What Justifies This?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 12 years ago

Who is this guy "protecting and serving"?

What crime could this girl have committed to deserve this treatment?

Is this simply "one bad apple"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93GNVwok … ure=fvwrel

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

A drunk teenager that beat up a school employee, gets into a confrontation with her mother, then tries to walk away from the scene of a crime?  Overkill... probably.  If the cop wouldn't have knocked her out, however, I'm guessing she probably would have put up one hell of a fight while he was trying to arrest her. 

Is it excusable? Probably not...  But at least post the whole story instead of just the footage that looks the most incriminating against police.

3. mikelong profile image62

I don't see any room for "probablys" here.

There is a criminal justice system designed to ensure punishment is meted out (if the person is found guilty)...

The officer is physically built....and regardless of what the girl did, she is tiny by comparison... 

The officer did not say anything...did not identify himself, and provided no warning...  He decided that he was a middle line backer and could have really hurt her...

All he would need is for her head to collide with the wall....

I can care less about what the girl is accused of doing...there is a way to handle this type of situation without unprofessional, out of control behavior like what is demonstrated here...

Recklessness........

4. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

And that's why you didn't post the whole story?

5. mikelong profile image62

No...it is too bad that you made an assumption about where I derived this clip.

I was simply on Youtube and ran across what you see here..  There was no attached article..

Hence the question I posed: ""What crime could this girl have done to receive this treatment?"

I never had a choice to exclude information, for I had only what you see here...

I hope this provides you with some clarity.... 

The officer's actions are inexcusable...

Should I infer from your line of response that you are trying to justify this officer's behavior, either through emphasizing the girls misdeeds or through what you inaccurately perceived as selective censorship on my part?

6. Sethareal profile image60
    Setharealposted 12 years ago

I'm with Melissa on this, the girl already attacked two people, the cop did the right thing. If someone had beaten you up and then laid her mother out on the sidewalk and then just walked away from the crime scene like nothing happened wouldn't you want the police officer to react this way?

7. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 12 years ago

I'm going to go down the middle here. What did the officer know that you don't?

Did he have 100% certainty who he subdued?

Did the officer know the girl had just committed a violent crime?

Did the officer have reason to expect the girl could and would outrun him and evade arrest?

Did the officer have reason to think she could be armed? It happens - at school - don't kid yourself.

I don't know if the actions of the officer were reasonable or not. The video doesn't tell me what preceded the action.

8. cindi h profile image62
    cindi hposted 12 years ago

The complete video on this was the 15 year old was drunk at school. She attacked a teacher and when her mother arrived and tried to subdue her, she punched her mother in the face! Regardless of this, I think that cop was way over the line in his take down. I could almost see if the suspect far out weighed the cop the need to take him by surprise, but a 15 year old girl??? Really now!!  Just because they wear a uniform of authority, and most likely  BECAUSE they wear the uniform of authority, they too often think that gives them the right to do anything!!

9. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

I'm annoyed that I have absolutely no idea why the cop did this.

As much as I'm an anarchist, usually cops don't bring people down unless they have a good reason.

What'd she do? it looked like she was trying to flee the scene -- but I'm not sure.

-- Now that I've read "Cindi H"'s post about the story (if it's completely true), it sounds like the girl was being violent.

I don't think that this much force had to be used, but -- guess what -- a teacher isn't really allowed to defend themselves anymore in our country. Countless times has a teacher been in trouble for defending themselves.

When you try to flee the scene, expect to be subdued. But the cop went a bit nuts.

10. mikelong profile image62

I am by no means trying to paint this girl to be a saint....

Not at all...

But the girl's actions have no bearing on what the officer did...

Let us say that she did everything that has been posted here...

If the cop had jumped her just a little differently, and her head had hit the wall or the ground a bit harder, say causing her a serious injury, is the cop off the hook?

In this case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyvzWwvRBM

The girl in question may have been driving while drunk, but does this excuse the actions of the police to cover up the driving mistakes of another officer by "creating" (or pulling a "Walt Disney") event that never occurred?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)