Say What You Want, Sarah Palin's speech was awesome.

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

Still don't know who I'm voting for for sure, but that woman gave a great speech imo.

2. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

I'll say what I want. I found it unimpressive. Where was the policy?

3. Shadesbreath profile image79

You mean where were the minute details covering every aspect of the many policy questions she addressed quite clearly?  You don't honestly think that an acceptance speech at the convention is where you explain how you're going to allocate money and reform agencies, and which contracts are going to be ammended or re-bid, who is going to be promoted or nominated to what position, who is going to be removed, how many dollars are going to be diverted from which programs, which are going to be merged and which eliminated, and how the tax revinues will be reapportioned and to how many decimal points and any massive number of incredibly complex and delicate parts of the big picture that takes time and teams to work through once some leader actually decides to make a point of something?   Yeah, that part was missing for sure.  But she was pretty clear on what she stands for.    That was my point. 

She still has to prove she can handle it and make me believe she's not just hot air, but she gave a good speech and I'm impressed for whatever being impressed at a good speech is worth.

4. spryte profile image76
    spryteposted 15 years ago

I was impressed as well....the woman has sass...and for what that's worth, I like that in a person.  She presented herself well, spoke well and with conviction.  I also enjoyed Rudy's speech too.  The debates are going to be very interesting.  I'm looking forward to them immensely.

5. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

No, I don't think she needed to delve into details, of course. But talking about your goals (beyond victory in Iraq, and drilling for oil) and how you plan on making them feasible, would be a great start. We don't vote people based on how much we like them; we vote for them because we think they'll get things done.

I have a soft spot for sassy, strong people - some of my best friends have this personality. But I don't vote for someone for the highest office in the land because I like their communication style. I want to see what they plan on doing, and how they plan on making that happen.

I also look forward to the debates.

6. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

I only heard excerpts from the speech. But I was concerned at her use of the phrase 'victory in Iraq'. Against what enemy? How will she know when she has won? Seemed a bit simplistic to me.

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
      Shadesbreathposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There were a couple of spots where I looked at my wife and said, "Yeah, she's gonna have to deal with that remark later."  My point is overall, it was good.  She came out of nowhere, got lambasted for three days and really shone brightly on this particular moment.

Quensday, I agree, I can't remember an election where both candidates seemed to overlap in so many ways and yet be so polar opposite in others.

7. Prophecy Teacher profile image60
    Prophecy Teacherposted 15 years ago

Strong - loved it!
       Rudy was awesome. Unbelievable.

Obama is going to be on Fox's Bill O'Reilly tomorrow - Thurs. Obama called him. They are going to talk 30 minutes before McCain's speech. O'Reilly announced it live tonight.

8. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

I thought Sarah Palin did an amazing job!!  She showed that she is smart, confident, strong, and dedicated.  I also really enjoyed hearing Rudy speak!!  It was an impressive night!  I can't wait to see Obama on The Factor!  I think it was cleverly timed, though.  The same night as McCain's speach at the convention.  I really don't see that as a coincidence.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, O'Reilly planned it all to take attention away from McCain...

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure if that was supposed to be sarcastic or not.  Sometimes it is hard to tell on things like this.  I am a big fan of Bill O'Reilly.  I look forward to watching the long awaited interview with Obama.  I feel that the timing had more to do with Obama that it did with O'Reilly.  I don't really know for sure.

1. spryte profile image76
          spryteposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's tit for tat no matter where it comes from.  The Republicans shrewdly announced their VP shortly after Obama's speech to steal his thunder...and now it's the same thing vice versa.  I try not to get offended by the political strategy...but instead to use it to gain insight into the mind of the political machine. 

It's a chess match...and to be honest, I don't want a president that can't think one step ahead of his opponent.  Repercussions are everything...and I'd like to know that whomever is in charge is thinking about that always.  I applauded the timing of Sarah Palin's announcement...and obviously Obama learned something from that as well.

9. Prophecy Teacher profile image60
    Prophecy Teacherposted 15 years ago
    1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No, the Sun agrees. lolo

2. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The Sun is a sensationalist right wing tabloid rag owned by Rupert Murdoch.

The Brits, indeed . . .

10. quensday profile image68
    quensdayposted 15 years ago

I think she handled her attacks well, and that is the part I liked of her speech the most. I would like to comment that if you take out all the proper nouns in her speech and speeches in general, they would all boil down to the same. You won't be able to figure out which party it came from simply because of the overwhelming elements of pronounced patriotism.  People also applaud tremendously after key trigger words such as people, democracy, America, etc.

11. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years ago

Unfortunately, I know a number of people that vote for candidates based only on their looks and speaking style. I am frustrated by this and wish they would awaken to critical thinking.

Guliani made me laugh out loud (I laugh at goofy stuff said by anyone against any candidate) and several times reminded me of stand-up comedy.

