How to Self-destruct. GOP Gives Lessons

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago

June 08, 2011 10:00 AM
    They made their bed, but they don't want to lie in it.
    By Blue Girl

"...The fact of the matter is, polling shows that over half of the American people hate the Ryan plan, with the highest level of opposition coming from senior citizens --the exact group of people who would be spared it's ravages.

The irony isn't lost on me that the very people who would get hurt the worst is the demographic that registers the highest support for the plan --but when you're still on your parents insurance and don't have any pre-existing conditions and have never looked for insurance on the private market, it's easy to think you can navigate the system.

Remember how much smarter your parents got in the ten years it tookyou to get from 15 to 25? Same principle here. But it doesn't really matter, because guess who votes?

That's right. The old people who oppose it the most.

I also have to admit that my inner armchair-psychologist is bemused by Ryan.

As we all know, he is a Randian, and Randians embrace an "ethic" of selfishness. I honestly believe that Paul Ryan thought that those 55 and older would be totally cool with throwing their kids and grandkids to the wolves, so long as they themselves didn't have to pay the penalty. I think he was taken aback when people asked "but what about my kids?" because he lacks the capacity for empathy that is required before one can think to ask such a question.

When it turned out that most people aren't sociopaths, I truly believe that Ryan was genuinely shocked. Not only that, it was a possibility he failed to consider, because he lacked the empathy necessary for that sort of foresight. Fortunately, that flaw always proves to be the undoing of the Objectivist Libertarians like Ryan --not just because it energizes and mobilizes the left, but because it mobilizes people of faith as well, and as we well know, there are many people of faith in the ranks of the GOP."

2. Ralph Deeds profile image70
    Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago

The TeaTards are turning the GOP inside out. They don't have a single viable candidate to run against Obama next year even though he is vulnerable due to the continuing high level of unemployment and the endless war in Afghanistan.