jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Islam and democracy:prospects of democracy in the middle east

1. mtariqsattar profile image78
    mtariqsattarposted 5 years ago

There had been an ever recurring argument over the years; that is if Islam is compatible with democracy; if so, Muslim countries would not have been devoid of democracy. Before exploring this; it has to be taken into account that there is world of difference between what the Islam preaches and what Muslims actually do and practice..

2. SandyMcCollum profile image85
    SandyMcCollumposted 5 years ago

This is not news, it's been argued for years.

The same can be said for Christianity and other religions.

3. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Islam and Democracy? Never happen.

Islam isn't about to give up the power it presently has, by letting Democracy in the door.

Religion would have to take a backseat to politics and that won't happen. wink

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree. Throughout the middle east politics IS religion. smile

4. 0
    Muldanianmanposted 5 years ago

It was once the same in the Christian world.  Europe was hardly democratic for centuries under Christian rule.  It is only in the past century or so that Christian countries have gained democracy.  As Islam is centuries younger than Christianity, it might take some time to get there, but the events in the Middle East might suggest that the people do want democracy.

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think the young and educated want democracy and know what it is, not so sure that democracy is where it is headed though, zealots and fundies still control what happens on the ground for the most part. smile

5. recommend1 profile image71
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

Why do supporters of Democracy try to spread their idea in the same way and with the same fervour as christian missionaries?  If the idea of it and its practice were the same I could understand it, but they are not. 

The obvious attraction of one man one vote is totally negated when WHO you can vote for is decided by others. Today's democracy is no different in its outcome than some of the imposed systems. The candidates or parties are either rich right or its smiley face, rich right liberal - and we make such a fuss about who is going to be the face of the ultra rich rulers who really run our countries.

I am a stalwart supporter of democracy myself, when somebody shows me some of it working I will be pleased to support it, until then any other system is just as good and just as bad.