jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

A few Facts...

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
    Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago

Yesterday. LaLo posted the following as part of a premise that we can't raise the debt ceiling. It's a lie. I suspect LaLo only posts what she's instructed, so I don't blame her directly for repeating what she does not comprehend.

"...even though historically revenues don't exceed more than 20% of GDP ...." 

Look at the history here.

http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/down … mp;local=s

Or Google 'revenue as a percent of GDP' and pick ANY site.

The last time in US history that revenues were less than 20% of GDP was just before the Great Depression. 1930s people. The lie doesn't resemble the truth. Was it close? Check the numbers. The US revenues as a percent of GDP have been over 30% since 1970!!! Often around 35%.

Looking at history, pick the 'best' decades for the middle-class. If you picked the 20 years after World War II, statistics on a variety of demographics, income, home ownership, education & job opportunies back you up.

The national debt as a percent of GDP was higher after WWII than than it is now. The tax rate for the very top earners was then OVER 90%!!!  And America flourished, paid down the national debt...

This whole controversy over the debt ceiling is a sham. The national debt has grown too large and must be paid down. True. That means fat cats will have to pay more taxes and they don't want to. An asrtroturf 'party' has been created to create the illusion of a populist movement.  When they got down to specifics, the movement is backstabbing seniors while simultaniously giving a tax break to the top one percent!

A large portion of the public has been fooled into thinking that the rich are the source of wealth and must be worshipped.  Fat cats aren't where wealth comes from - they are where wealth goes TO!!!!

This country was founded for the benefit of the people. We the PEOPLE are invariably the source of wealth. We are long overdue in running the country for OUR benefit.

1. S Leretseh profile image59
      S Leretsehposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"the movement is backstabbing seniors"

Wasn't it the seniors who've been the MAJOR beneficences of the 13 trillion run up of the US debt since 1980?  If a senior didn't get his share of this robbery of the youth, he only has himself o blame. I assume doug, you were one of the ones who feel left out...therefore SOUR GRAPES time. Societies existence depend on youth , not elderly.

BTW, if you need money, lots of paper routs out there doug.

1. iQwest profile image71
        iQwestposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're right, S Leretseh!

The senior executives at all the uber corporations and the senior hedge fund managers have "been the MAJOR beneficences of the 13 trillion run up of the US debt since 1980".

The "seniors" Doug is referring to are those being forced to work at Walmart why we try to figure out how to provide more tax havens and entitlements to companies like G.E. and Exxon.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image70
        Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As usual, you don't remotely have a grasp of basic facts.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Nice post. smile

Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

TY, Cags. We don't always agree but you always think for yourself.

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome Doug. And, you'd be correct, we don't always agree.

And, yes on your other statement. I like to think for myself. I find it very relaxing and peaceful.

Like I've always said- "Life is Easy, People Make It Complicated". smile

Thinking independently is hard work for me. Being a drone and posting for your masters must be a breeze by comparison.

But I'm too dam cranky to be anybody's drone.

1. Cagsil profile image60
            Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol

2. earnestshub profile image88
            earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It was a nice post Doug, I think you summed it up very well. smile

Spasiba.

3. Doug Hughes profile image59
    Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago

It's interesting how the Wingnuts who spam the forums with lies evaporate when hard numbers are presented. The claim of 20% understated the truth by about 60%.

Some powerful people are trying hard to create a ridiculously false perception and lay the groundwork for legislation that will ensure a government too weak to stand up to the abuses of big business.

1. iQwest profile image71
      iQwestposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Agreed, Doug.  And, the hypocrisy when it comes to their said distaste for "big government" is a joke.

The individuals you're referring to love "big government" and "heavy handed" government regulation when it comes to imposing their social ideals.

4. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 6 years ago

So let's see.
    Big government = bad.
    Big business = good.

Hmm.

I don't think so.

1. lovemychris profile image81
      lovemychrisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Big Business RUNNING big gubmint...even better!!wink

working