jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Apillow fight or a Debate?

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 5 years ago

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (Reuters) – The Republican White House contenders focused their attacks on President Barack Obama and refrained from attacking each other on Monday in their first major debate of the 2012 nominating race.

Here is the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110614/ts_ … epublicans

you tell me, I thought not much substance tonight!

2. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

A complete waste of time. All politicians know how to do is either attack each other, attack the President or read pre-written material from someone else.

This country definitely needs a change from the political BS that is running rampant.

dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

agree

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ron Paul's talking points were all thought up by himself and, at this point, I don't think he even needs to write anything down!

The debate format didn't give him a chance to shine, but lord knows that he was the only one up there not spouting feel-good rhetoric. Nor were his statements simply insulting the President.

3. Mighty Mom profile image89
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Agree, Dutchman.
    Some surprising performances.
    Bachmann actually sounded coherent.
    Gingrich was probably the big winner of the night -- but his campaign is a mess (everyone quit en masse).
    Ron Paul sounded good, I thought.

Scary to me to hear people wanting to reinstate Don't Ask/Don't Tell, allow no abortions under any circumstances, make gay marriage illegal at the federal level.
    Meanwhile, I didn't hear anyone with a positive idea about the economy. So easy to trash the incumbent -- but what would YOU do about it, GOPeople?

dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

if this keeps up, we are in so much trouble with these folks. what a mess.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83

Gingrich?! The winner?! What are you smoking?!?!

Everything the guy had to say was prefaced by "that was taken out of context"

Newsflash: that means you're a liar. Sure, once or twice -- but almost all of his statements for the night started with "that was taken out of context".

Sorry, Gingrich came off as an idiot.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image83

for the record, Ron Paul openly refuses to make marriage a federal issue.

4. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 5 years ago

Agree on Bauchman, a lot of bland vanilla answers though.

5. Evan G Rogers profile image83
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

It was a pretty dumb debate.

The moderator was letting Romney talk more than his share, and 30 seconds to respond to a question is just too short of a time.

"Hey, let's call 'coming up with sound bites' a debate".

At the very least, I now have good reason not to vote for Santorum, Romney, Gingrich, Pawlenty, and Cain.

And no offense to Bachmann, she really had trouble staying on point. She didn't say anything that I disagreed with, but she was really just trying to make sound bite after sound bite.

Ron Paul was the only one up there who had a consistent argument throughout the whole debate AND didn't resort to mindless diatribe.

I know I'll come off sounding like a conspiracy nut, but if you look at the questions that they asked Paul, they were really bad questions that didn't allow him to get into the meat of the issues.

I was disappointed with the debate.

working