jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Tenn. law bans posting images that "cause emotional distress

1. TMMason profile image75
    TMMasonposted 5 years ago

Here we go. Freedom of Expression and Speech under attack in the USA again.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news … stress.ars

I find this law insulting, and nothing more than another strike at free speech and expression.

1. 0
      klarawieckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well! So much for the newspaper and local news on TV!

2. Shadesbreath profile image90
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

I think what's worse is that we have become such a nation of candy ass whiners.

The whole "sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me" thing we had in grade school is dying. Replaced with "sticks and stones should be illegal, and please don't look at me with that mean expression in your eyes, you're scaring me, and, wait, is that your bra strap showing? OMG, I am so offended... POLICE POLICE!"

Franklin knew we couldn't keep freedom. He was right. Bunch of panzy, lazy, self-centered, self-righteous a-holes, with half sucking the system dry and the whole lot certain they have all the answers for everyone else.

TMMasonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree fullly, shades.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Yes, let's leave all images where they are.

Two men kissing, a man and a woman kissing, pictures from gay weddings, pictures of the Westboro fanatics, a woman in a skimpy top, a picture of the President topless; you never know what will offend. Where do you draw the line?

4. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

The Tennessee courts are going to be busy now 24/7 and an unbelievable back-up with all kinds of "offensive  Pictures charges."
    No time for real crimes in courts, just the "I am offended" cases.
    LOLOLOLOL...how low can politicians and a Governor go???

5. lovemychris profile image78
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

This has been going on for a long time. That's why Howard Stern is off commercial radio...why they made such a stink about JJ's b00b.
    The bully laws are serious business..you are facing real charges for calling people names....I'm talking kids here!

It has long been an effort to shape people into little good boys and girls.
    It's oppressive to live in America.
    In fact--one man I know from Nepal said to me: "You aren't free here! Can you smoke a cigarette where you like? You are always afraid of the police coming up behind you. You are afraid of each other! We are much more free in my country...the police leave us alone."

I think here we worry about shaping people into what we want,and who it is that decides what is "proper behavior" are up-tight pursed lipped human beings!!

So worried about drinking, so worried about sex....it's stultifying.

TMMasonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have to agree fully, Chris. It is a sad state of affairs in this country.

I do not really believe I am writing this... but hey.

6. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 5 years ago

I have looked and have been unable to find anything in the constitution that guantees us the right not to be offended. I was under the impression the freedom of speech clause was written to protect the speech that some would find intolerable. I dislike the Westboro Bunch and yet I am forced to defend their right to say what they say. Some people don't realize that by seeking to outlaw what they find to be wrong, they will soon be on the other side of the battle lines. Once you outlaw any type of speech you disagree with, you risk having what you do agree with being banned.

1. recommend1 profile image70
      recommend1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am a staunch defender of free speech but the argument is not as simple as we like to paint it.

Wanting the right to 'free' everything, but what about the right of a section of society who would like to have sexual images of children in the newspapers and on TV, the S$M crowd who might like to have images of people being mutilated, or the right wing gun nuts who might like pictures of soldiers standing on piles of their victims holding up strings of ears ?

'Free' speech and expression is in the eye of the beholder.

7. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 5 years ago

I live in Nashville, and the Legislature here is corupt, illegal, and in-ept in thier actions, and not in touch with the state of the state in the yeaar 2011-2012.

They are trying to keep things like they were back in the 40's, 50's and are without logic and facts in there reasoning. Many folks what the system changed, and the problem is the overbearing Churh of Christ and Baptist Church overtones. No progres so far is possible, except in very small gains.

the lobiest's stand in the upper gallery and shout down to the Legislator's telling them what to say next in thier speaches.
    It is absolutely a rediculous and useless efforet as to what they do or vote on in session. 

This state is the worst for real progress.