jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Culture as Commodity

1. lee custodio profile image87
    lee custodioposted 6 years ago

can culture be reinvented to pump up a country's economy? can it be packaged in such a way that it can produce goods and commodities that would influence the global scene?

1. recommend1 profile image65
      recommend1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes - it is called tourism.

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

The Green folks are trying that very thing I think

2. lee custodio profile image87
    lee custodioposted 6 years ago

that's the stereotypical perspective of looking at it. But how could it be elevated to be something more?

1. recommend1 profile image65
      recommend1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would not say stereotypical perspective - it is just how it is.  Culture as an item is only useful as a commodity for tourism, from holidays to experience it,cultural goods for tourists, dancers and music for the tourists - what other commodity can be made out of how people live ?

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago

"can it be packaged in such a way that it can produce goods and commodities that would influence the global scene?" Yes - that's how it already is called corporate capitalism - Holywood, fashion, media, the arts, television all promote consumer culture - buy, buy, buy, and which affects the whole of the world.

1. lee custodio profile image87
      lee custodioposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thank you! now that's another way at looking at it besides tourism. fashion is a product of culture. so is film and art, mass media....connecting my point,

@recommend1: Samsung is a product/ brand born of South Korea's culture--now, that IS more than looking at culture from a tourism standpoint i believe.

working