon nothing sticks to him...smile

I think we really need to worry about a sound US polocy to handel this properly, with an out,  and not just step into something here, instead of chasing the Desert Fox, we need to consider why we are even there in the first place.

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like all the other sound US policies ?  Like those from even before the one that ended in helicopters grabbing handfuls of embassy staff from the top of the embassy building in Vietnam - and leaving all their mess behind them.

Why is it any of anyones busienss to 'handle it' properly or not.

Does anyone in this thread even know why the west is attacking Gaddafi ?  Why the west is actively supporting a handful of poorly organised 'rebels' - apart from making them look credible?  Who do you think these 'rebels' are, suppressed villagers making a stand?  wake up for FS - they will all speak with a slight American or Brit or French accent.

earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I would like to know more about the situation. I have never been to Libya and only know what I have read in the press.

I listen to the BBC and its Asian, German, English news which does seem less gung-ho than fox and some of the commercial channels.
          Maybe I should broaden my sources.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60

thats my point recomend

we need to carefully think this through and get out asap. NATO is the excuse so far, but the real reason we do not hear in the US. so folks like me do not get real accurate info. They are not forth-comming with it.

I just know we step into all kinds of stuff we have no place in.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The same drones being used to hunt Bin Laden?  Ironically, many do not see this as an egregious violation a national sovereignty but objected to removing Saddam who was far more brutal or supported removing Mubarak who was far less brutal.

The end result of this North African destabilization will be the ascendency of the Muslim Brotherhood and AL Qaeda.  Bravo Barrack brilliant foreign policy.  You can find Libya on the map but couldn't find your own backside with both hands and a flash light.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

They been trying to kill him for 40 years, like Castro and Chavez and numerous others.
    These guys know how to hide. One diplomat said he was driven around for something like eight hours blindfolded before he met with Qaddafi.

I guess all they will be able to do is hit the heavy weapons and the people will have to do the rest in that case.

I don't envy someone fighting him, he seems completely insane yet cunning as a fox. smile

1. dutchman1951 profile image60

true Earnest, from the air, very difficult to access. and I am one American that does not want us in there, troops on the ground.  But again, in need of accurate source also.

3. knolyourself profile image61

He is a revolutionary. I believe only Iran,
    Syria and Libya are not US vassal states controlled by big oil, banks and corporations. Notice who the enemies are?

Yes, and his enemies have much to answer for, but I have listened to the speeches this revolutionary has made over many years and assumed from them that he was criminally insane and a danger to his own people.

2. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Their first enemies are their own people.
      This goes for all you've mentioned :
      Iran, Syria and Lybia.
      This goes also both ways.
      They are the first enemies of their own people

4. knolyourself profile image61

I had a different interpretation.

Fair enough. smile

5. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

I have no opinion about Gaddafi, he does not seem any more or less anything than any other mid-east leader, he hasn't done anything as bad as the UKnor the US, even on a smaller scale.

I do know that the colonial powers still think they have the right to regime change wherever they think it is in their trading interests to do so.

And I am waiting for the screams of the guilty when unidentified plastic drones start dropping out of the sky onto the families of politicians and random other people  IN THE UK OR THE US who some 'enemy' thinks might be a baddie, or their neighbour and his kids becasue they borrowed the guys car, or the local council because it is a meeting of the 'enemy'.

I find it hard to believe the general levels of public indifference to the terrorism of the colonial powers.

6. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

"The end result of this North African destabilization will be the ascendency of the Muslim Brotherhood and AL Qaeda."

And how does this affect us in any way? Why should we care who they choose as their leaders?

But-dam us for using those drones!How would we like it if it were done here?
    Stop the madness!!

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60

The ascendency of two groups whose expressed purpose is the subjugation of all to Islam?  You see there are two spheres.  The sphere of Islam and the sphere of Jihad.  If you are not of Islam you are of Jihad.  This can be debated all you would like and will prove true.  Either it is resisted or prepare for Jihad.

For those not so delussional as to forget September 11th, 2001 there were "drones" used in New York, Washington D.C. and Shanksville.

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well now, that depends on just what one believes about 9/11 doesn't it?

Not everyone buys the official version. Like me. And that changes how you feel about everything else.

You have a version you believe, nothing else.

You have just cleared up so much.  Conspiracy theories appeal to some.

Where have you been?
            I said long ago 9/11 was an inside job. And you defend those I believe to be responsible.

So, you see, you have no moral high-ground. Only what you believe to be true.

7. gajanis786 profile image83
    gajanis786posted 13 years ago

Well,to be very neutral, I do not support Nato and U.S. attacks on Libya and at the same time do not even support Gaddaffi  as  he has been playing in the hands of U.S. establishments all these past 30 years or so .....and now as the wind is blowing other side this same U.S. government and Nato are out there to target Libya and its people for their vested interests.

So when Libya killed service men in a Berlin Disco and blew up a 747 over Lockerbie, Scotland they were following the wishes of the west?  Wow, conspiracy theories really are compelling.

So, why did Israel send 50,000 mercenaries in to fight for Khaddafi?
        This is what puzzles me.

8. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

Someone who's insane has no remorse and that's what keeps them going, they don't care.

9. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

Interesting topic if you turn this around.  If aggressive support of the opponents of a government we don't like is considered to be benficial, a good thing to do for outside countries - then it is ok if some outside country supports the militant rebels against your current administration?  It would be ok for a few countries to fund and arm your right wing loonies who are trying to talk up a military coup against the Obama administration?  Other countries should flood the internet with fake pictures of American atrocities, although there are plenty of real pictures that your various oppressive administrations of the last few decades have suppressed, banned and jailed people for exposing.

Isn't it time for states to stop camouflaging aggressive commercial intervention as righteous?

10. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

Dear Panda.
    That's the way it always has been.
    And for president sarkozy, it's a hell of a chance of gaining popularity for the next election next year.
    He already has an avenue in Tripoli called affter his name.
    Do you want to change that ? How ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)