jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (17 posts)

To my Canadian friends... yeah, democracy just doesn't work.....

1. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

She took a vacation to Las Vegas during the campaign, hasn't confirmed she's even visited her riding and has questionable command of French, but the NDP's Ruth Ellen Brosseau won the Quebec riding of Berthier - Maskinongé.

CBC reported Brosseau was elected with 40 per cent of the vote.

Her victory is part of a landslide victory for the NDP in Quebec, where the CBC is projecting the Bloc Québécois will be reduced to as few as two seats and leader Gilles Duceppe was defeated in his riding.

Brosseau works in Ottawa as an assistant manager at a pub and lives in Gatineau, Que. Bill Curry of The Globe and Mail has described her as a "classic parachute candidate."

During the campaign, Brosseau continued to work at the pub in Ottawa and took a vacation to Las Vegas. According to the Globe, her boss wasn't even aware she was running for office.

An NDP spokesman, Marc-André Viau, admitted to the Globe, that Brosseau is "not ready to do a press conference," explaining her French still needs work. Viau promised if she were to be elected his party would "make sure that she's ready."

Now that Brosseau has bested her nearest rival, Guy André of the Bloc Québécois, by more than 10 per cent of the vote, the NDP will be watched closely to see if it fulfills that promise.

And not only with Brosseau, but also with the many other NDP candidates who few considered contenders just five weeks ago.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

..yup...there's lots of work for the NDPs to do....a new look?

...talk about parachuting in politicians...I guess Iggy will take the next plane out?

Greek Oneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

He will be making room for the next Prime Minister of Canada...

Justin Trudeau

..he could be ...i think there are few folks watching JT...so instead of PET...is he JET?  smile

dont think he has a middle name.. so it would just be JT... like Justin Timberlake

2. recommend1 profile image71
            recommend1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

How about you lay this elction thing out in plain words so the rest of us (who don't even now how to spell your capital city Kwebec) can get a handle on what is going on ??

1. Pearldiver profile image87
              Pearldiverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yep Great Idea... maybe in Cantonese hmm
              Chris... mail me a new P/W svp.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

...how about i lay out in french? ...better?...

1. recommend1 profile image71
                recommend1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

oui - cest bonne pour moi

okay....so it is Quebec...not Koolbec!....bonjour mon ami!

..and it aint the capital

2. Pearldiver profile image87
                    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Tres Bon Avatar Someway smile

...well from my 'work' perspective...we have a majority gov't that may not want to fund social programs...that's what i'm watching for....

...and through work - I'll have to become friends with the new politician for the area...i hate selling my soul!...but i'll do it...for the children and all the lost kitty cats....

2. megs78 profile image60
          megs78posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I imagine you're right...

SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...so i'm listening to the news....poor iggy is gonna say what his plans are...ha ha ha....i don't think he has a choice but to pack his bags and leave!...and bring the wife too!

1. canadawest99 profile image61
      canadawest99posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Greek, you have to look deeper to see what happened and it wasn't democracy.  More like another attempt at extortion.  A bloc of people of similar background and views massively switched allegiances to another single party who holds similar views and promised increased entitlements and extra special rights and status.

working