jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)

Do you make a difference

1. American View profile image61
    American Viewposted 6 years ago

Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.

William James

I was a NY firefighter for 15 years. I have a good number of rescues of people who were trapped. I hope I made a difference.

Do you make a difference? How?

1. profile image0
      klevifushaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much what you have done for society.
      I am currently enrolled in the Delayed Entry Program of the United States Marine Corps. I am shipping out for basic training on October 17th. Making a difference is one of the main reasons I joined the Corps so I hope that this will be a good way for help out the world and give back to society.

Thank you for this very interesting forum post.

1. profile image0
        klevifushaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

A small typo there. I meant to say "...for me to help out the world and give back to society."

American Viewposted 6 years ago in reply to this

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5163678_f248.jpg

2. K9keystrokes profile image93
        K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You will honor each of us with your future service. Thank you.

3. American View profile image61

Semper Fi. First good luck with the Marines. It will be a great experience that you will have for the rest of your life. You will become brothers with all who serve like you. As a NY firefighter, I know what a brotherhood is. Good luck, be safe, and defend our country with honor.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image74
      schoolgirlforrealposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes I do.
      I've been told everyone can by simple things like being kind, a good listener, etc.
      I make a difference by that and by writing inspirational things on hubpages, and being a caretaker, and...

Simple things are the best. As to care giver, you are doing a great service, and I should know. I have been in a nursing/rehab center since last December. Prior to that I was in another one for 2 years. The people who work there do not get the credit or accolades they deserve, not to mention the low pay. I am curious, why is the cost of health care so high when the cost of labor is so low? I do not want to discuss what CNAs do here but it is all the dirty work. for What? for $7 to $10 per hour. And most are part time so their employers do not have to give them benifits. When I get out of here, I will become a huge advocate for the health care worker and for patient rights. Thank you for what you do

3. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh, you can bet people in your work don't even make a difference when they save lives (or homes), but the fact that they're even willing to go into that line of work is, in itself, something I think most people deeply appreciate.  (The same with anyone who puts his own safety/life on the line for others.)

As for me, I don't work in a field that involves saves people's lives (or even my risking my own, as in the case of police and military people).  I do, though, try to make a difference when I see the chance to at least try.  Safe and non-threatening to my life as it may be, a lot of my writing comes from a wish to at least try to make a difference in someone's life, and in some way.

Speaking for those who are willing to lay down their life for a cause or a stranger, we are not Heros. We do it because we like it. We honor those for who we serve. You do not have to put you life on the line to make a difference. How about hugging the next soldier you see and tell him how proud you are if them. That will mean more to them than any medal. Of go to a local nursing home/rehab cemter. There are many lonely people that would love to chat with someone even if for only 5 minutes. I bet you make a difference and may not even know it. Thanks for responding

2. Julia Chang profile image61
    Julia Changposted 6 years ago

I start at home because I believe this is where it all begins. I'm a single mom of two young kids and if I can make a difference with them and affect their growth and success, then I've made a pretty big difference and contribution to the future.

I agree. Mentoring our chidren, instilling good values like honesty, honor, loyalty is a great place to start.

3. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

I was a special ed teacher for children and adults for over 25 years.now i tutor on occasion.
    I know I made a difference in some lives,even if they didn't appreciate it at the time..LOL big_smile

So true Stacie. Great job working with Special Ed. So many school districts try to push them aside because it hurts there test ratings. The majority of teachers are great and desrve more credit than they get. But there are a few that should think about doing something else. I remember one teacher telling me she had no patience with children. So why become a teacher then. Thanks for being there for those who needed yoju

1. Stacie L profile image87
        Stacie Lposted 6 years ago in reply to this

wink

working