As far as a Republican ticket, I think some voters voting GOP will be voting for Palin and McCain will be along for the ride, or function as training wheels for the VP sort-of-thing.

I am having fun listening to both Dems and GOP in this election, though. Further, politcal cartoons have turned to Photoshop and the like, which is also a hoot.

"Pathetic Earthlings, who will save you now....?" smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  Palin's performance shows that she can play to the camera and read her lines well, but that just means she's a good actor.   It has nothing to do with her ability to actually govern.  Unfortunately that seems to be how we choose our leaders these days.

I hope people remember that there's a high probability, if she's elected, that she WILL be President.  John McCain is not young and not in good health - what are the chances of him lasting the term?

1. crashcromwell profile image68
        crashcromwellposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone can predict what will happen to John McCain in the next few years. To me, it's a crap shoot. Regardless, Sarah Palin is a player who needs to be scrutinized because whether McCain wins or loses in November, Palin will likely be a contender for the Republicans in 2012, that is unless Troopergate turns out to be something big.

12. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 15 years ago

I think Palin is a great speaker, but I did not like her speech. I agree with posters saying her policy is lacking, and I disagree that signing in the construction of a pipeline, deciding not to take some previous luxuries of office, and giving back a surplus (like Bush in some regards), means she's a great leader.

What about the real issues? What are her plans?

And of course, she's not the one running for president.

I also didn't like her attacks on Obama. She manipulated and in some ways straight out lied. If she is not aware of Obama's policy outlines, all she has to do is visit his website, or listen to him speak sometimes.

He never said he would raise everyone's taxes, in fact he wishes to create many tax cuts, and he does have policies for all the big issues. His are more indepth than McCain's. I don't trust Palin.

1. hubby7 profile image63
      hubby7posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree that Palin did, in fact, misrepresent Obama's record in part. As to raising taxes, what I gather from one of our city papers here in Chicago is that both John McCain and Obama will be raising taxes, McCain by 3% and Obama by 5%. Like most of you, I thought that she did a  rather fine job deliverying her speech. The big question is how much of it was accurate?

hubby7

Which Chicago paper are you refering to?  Chicago media is known for being liberally biased, especially the Sun-Times.

But facts are facts...I'm sure they quoted a poll.

The difference is, Obama will raise taxes for the richest 1% of the citizens. McCain will lower taxes for that same 1%.

Yes, Obama plans on raising taxes.  He wants to raise payroll taxes, estate taxes and income taxes.  He wants to tax businesses, big and small.  He says this won't affect middle-class America.  The only citizens his taxes won't affect are people who don't buy things from businesses and who don't collect a paycheck from businesses.  When business gets tax hikes, they cut spending, which means they cut jobs.  Small businesses will be forced out of business, which results in more jobs lost.  My family ran a small business years ago, and after taxes were raised on small businesses, my family was forced to close down their business because it was beyond our family's ability to keep it running.

2. livelonger profile image87
          livelongerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Conservatives think that anything that doesn't agree with them 100% is liberally-biased. Needless to say, reality doesn't necessarily agree.

As Colbert says..."reality has a well-known liberal bias"

13. Shadesbreath profile image79

Fair enough to see that way if you like, but as someone who's done a fair amount of speaking I can say, she still stuck that speech.  For me it's kind of like judging a gymnast's floor excercise or something.  She nailed her landing, that's my point.

14. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I must say, she spoke well, and has a great smile.

What she said though, made me want to puke.

But - if you prefer references to "victory in Iraq," and "stopping Iran from akwiring nukular weapons," and "Go USA," to actual policies and a reasonable approach, I guess she is for you.

As an outsider, I am frankly amazed that a 72 year old with cancer is allowed to pick some one such as this as a running mate.

I understand her only real function as VP candidate is to cast aspersions on their rivals, but if McCain is elected, my only hope is that he lives long enough to prevent this woman from akwiring the mantle.......

God help us all if she became President.

Where is that big button to stop them Iranians?

15. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Even though everything Palin stands for is anathema to me, I give her credit where credit is due. It was a well given speech,
    of her given perspective, although some of her statements were pure fiction.

16. Shadesbreath profile image79

See, you guys have collectively proven that both candidates are totally evil and going to ruin everything for everyone.  So I might just go back to voting for Palin because she's hot.  I mean, if the nation is doomed no matter who we elect, might as well have some eye-candy.

1. profile image0
      daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hey, Obama has a cute ass and Joe is hot for an older guy.  I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed, but I wouldn't let McCain INTO it...and of course, being totally hetero, I wouldn't let Palin in either.

I'm just amazed at how unreal this whole Presidential race is going.  I'm still not sure who to vote for.  It's a long way to November.  Who knows what will happen.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lmoa  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)