jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

1. jheck1 profile image59
    jheck1posted 5 years ago

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why in this economic situation that the US is in that the President and Congress want to cut expenses on the American people instead od cutting the billions of dollars the US spends on foreign aid to other countries that don't even like us.  What do you think??

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I have too many hubs on American politics to explain the complicated issue addressed in your post.

Yes, giving aid to foreign countries is a problem, but it's only one of the many problems.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

"instead od cutting the billions of dollars the US spends on foreign aid to other countries that don't even like us.  What do you think??"
    Because most of your oil comes from foreign countries plus a good deal of raw resources.
    The policy of the US is to control the governments of these providers with the military, rather than straight up cooperation with say governments they don't control. Costs these corporations nothing since they have the tax payers to pay for it as patriotism.

4. 0
    Muldanianmanposted 5 years ago

Last year in the UK, the government announced that it would begin winding back the Welfare State, taking welfare benefits away from the seriously ill, and that people living in social housing would only be able to do so for five years, and then they will have to leave, even if they have nowhere else to go to.  On exactly the same day, it announced that it would increase foreign aid by several billion.  This included money sent to India, so that it could spend it on its space programme.  The UK also increased its aid to China, a country that is busy buying up most of Africa and which is vastly richer than the UK.  In fact, both China and India said that they no longer needed UK aid, but that they would accept it nonetheless.  The UK has never had a space programme because it cannot afford one.  It now cannot even afford to pay for welfare benefits to the sick and dying. Yet there seems to be an endless supply of money for countries that could buy the UK several times over. 

Additionaly, on this same day of spending cuts, the governemnt announced a huge increase in the money it pays to the European Union.  And to add further insult to injury, on that same fateful day, it announced that the Queen would be able to take an income from the Crown Estates, the first monarch in centuries to do so.  This increased her annual income from approximately £30 million to approximately £300 million.  Her Majesty was said to be delighted.  I can understand why.  What a wonderful thing to see democracy in action.  I wish our government would stop behaving like Britain is the rich imperial  country it once was and began to recognise reality.  We do not owe India anything, it is no longer the jewel in the crown of the British Empire.  Wake up and smell the coffee Westminster.

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

"We do not owe India anything"
    Some Richie Rich making money someplace.

6. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I think some level of foreign spending to help the starving and oppressed is rather... um, nice.  Whether they like you for it or not.