jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

"W" Ignored N.O. but Obama Trip Continues Uninterupted

1. uncorrectedvision profile image59
    uncorrectedvisionposted 5 years ago

The body count in Joplin continues to rise.  Joplin is a small city of around fifty thousand.  The whining of "help me government" blessedly absent from people who are used to doing for themselves.

The wards of government who suffered so profoundly in New Orleans may have fared better if they had been taking care of themselves.  The government which reduces typically fails to provide.

God bless the brave and descent people of Joplin as they rescue themselves.  They will get a royal visit from the President on Sunday.

"W" waited three days and he was a jerk.  Barry has waited a week and he is a brilliant, compassionate leader.  Help me Barry you are my rock and my refuge.

Just to let you see how bad Joplin is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ssing.html

1. DTR0005 profile image86
      DTR0005posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I might suggest you put of all this anger, borderline pathological at times, you have for one man to some good use... say solving the energy crisis.

The "W" issue during Catrina is a little different in the following ways: The failure of FEMA fell squarely on the shoulders of Bush because, as president, if your people in-charge screw the pooch, you take the fall. Remember "Browny?" I never "blamed" W for the Hurricane Catrina debacle because, being a rational human being, I know there are some things you can't plan for - no matter how good you are. The unprecedented flooding of a major American city is one of them.

And, not to be overlooked, from a private insurance perspective, Catrina and Joplin are worlds apart. Catrina was mainly flood water - excluded from coverage by private insurance. Thus the insurance catastrophe teams, insurance support, etc. were lacking because, again, flood water is not covered under private insurance. The entire or nearly entire support of this disaster fell on FEMA's shoulders and they were unprepared, but again, how do you prepare for something like Catrina that happens once a century? Joplin, being a tornado loss, is fully covered by private insurance so there are literally thousands of insurance adjusters, catastrophe managers on-site to take up the ball and run with it. If 80% of the homes and businesses were insured (as they likely were) then 80% of the losses are being handled under private insurance policies. As horrible as Joplin is, it is a very manageable loss scenario as compared to Catrina - private insurance doesn't plan on dealing with floods because they don't cover the loss.

2. rhamson profile image75
      rhamsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

While I don't know your political leanings I think that it is funny how many people on the right complain about the president as to intrusive in their lives.  But when something like this happens they all scream where was the president when all this went down.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image59
        uncorrectedvisionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not the point at all.  But you hinted at the inability to get the point merely by assuming I was a "rightest," what ever that means.  The labels of left and right have no meaning to me.  My observation is regarding the double standard among liberals and the sycophants in the press regarding the failings of Democrats. 

The criticism heaped upon GWB is absent when the same action comes from BHO.  The Patriot Act is renewed and signed by BHO.  The same Patriot Act for which GWB was criticized.  Gitmo is still open, American troops are still in Iraq and Afghanistan and renditions continue.  The supposedly unauthorized wars in Iraw and Afghanistan have been followed up with a war in Libya in which the BHO dismisses any call for Congressional authorization.  Where is the criticism?

1. rhamson profile image75
          rhamsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am sorry if you took my post as accusing you of anything but I was merely musing as to how it is a peculiar situation.

I agree the slanted press hooks up with a topic and chases it to whatever exploitation they want.

I also find it peculiar that the in the early years of the wars under GW there was such prolific coverage and now we barely get a report other than some casualties.  No imbedded exclusives or special operations.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image68
          Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"assuming I was a "rightest," what ever that means"

I doubt anybody mistakes you for a "leftist," whatever that means or a "centrist" whatever that means. You could be mistaken for a "Bushist."

3. Ralph Deeds profile image68

The people in Joplin are praising the help they are getting from FEMA.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 5 years ago

There is no Joplin after that storm.

I heard that stupid church (if you call it a church, I do not) that protests military funerals, is suposidly planning a demonstration there..!

God Bless Joplin. Good decent people there I think

3. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 5 years ago

Recovery efforts are proceeding smoothly, There is no panic or waves of criminals running loose in the streets. Just why would you assume the president would simply drop what ever he is doing and run to have his picture taken doing nothing? This question sought simply to give a bunch of hatefilled irrational people a sign that the next public bashing of Obama has begun.

What makes you think that Obama needs to be everywhere, He isn't the decider. He has people he trusts in place to handle these things.  I am sure you are probably right in that he turned off his cell phone when he left American airspace. No need to trouble himself with that bunch of him haters back home. He'll turn it back on soon don't you worry your head about it no more.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Obama is attending a G8 summit...I believe GW was playing golf...

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

It should make you happy he is going there today or tomorrow. But of course it won't.